AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Hey guys,

I've got an Alienware laptop, with the intel core 2 duo processor (the mobile one) ad its 2 gigahertz, i haven't overclocked it or done anything. I've been using core temp to check on temperature but until today ive never really known whats hot and according to a friend the laptop is overheating on idle.
The average temp of both cores when im just doing simple stuff like word processing or looking at websites is about 55 degrees C.. When im doing more graphical stuff or games, or it is not on its cooler (if just got a simple 2 fan laptop cooler) it can go up to 80 or above.
And even though its supposedly getting to hot the fan never speeds up,
so im wondering are these temps normal for this processor in a laptop, and if not, what can i do about them?

Thanks

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
80°c is close to the max temp a C2D can run at (85°c) before the safeguards kick in and either throttle down the speed or just shutdown the comp so the processor isnt damaged. 55°c isnt too bad, especially for a laptop, but still on the hot side. I would definatly keep the laptop on its cooling pad while your gaming. You might even want to consider buying or building a better one.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
apt403 would be correct in terms of desktops, however, Tjunction max on a notebook C2D is 100c, so all the temps have increased limits of 15c as compared to desktops. CPU throttling begins at ~ 95c, and shutdown is 100c. Your temps are typical, and are OK.

Hope this help,

Comp 8)