Network not present or not started

I have had to replace my system hard disc because I was getting repeated
boot up faiulures and having to reinstall windows to overcome the problem.

To install the new disc I cloned the old one.
Now everything looks just as it should
On Boot Up I am prompted to OK my user name and password
I have full Admin rights

My connection to the web works fine through the Local Network

BUT
If I attempt to access network places I get the error
Network not present or not started

Going to System>Properties>Network Identification>Properties

Member of is disabled -(not possible to select either Domain or Workgroup -
though Workgroup IS selected and it has the entry 'Home' which is what it
has always been. (The Computer name is also what it always has been)

Jim Bunton

---

As always check Event Viewer for errors. Your personal firewall is probably
blocking some required ports.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jim Bunton" wrote:
|I have had to replace my system hard disc because I was getting repeated
| boot up faiulures and having to reinstall windows to overcome the problem.
|
| To install the new disc I cloned the old one.
| Now everything looks just as it should
| On Boot Up I am prompted to OK my user name and password
| I have full Admin rights
|
| My connection to the web works fine through the Local Network
|
| BUT
| If I attempt to access network places I get the error
| Network not present or not started
|
| Going to System>Properties>Network Identification>Properties
|
| Member of is disabled -(not possible to select either Domain or
Workgroup -
| though Workgroup IS selected and it has the entry 'Home' which is what it
| has always been. (The Computer name is also what it always has been)
|

| Jim Bunton
|

| ---

Thanks for the response Dave:
Don't think the firewall is the problem - I'm trying to contact
computers/directories my side of the firewall on the Local Network.

I've actually solved the problem by doing a full scale repair on the Windows
system. However, in case I meet the problem again it would be useful to have
some ideas about sloving it with less than a complete repair - it takes ages
to install the service packs and seccurity updates afterwards!

It seemed 'odd' that using the system dialogue then
Properties>Network Identification>Properties
to find all the options of 'Member of' disabled.

I could find no way of putting this right.
These options are now available (after full scale repair)

Jim

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> As always check Event Viewer for errors. Your personal firewall is
probably
> blocking some required ports.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Jim Bunton" wrote:
> |I have had to replace my system hard disc because I was getting repeated
> | boot up faiulures and having to reinstall windows to overcome the
problem.

> | To install the new disc I cloned the old one.
> | Now everything looks just as it should
> | On Boot Up I am prompted to OK my user name and password
> | I have full Admin rights
> |
> | My connection to the web works fine through the Local Network
> |
> | BUT
> | If I attempt to access network places I get the error
> | Network not present or not started
> |
> | Going to System>Properties>Network Identification>Properties
> |
> | Member of is disabled -(not possible to select either Domain or
> Workgroup -
> | though Workgroup IS selected and it has the entry 'Home' which is what
it
> | has always been. (The Computer name is also what it always has been)
> |

> | Jim Bunton
> |

> | ---

---