Sign in with
Your question

battlefield 2 or battlefield 2142 sound card recommendation

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
March 6, 2007 1:23:34 AM

hi guy's i have sound blaster live 24 bit sound card. will it make any diffrence if i buy sound blaster x fi. will it help in sound quality and as lot of people say it may help in increasing framrates too in games.
March 6, 2007 5:07:05 AM

X-Fi will sound better than your old SB Live card. Does it increase framerates in games? If so then you probably won't notice it unless you use benchmarking to tell the difference. That's because your SB Live is a dedicated sound card.

If you were to use integrated audio, then you should notice a little better framerates by swtiching over to the X-Fi. That's because integrated audio depends on the CPU to process the sound.
March 6, 2007 7:12:27 PM

Quote:
hi guy's i have sound blaster live 24 bit sound card. will it make any diffrence if i buy sound blaster x fi. will it help in sound quality and as lot of people say it may help in increasing framrates too in games.

It will sound better for newer games since it has EAX 5, so far as speed goes it depends.

See this site for some benches.

The Audigy 2 seems to be just as fast relative to gaming, so maybe not a noticable performance increase, but like I said, it supports newer tech, and maybe some games will start using all 128 voices, in which case you would see a definate improvement.

Centurion
Related resources
March 7, 2007 1:10:16 AM

Hi,

You probably wont see any real difference going from the SB to the X-Fi other than the EAX if you have an EAX speaker setup.
However if you have a look at this link here http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1... you will see that the X fi xtreme gamer has additional features above the regular X fi series which is designed for games; namely X ram which is 64 MB of dedicated ram for your sound card. This is your best bet for better performance when it comes to BF 2142.

Cheers.
March 7, 2007 1:52:19 AM

Quote:
This is your best bet for better performance when it comes to BF 2142.
I'm pretty sure an 8800GTX would show a larger performance increase than an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer. :wink:
March 12, 2007 8:08:34 AM

X-Fi will greatly improve 3D audio positioning when using headphones. I know that, I was using Audigy 1 and I was happy with it, and was a bit sceptical when my friend was telling me how great x-fi is. But I got X-Fi and was amazed from the very first second of playing BF2142 - while still in menu selecting my kit (with camera floating somewhere above game map), I _HEARD_ gunship flying to the left and above me, and 1 sec later I saw it on screen coming from above my left shoulder. Audio positioning is simply amazing, you hear where enemy is on titan, you hear enemy ships in air.
However, BF is the only game I have that takes advantage of x-fi :) , not much difference (if any) in CS:S or WoW. Also I didn't noticed any fps change after switching audio cards.
!