CPU Problems during install of OS

I'm having a problem installing an OS onto a machine. It is an older Intel
motherboard with a 700MHz CPU. The hard drive went bad on the system and had
to be replaced. After installing the new HD, I go to install Win2K Pro. The
system goes through the initial setup, but will lock up at different points.
Usually around when it ask for you to approve to the licensing agreement. I
have made it as far to the point, just before it would start to format the
HD. I have replaced the CD ROM drive, IDE cables, RAM and even tried to
install another OS, Win 98SE. It still locks up. I'm thinking that it's
probably the MOBO or CPU. If that is the case then a new system is just
needed. Can any one suggest some other means to do before going with a new
MOBO & CPU? Thanks for your help.
1 answer Last reply
More about problems install

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "JDonahou" wrote:
    | I'm having a problem installing an OS onto a machine. It is an older Intel
    | motherboard with a 700MHz CPU. The hard drive went bad on the system and
    had
    | to be replaced. After installing the new HD, I go to install Win2K Pro.
    The
    | system goes through the initial setup, but will lock up at different
    points.
    | Usually around when it ask for you to approve to the licensing agreement.
    | have made it as far to the point, just before it would start to format the
    | HD. I have replaced the CD ROM drive, IDE cables, RAM and even tried to
    | install another OS, Win 98SE. It still locks up. I'm thinking that it's
    | probably the MOBO or CPU. If that is the case then a new system is just
    | needed. Can any one suggest some other means to do before going with a new
    | MOBO & CPU? Thanks for your help.

CPUs Windows