Windows 2003 Server local login username and password are ..

2003 DC
I press ctrl+Alt+Delete, bring up the login prompt.
Username and password are completely greyed out.
They look like they are disabled or something.
I can change the domain but nothing else. I haven't rebooted the server,
I'm afraid to.
Help Please!
7 answers Last reply
More about windows 2003 server local login username password

    Hold the shift key just before the logon box appears after restart.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "whathaveidone" wrote:
    | 2003 DC
    | I press ctrl+Alt+Delete, bring up the login prompt.
    | Username and password are completely greyed out.
    | They look like they are disabled or something.
    | I can change the domain but nothing else. I haven't rebooted the server,
    | I'm afraid to.
    | Help Please!

    Hi Dave

    I have seen this a number of times and am totally stumped by it. I know
    of at least 7 others that are too. I am not totally clear about what to
    do here. I will have a 2003 server up for days or even weeks then all of
    a sudden after several perfectly normal logons at the console I get
    this. On every occasion a reboot through terminal services, yes i can
    logon there, restores normality. Where does holding the shift key enter
    in? Do you mean hold it down before and during alt-ctrl-del? Holding it
    down just before the machine comes back up from a reboot won't stop the
    need to reboot in the first place and secondly rebooting always clears
    the problem anyway?? Does holding the shift key down after the reboot
    reset something?

    Is there any chance you could explain this a bit further please as I am
    confused. Sorry if I am missing something obvious here. I would really
    like to understand what is going on when this occurs.

    Regards,

    Paul Lemonidis.

    --
    Paul Lemonidis

    If you have a machine that is set to autologon then the only way to logon as
    another user is to hold the shift key just prior to the CAD box appearing.
    An autologon requires that the password cannot be blank. If the password for
    the autologon account is changed then this greyed out effect is what you
    might see.

    What you're describing is something else. Does Event Viewer log anything
    when this happens?

    --

    "Paul Lemonidis" wrote:

    | Hi Dave
    |
    | I have seen this a number of times and am totally stumped by it. I know
    | of at least 7 others that are too. I am not totally clear about what to
    | do here. I will have a 2003 server up for days or even weeks then all of
    | a sudden after several perfectly normal logons at the console I get
    | this. On every occasion a reboot through terminal services, yes i can
    | logon there, restores normality. Where does holding the shift key enter
    | in? Do you mean hold it down before and during alt-ctrl-del? Holding it
    | down just before the machine comes back up from a reboot won't stop the
    | need to reboot in the first place and secondly rebooting always clears
    | the problem anyway?? Does holding the shift key down after the reboot
    | reset something?
    |
    | Is there any chance you could explain this a bit further please as I am
    | confused. Sorry if I am missing something obvious here. I would really
    | like to understand what is going on when this occurs.
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Paul Lemonidis.

    Hi Dave

    Thanks for your reply. The machine is and has never been configued to
    autologon? What happens is that after weeks of just normal logging on
    and off at the console all of a sudden out of the blue the boxes will
    come up like this when you hit the alt-ctl-del to logon. There is
    nothing in the event logs and the only solution is to reboot the
    machine. The real killer is that if you do not have any remote access
    to it you have no option but to just push the power button. I am lucky
    that I do. I have seen it on both DC's and member servers. In my case
    one server runs Exchange 2003 and the other is a file and print server
    but does have Symantec Anti Virus Corp. Edition 9.0 on it. The Exchange
    server is a DC but holds no FSMO roles and is not a GC either. It was
    the sole AD machine previously. This problem has been there right from
    the word go and was there before I moved the roles so I don't see a
    connection there either. Strangely enough the two new DC's that are
    both GC's and between them hold all five FSMO roles have never had this
    problem. They do nothing else. Then again the problem happens so
    intermittently and I logon at the console of the DC's so infrequently
    it is just possible I have not logged on enough times to see it yet.
    The one and only common thing I can see is that all the machines
    affected with this problem are Dell in my personal experience. The two
    DC's are both IBM boxes. I cannot say for the others unfortunately.

    I would raise a call with PSS but the problem is so intermittent and as
    of yet I cannot reproduce it in a consistent manor. At least if I had
    some idea of what could possibly cause this I may be able to make some
    progress. At the moment I really am stuck at a dead end with no obvious
    way forward. If I can offer any further information please don't
    hesitate to let me know.

    Many thanks in advance for your help.

    Regards,

    Paul Lemonidis.

    --
    Paul Lemonidis

    That is a tough one specially since nothing is written to the Event Log. It
    might be worth your time to try the partner newsgroups here.
    http://members.microsoft.com/partner/support/registered.aspx?nav=ln

    --

    "Paul Lemonidis" wrote:

    | Hi Dave
    |
    | Thanks for your reply. The machine is and has never been configued to
    | autologon? What happens is that after weeks of just normal logging on
    | and off at the console all of a sudden out of the blue the boxes will
    | come up like this when you hit the alt-ctl-del to logon. There is
    | nothing in the event logs and the only solution is to reboot the
    | machine. The real killer is that if you do not have any remote access
    | to it you have no option but to just push the power button. I am lucky
    | that I do. I have seen it on both DC's and member servers. In my case
    | one server runs Exchange 2003 and the other is a file and print server
    | but does have Symantec Anti Virus Corp. Edition 9.0 on it. The Exchange
    | server is a DC but holds no FSMO roles and is not a GC either. It was
    | the sole AD machine previously. This problem has been there right from
    | the word go and was there before I moved the roles so I don't see a
    | connection there either. Strangely enough the two new DC's that are
    | both GC's and between them hold all five FSMO roles have never had this
    | problem. They do nothing else. Then again the problem happens so
    | intermittently and I logon at the console of the DC's so infrequently
    | it is just possible I have not logged on enough times to see it yet.
    | The one and only common thing I can see is that all the machines
    | affected with this problem are Dell in my personal experience. The two
    | DC's are both IBM boxes. I cannot say for the others unfortunately.
    |
    | I would raise a call with PSS but the problem is so intermittent and as
    | of yet I cannot reproduce it in a consistent manor. At least if I had
    | some idea of what could possibly cause this I may be able to make some
    | progress. At the moment I really am stuck at a dead end with no obvious
    | way forward. If I can offer any further information please don't
    | hesitate to let me know.
    |
    | Many thanks in advance for your help.
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Paul Lemonidis.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I have the same problem on 5 or so machines.
    Still no solution, and no I don't use auto-logon.
    I had a box with no issues the other day, rebooted, still no
    issues...the next day I connect at the console, greyed out u/p. Please
    post if you figured it out.

    --
    tqmsux
  7. Hi all,

Windows Server 2003 Login Servers Windows