Automatic Computer Naming With Sysprep

Is it possible to automate computer naming using Sysprep? I know that during
an unattended installation, you can use a .udb file to assign computer
names. Is there a way this can be done using a Sysprep answer file? I have
not found out how to do this so far. When using Setup Manager to create a
sysprep.inf file, there is no option to create a .udb file for computer
names, yet when creating an unattend.txt file, this option is present. Is
this because unattended setup sets the computer name while the OS is being
installed and when using Sysprep, the OS is already installed and the
computer name would need to be changed? Could .udb files be used with
sysprep images?

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to automate the assigning of computer
names using a Sysprep image? Using any method - .udb file, script, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Dan DeStefano

Answered your duplicate post in microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment.

"Dan DeStefano" <ddestefanoATiagrDOTnet> wrote in message
> Is it possible to automate computer naming using Sysprep? I know that
> during
> an unattended installation, you can use a .udb file to assign computer
> names. Is there a way this can be done using a Sysprep answer file? I have
> not found out how to do this so far. When using Setup Manager to create a
> sysprep.inf file, there is no option to create a .udb file for computer
> names, yet when creating an unattend.txt file, this option is present. Is
> this because unattended setup sets the computer name while the OS is being
> installed and when using Sysprep, the OS is already installed and the
> computer name would need to be changed? Could .udb files be used with
> sysprep images?
>
> Anyway, does anyone know of a way to automate the assigning of computer
> names using a Sysprep image? Using any method - .udb file, script, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dan DeStefano

TRENDING THREADS