Water Cooling vs fans question

Jrmarsh80

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I am wanting to know if water cooling costs less to run e.g.. Cpu, video card, Northbridge, intake/outtake fans compared to the water pump and maybe included fan, depending on the water cooling unit. With the added wattage and heat from other componants, like p/s. Also would the radiant heat dispersal be less with a water cooler - my room gets very hot in summer and I am wanting a cooler computer and room to sleep in at nights. I was looking at the Zalman RESERATOR2 or the like, not really interested in OC'ing. Would I have to get a unit like this or would something else do. When I upgrade in the next month this will be a gameing pc.

Thanks

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I am wanting to know if water cooling costs less to run e.g.. Cpu, video card, Northbridge, intake/outtake fans compared to the water pump and maybe included fan, depending on the water cooling unit. With the added wattage and heat from other componants, like p/s. Also would the radiant heat dispersal be less with a water cooler - my room gets very hot in summer and I am wanting a cooler computer and room to sleep in at nights. I was looking at the Zalman RESERATOR2 or the like, not really interested in OC'ing. Would I have to get a unit like this or would something else do. When I upgrade in the next month this will be a gameing pc.

Thanks

Cost of running?
That a new question!

Sorry I can't answere that but I can say that the cost of setting up w H2O system vrs a proper case/airflow gives little benifit ratio wise.

Oh...proper airflow does not mean a load of fans!

I run Optron 146's with a 950Mhz OC that are only 2C over room temps.
Simple things like no fan guard on the exit of the case for unrestected airflow and the intake/exit fans in line with one another so as not to "swirl" the hot air around in the case have been my key to efficent low cost cooling.

I also use a high volume exit fan such as Silverstone FM-121 (110 CFM and comes with a speed controler) as well as on the Thermalright SI-120 cooler.
Intake fan is the stock 120mm 54 CFM fan that was on the rear of the case.

The SI-120 cooler has the added benifet of being an aid in cooling the RAM MB voltage regulators and other nearby parts very well.

The air flow comes in cool...right onto the hot and right out the back in a line while allowing the CPU cooler to draw in fresh cool air the whole time.

mrmez

Splendid
When u calc cost of running u need to factor in purchase costs.
A nice hsf will set u back ~$50
A nice cpu water block will also set u back $50
Then add gpu, pump, rad, rez, tubing and connectors.
The $ u spend on a good water sys will = 6hsf's easy.
So.... the answer is no. Even if it is cheaper to run, it will be so margial.

Opertaing noise is MUCH lowwer. Dont buy that resirator BS. Just get a heater core/oil cooler off ebay. Add 2x120mm fans.
Using the Antec 180 now on air, even with my old case+water with the sides off it was more quiet than the 180 :?