Millenium O/S Problems

I am running Millenium on my computer...when I start it up everything seems
to run normally.but when it gets to the desktop it goes black..the only thing
visible is the cursor..i hit ctrl-alt-del and the task manager comes up..but
I cannot see anything other than that. How can I fix this problem? WHAT is
the problem?
Help is greatly appreciated.

Try posting in a Millennium group.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Cade Shane" wrote:
|I am running Millenium on my computer...when I start it up everything seems
| to run normally.but when it gets to the desktop it goes black..the only
thing
| visible is the cursor..i hit ctrl-alt-del and the task manager comes
up..but
| I cannot see anything other than that. How can I fix this problem? WHAT is
| the problem?
| Help is greatly appreciated.

Usually caused by a broken Internet Explorer but could also be pretty
park virus. Read here:

Blank desktop or illegal operations error message after you install
Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249191

If you don't have the virus try repairing IE from the command prompt
(with your Windows ME Startup floppy disk "Minimal Boot" option), or by
switching the explorer shell as described in the previous article.

Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;194177

John

Cade Shane wrote:
> I am running Millenium on my computer...when I start it up everything seems
> to run normally.but when it gets to the desktop it goes black..the only thing
> visible is the cursor..i hit ctrl-alt-del and the task manager comes up..but
> I cannot see anything other than that. How can I fix this problem? WHAT is
> the problem?
> Help is greatly appreciated.

You're response would have been greatly appreciated had you directed me to
the right place otherwise you're just wasting time.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try posting in a Millennium group.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Cade Shane" wrote:
> |I am running Millenium on my computer...when I start it up everything seems
> | to run normally.but when it gets to the desktop it goes black..the only
> thing
> | visible is the cursor..i hit ctrl-alt-del and the task manager comes
> up..but
> | I cannot see anything other than that. How can I fix this problem? WHAT is
> | the problem?
> | Help is greatly appreciated.

Might this be direct enough?
http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsme.general&cat=en_US_f7c430e5-d792-43a7-8d48-1c3684f984d7&lang=en&cr=US

--

Cade Shane wrote:
> You're response would have been greatly appreciated had you directed
> me to the right place otherwise you're just wasting time.

How about searching newsgroups? m.p.windowsme.general.
Dave isn't wasting time - just trying to prevent you from doing so, by
posting in the wrong group for your question.

> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
>> Try posting in a Millennium group.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Cade Shane" wrote:
>>> I am running Millenium on my computer...when I start it up
>>> everything seems to run normally.but when it gets to the desktop it
>>> goes black..the only thing visible is the cursor..i hit
>>> ctrl-alt-del and the task manager comes up..but I cannot see
>>> anything other than that. How can I fix this problem? WHAT is the
>>> problem?
>>> Help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...much appreciated.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Might this be direct enough?
> http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsme.general&cat=en_US_f7c430e5-d792-43a7-8d48-1c3684f984d7&lang=en&cr=US
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Cade Shane" <CadeShane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | You're response would have been greatly appreciated had you directed me to
> | the right place otherwise you're just wasting time.

THANKS..PROBLEM SOLVED.