PAE - What exactly is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apparently I have been living in ignorance for years. I
had always known/thought/assumed that When you load the
OS (2k, 2k3, etc) that it will see however much RAM you
have in the system and address it accordingly, depending
upon it's own limitations, 4gb for 2k standard, 8gb for
Adv. Server etc. And this appears to be true for the
servers I have setup in the past. However, I just found
out about the PAE switch for use in the Boot.ini.

What exactly is PAE, how does it differ from the default
memory management system used by NT based systems? Is it
something that needs to be configured on ALL systems that
have memory in excess of 2gb? And if it is so important
to the functioning of the system, why haven't I, or
anyone I know of heard about it?

Confused,

Shuff

This link may help.