4x AGP, but using win2K it won't come up in 4x. only off.

I'm running "Windows 2000 Profesional" and have a 4X AGP video card, but when
I boot up in Win 2K, and goto my desktop properties, and then settings,
Advance, I then find some tabs, one in question is named "SmartGart(tm)", and
when I click on this tab, it says that my AGP is not on,
I have an ATI Radeon 7500 series card, and if I boot up using ME I have 4x
AGP arcording to the same tab "SmartGart(tm)". Can anyone tell me how to fix
this in the Windows 2K boot up?, thanks in advance for your time.

GeoffW

have you checked if there is a specific win2K driver for the
card ?

Geoff

"CaptKurt" <CaptKurt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> I'm running "Windows 2000 Profesional" and have a 4X AGP
video card, but when
> I boot up in Win 2K, and goto my desktop properties, and
then settings,
> Advance, I then find some tabs, one in question is named
"SmartGart(tm)", and
> when I click on this tab, it says that my AGP is not on,
> I have an ATI Radeon 7500 series card, and if I boot up
using ME I have 4x
> AGP arcording to the same tab "SmartGart(tm)". Can anyone
tell me how to fix
> this in the Windows 2K boot up?, thanks in advance for
your time.

Yes there was an update for the card and Windows 2K, and I installed that.
and my bios is set too for it to be a 4x AGP card. it's baffeling me as to
why this OS is being so hard headed. thank you for your post reply.

"Geoffw" wrote:

> have you checked if there is a specific win2K driver for the
> card ?
>
> Geoff
>
> "CaptKurt" <CaptKurt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > I'm running "Windows 2000 Profesional" and have a 4X AGP
> video card, but when
> > I boot up in Win 2K, and goto my desktop properties, and
> then settings,
> > Advance, I then find some tabs, one in question is named
> "SmartGart(tm)", and
> > when I click on this tab, it says that my AGP is not on,
> > I have an ATI Radeon 7500 series card, and if I boot up
> using ME I have 4x
> > AGP arcording to the same tab "SmartGart(tm)". Can anyone
> tell me how to fix
> > this in the Windows 2K boot up?, thanks in advance for
> your time.

How can I get my 4x AGP to work when booting up in windows 2000 profesional?

CaptKurt wrote:
> I'm running "Windows 2000 Profesional" and have a 4X AGP video card,
> but when I boot up in Win 2K, and goto my desktop properties, and
> then settings, Advance, I then find some tabs, one in question is
> named "SmartGart(tm)", and when I click on this tab, it says that my
> AGP is not on,
> I have an ATI Radeon 7500 series card, and if I boot up using ME I
> have 4x AGP arcording to the same tab "SmartGart(tm)". Can anyone
> tell me how to fix this in the Windows 2K boot up?, thanks in advance
> for your time.

Ensure you are running SP 4 and all the updates

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

I'm up to date with all of the latest fixes, but it still does not run in 4x
mode, using Win 2K. thanks for your reply.

CaptKurt wrote:
> I'm up to date with all of the latest fixes, but it still does not
> run in 4x mode, using Win 2K. thanks for your reply.

I had a similar issue with my nvidia quadro pro graphics card and my
motherboard.

The graphics were running in PCI Compatibility mode rather than AGP
mode.

It took a while to track down but was eventually fixed for my system by
installing the latest VIA 4in1 drivers

http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/4in1/via_hyperion%204%20in%201_v453v.zip

Hope that helps or at least points you in the right direction

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

aThanks for the reply Steve, but I have an ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card,
with the latest drivers too. I'm using a 2ghz P4 with 400 mh front bus, but
still it wants to run in AGP off mode when I use Windows 2K. Again, thank you
for your reply.

"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> CaptKurt wrote:
> > I'm up to date with all of the latest fixes, but it still does not
> > run in 4x mode, using Win 2K. thanks for your reply.
> >

> I had a similar issue with my nvidia quadro pro graphics card and my
> motherboard.
>
> The graphics were running in PCI Compatibility mode rather than AGP
> mode.
>
> It took a while to track down but was eventually fixed for my system by
> installing the latest VIA 4in1 drivers
>
> http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/4in1/via_hyperion%204%20in%201_v453v.zip
>
> Hope that helps or at least points you in the right direction
>

> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Wow, that is something that I have not done yet, but will for sure give it a
try, thank you very much for your reply, and if this does not work, I'll come
back and repost again to let you and others now. again, thank you.

"Jetro" wrote:

> Reinstall chipset drivers.

Thank you one more time, it worked, that did fix it, Jetro, you the man.
thanks.