Bus speed question... or is it?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Celeron
  • Bus Speed
  • Components
Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2007 2:47:59 AM

Bare with me here folks…. I have a question about system bus speed and now different components contribute to the overall ‘speed’ of a system. I’m a novice so any advice/explanations received would be much appreciated. I have a system with a Celeron D 346 that has a FSB of 533 Mhz and DDR2 RAM also running at 533Mhz. The board bus speed is advertised in the manual as 800 Mhz but the system reports running at 533Mhz. I take it this is because the ‘overall’ bus speed is determined by all components throttling back to the lowest speed? Right/wrong? I’m toying with the idea of replacing the Celeron with an 800 Mhz Pentium 4 631 with FSB of 800 Mhz. I take it that the Pentium would also throttle back and run at 533 Mhz because, according to the board manual it can only accept 400 or 533 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM? Yes/no? If so would I notice much of a difference with the Pentium (with Hyper-Threading and 2MB of L2 cache) over the Celeron (only 256KB L2 cache). As you can see this query is from a novice so any pearls of wisdom you would like to share with me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

More about : bus speed question

March 6, 2007 3:27:48 AM

The CPU is a 533. So you are limited by that, even though the MB will support DDR2 800 memory. Even if you use DDR2 800 memory with the celeron, it will down clock it to 533.

Quote:
Model
Brand Intel
Processors Type Desktop
Series Celeron D
Model BX80547RE3066CN
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
Tech Spec
Core Prescott
Multi-Core Single-Core
Name Celeron D 346
Operating Frequency 3.06GHz
FSB 533MHz
L1 Cache 12KB+16KB
L2 Cache 256KB
Manufacturing Tech 90 nm
Vista Ready Yes
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Threading Support No
Virtualization Technology Support No
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Voltage 1.25-1.4V
March 6, 2007 10:01:11 AM

Hi.... thanks for your reply. The board is a Dell 0JC474. It's a Dimension 3100. The manual states the chipset is a 915GV chipset but running the Intel Chipset ID utility it tells me it's a 915G/910GL Express chipset! The 915GV supports 800Mhz bus CPU’s and DDR2 but the 910GL doesn't. Needless to say this makes no sense to me and I'm still wondering what chipset I have!!
Related resources
March 6, 2007 3:23:28 PM

Try Using:

CPU-Z

That should also help verify your chipset and more info on your system.

What are trying to accomplish or understand exactly?
March 6, 2007 4:37:14 PM

Quote:
I have a system with a Celeron D 346 that has a FSB of 533 Mhz and DDR2 RAM also running at 533Mhz. The board bus speed is advertised in the manual as 800 Mhz but the system reports running at 533Mhz. I take it this is because the ‘overall’ bus speed is determined by all components throttling back to the lowest speed? Right/wrong?

Well your wrong
The Mb can run at 800MHZ FSB but as your CPU is for a 533MHz FSB it will run 533
You might want to try overclocking that Celeron as your MB can do higher FSB but as its a dell mb you prob cant...

Quote:
I’m toying with the idea of replacing the Celeron with an 800 Mhz Pentium 4 631 with FSB of 800 Mhz. I take it that the Pentium would also throttle back and run at 533 Mhz because, according to the board manual it can only accept 400 or 533 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM? Yes/no? If so would I notice much of a difference with the Pentium (with Hyper-Threading and 2MB of L2 cache) over the Celeron (only 256KB L2 cache). As you can see this query is from a novice so any pearls of wisdom you would like to share with me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The ram dont have to run at the same speed as your FSB (even if its pref)
You run the FSB/ram with a divider of 3/2 so 800FSB gives 533MHz RAM

The FSB isnt all that determend performance but as u asumed cache playes a vital role how well a CPU perform (esp intel ones)
So going from a Celeron 256kB cache to a pentium 2M cache will give u pretty good gains (like 20-30% in games) at the same clockspeed.

i dont give much for HT but some programs make use of it (and some perform worse).

Hope this helped some
!