SETVER.EXE after format / fdisk - SU995035

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I had a updated to WIN XP Home, and am trying to reinstall WIN 98. So I
fdisked and formated the hard drive. I go to boot the PC with the Win 98 boot
disk and go to reinstall Win 98 from the CD its starts ok but then it stops
and tells me "SU995035. Invalid" . In Microsoft NB 258671 its tell me that
means the "Setver.exe file is damaged" but does not tell me how to fix this
from a Fdisk / Formated Drive. Can someone help? I know this is a Win 2000
discussion put I could not find a Win 98

Can't imagine that would apply since the drive presumably would have nothing
on it. Try fdisk, delete all partition info found then again boot the Win98
CD-Rom. If Windows XP was installed to an extended NTFS partition then
you'll want to boot the XP CD-Rom and when you get to the point delete all
partitions found and abort the install then boot the Win98 CD-Rom to start
your install.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jason" wrote:
|I had a updated to WIN XP Home, and am trying to reinstall WIN 98. So I
| fdisked and formated the hard drive. I go to boot the PC with the Win 98
boot
| disk and go to reinstall Win 98 from the CD its starts ok but then it
stops
| and tells me "SU995035. Invalid" . In Microsoft NB 258671 its tell me that
| means the "Setver.exe file is damaged" but does not tell me how to fix
this
| from a Fdisk / Formated Drive. Can someone help? I know this is a Win 2000
| discussion put I could not find a Win 98

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I did that 2 times and know luck, The Hard Drive was still Fat 32. Even
though I Fdisk / and Formated the C: when I Boot the PC with a floppy to try
to reinstall 98 the old HP splash screen starts before it jummps to the
floppy. So there must be something on the PC

"Jason" wrote:
|I did that 2 times and know luck, The Hard Drive was still Fat 32.
* If you deleted all partition info this wouldn't be possible.

Even
| though I Fdisk / and Formated the C: when I Boot the PC with a floppy to
try
| to reinstall 98 the old HP splash screen starts before it jummps to the
| floppy. So there must be something on the PC
* Don't format and or create partitions, let Win98 setup do this for you.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

How? win 98 will not install on a non-formated or partitioned PC. Will it?
How do I do this?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> "Jason" wrote:
> |I did that 2 times and know luck, The Hard Drive was still Fat 32.
> * If you deleted all partition info this wouldn't be possible.
>
> Even
> | though I Fdisk / and Formated the C: when I Boot the PC with a floppy to
> try
> | to reinstall 98 the old HP splash screen starts before it jummps to the
> | floppy. So there must be something on the PC
> * Don't format and or create partitions, let Win98 setup do this for you.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Use one of the mentioned procedures to delete all partition info then boot
the Win98 CD-Rom

--

"Jason" wrote:
| How? win 98 will not install on a non-formated or partitioned PC. Will it?
| How do I do this?

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

That is what I am doing, and when win 98 goes to install that is when I get
this Messg.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Use one of the mentioned procedures to delete all partition info then boot
> the Win98 CD-Rom
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Jason" wrote:
> | How? win 98 will not install on a non-formated or partitioned PC. Will it?
> | How do I do this?

You may have better luck asking them here.

http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.win98.setup&cat=en_US_f6c53bb5-f921-412d-a996-f0c2e5422626&lang=en&cr=US