Should I disassemble my 8800 GTS to watercool it?

digitalchaos

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
I have my parts coming in for a new build and my EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB and Kingwin AS3000 water cooling unit have already arrived. Kingwin was nice enough to include a VGA block. Should I remove the really nice, gloss black air cooler to attach to the card? It appears that the air cooler would actually keep a good portion of the card cool where the water cooler would be colder, but would only cover the GPU. I would rather use the cooler for the northbridge, but I don't think it would fit. What are your opinions?

Also, the Kingwin manual suggests testing the unit after cutting the hoses to length but before attaching the water blocks. I did not invest in a air cooler to keep my CPU cool during the test since the computer has to be on, any suggestions on how to accomplish this test without risking damage to my components?

I appreciate any help!

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I would stick with the stock cooling for your 8800GTS. Unless you have a large radiator (which I'm not sure Kingwin offers.)

To leak test your system you can take a paper clip and short the green wire on your PSU to any of the black wires. I usually just use (with the clip on the top of the 24 pin plug) the 4th pin over and the 6th pin. Here is a link:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=268

digitalchaos

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Thanks guys, I think I'll leave the stock cooler alone. I'm currently a majority of the way through the assembly now, but I will have to remove my memory and HDD assembly to get at my ATX connector so I can do the short you suggested tool_462 (I crammed 5 HDDs in this case). I've had to remove the assembly 3 times already, but I'm gonna do this right the first time. I'm not gonna risk getting my CPU/mobo wet. Again, I appreciate your help!

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
No problem. Leak test for 6-8 hours and you should be fine. You can do it right in the case with it all set up, just don't have any power going to anything except the water pump.