Windows 2000 Server Long Boot

I'm not sure if this is in the right group.

I have a Windows 2000 Server box with SP4. And Echange 2000 installed.

This weekend it rtan out of disk space. So when I arrived at the office I
cleaned up the drive and managed to free 10GB.

When I went to restart the machine. It took almost a half an hour to reboot
and once it did finally come up most of the services had not started and will
not if you try to start them manually. I have checked security settings and
checked the drive everything seems to be OK.

Any Ideas how to get this fixed fast?

Thanks,

Sparky

Check Event Viewer for error details.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Sparky10020" wrote:
| I'm not sure if this is in the right group.
|
| I have a Windows 2000 Server box with SP4. And Echange 2000 installed.
|
| This weekend it rtan out of disk space. So when I arrived at the office I
| cleaned up the drive and managed to free 10GB.
|
| When I went to restart the machine. It took almost a half an hour to
reboot
| and once it did finally come up most of the services had not started and
will
| not if you try to start them manually. I have checked security settings
and
| checked the drive everything seems to be OK.
|
| Any Ideas how to get this fixed fast?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Sparky

Yeah I did. What I got was a load of Service Control errors (7001) ion the
System log and A few Userenv (1000)

And if it helps I can no longer interact with the ADUAC MMC.

Thanks for the reply.

Sparky

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check Event Viewer for error details.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Sparky10020" wrote:
> | I'm not sure if this is in the right group.
> |
> | I have a Windows 2000 Server box with SP4. And Echange 2000 installed.
> |
> | This weekend it rtan out of disk space. So when I arrived at the office I
> | cleaned up the drive and managed to free 10GB.
> |
> | When I went to restart the machine. It took almost a half an hour to
> reboot
> | and once it did finally come up most of the services had not started and
> will
> | not if you try to start them manually. I have checked security settings
> and
> | checked the drive everything seems to be OK.
> |
> | Any Ideas how to get this fixed fast?
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Sparky

When you view the logged events in Event Viewer in the upper right corner,
third button down is a copy to clipboard, then you can paste in the body of
a reply message.

Please do so for each of the different system events since last boot so we
can see all of the event detail.

--

"sparky10020" wrote:
| Yeah I did. What I got was a load of Service Control errors (7001) ion
the
| System log and A few Userenv (1000)
|
| And if it helps I can no longer interact with the ADUAC MMC.
|
| Thanks for the reply.
|
| Sparky

Thanks Dave,

Here is one of the service control errors. Aside from the service that is
listed they all say the same thing (The Account Name is invalid). Even
services that are set as the system account.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7001
Date: 11/22/2004
Time: 5:35:37 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ANUBIS
The Kerberos Key Distribution Center service depends on the Remote Procedure
Call (RPC) service which failed to start because of the following error:
The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid
for the account name specified.

From the application Log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/22/2004
Time: 5:38:27 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ANUBIS
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722).

Does this help?

Thanks again,

Sparky

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> When you view the logged events in Event Viewer in the upper right corner,
> third button down is a copy to clipboard, then you can paste in the body of
> a reply message.
>
> Please do so for each of the different system events since last boot so we
> can see all of the event detail.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "sparky10020" wrote:
> | Yeah I did. What I got was a load of Service Control errors (7001) ion
> the
> | System log and A few Userenv (1000)
> |
> | And if it helps I can no longer interact with the ADUAC MMC.
> |
> | Thanks for the reply.
> |
> | Sparky

Seems the system account has somehow been damaged. You're probably looking
at a rebuild here.

--

"sparky10020" wrote:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| Here is one of the service control errors. Aside from the service that is
| listed they all say the same thing (The Account Name is invalid). Even
| services that are set as the system account.
|
| Event Type: Error
| Event Source: Service Control Manager
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 7001
| Date: 11/22/2004
| Time: 5:35:37 PM
| User: N/A
| Computer: ANUBIS
| The Kerberos Key Distribution Center service depends on the Remote
Procedure
| Call (RPC) service which failed to start because of the following error:
| The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid
| for the account name specified.
|
| For more information, see Help and Support Center at
| http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
|
| From the application Log:
|
| Event Type: Error
| Event Source: Userenv
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 1000
| Date: 11/22/2004
| Time: 5:38:27 PM
| User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
| Computer: ANUBIS
| Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722).
|
| For more information, see Help and Support Center at
| http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
|
| Does this help?
|
| Thanks again,
|
| Sparky

Ugh. As in rebuild the whole computer or rebuild the Active Directory. Or
would a repair from the setup CD work?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Seems the system account has somehow been damaged. You're probably looking
> at a rebuild here.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "sparky10020" wrote:
> | Thanks Dave,
> |
> | Here is one of the service control errors. Aside from the service that is
> | listed they all say the same thing (The Account Name is invalid). Even
> | services that are set as the system account.
> |
> | Event Type: Error
> | Event Source: Service Control Manager
> | Event Category: None
> | Event ID: 7001
> | Date: 11/22/2004
> | Time: 5:35:37 PM
> | User: N/A
> | Computer: ANUBIS
> | The Kerberos Key Distribution Center service depends on the Remote
> Procedure
> | Call (RPC) service which failed to start because of the following error:
> | The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid
> | for the account name specified.
> |
> | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
> | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
> |
> | From the application Log:
> |
> | Event Type: Error
> | Event Source: Userenv
> | Event Category: None
> | Event ID: 1000
> | Date: 11/22/2004
> | Time: 5:38:27 PM
> | User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> | Computer: ANUBIS
> | Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722).
> |
> | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
> | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
> |
> | Does this help?
> |
> | Thanks again,
> |
> | Sparky

Probably the whole computer. You can try;

How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

--

"sparky10020" wrote:
| Ugh. As in rebuild the whole computer or rebuild the Active Directory.
Or
| would a repair from the setup CD work?

Thank you very much Dave. I'll let you know if it works.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Probably the whole computer. You can try;
>
> How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118
>

> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP
>
> What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "sparky10020" wrote:
> | Ugh. As in rebuild the whole computer or rebuild the Active Directory.
> Or
> | would a repair from the setup CD work?

You might also get in touch with Microsoft product support. They may have a
way to reestablish the system account. I'm surprised the server even starts.

--

"sparky10020" wrote:
| Thank you very much Dave. I'll let you know if it works.

Long shot...

Disabled Kerberos Key Distribution Prevents Exchange Services from Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B316710

I have no clue if that will help or not, as I said a long shot and maybe
something to check if you're at the point you're at.

John

sparky10020 wrote:
> Ugh. As in rebuild the whole computer or rebuild the Active Directory. Or
> would a repair from the setup CD work?
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>

>>Seems the system account has somehow been damaged. You're probably looking
>>at a rebuild here.
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>>Microsoft Certified Professional
>>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>>"sparky10020" wrote:
>>| Thanks Dave,
>>|
>>| Here is one of the service control errors. Aside from the service that is
>>| listed they all say the same thing (The Account Name is invalid). Even
>>| services that are set as the system account.
>>|
>>| Event Type: Error
>>| Event Source: Service Control Manager
>>| Event Category: None
>>| Event ID: 7001
>>| Date: 11/22/2004
>>| Time: 5:35:37 PM
>>| User: N/A
>>| Computer: ANUBIS
>>| The Kerberos Key Distribution Center service depends on the Remote
>>Procedure
>>| Call (RPC) service which failed to start because of the following error:
>>| The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid
>>| for the account name specified.
>>|
>>| For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>>| http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>>|
>>| From the application Log:
>>|
>>| Event Type: Error
>>| Event Source: Userenv
>>| Event Category: None
>>| Event ID: 1000
>>| Date: 11/22/2004
>>| Time: 5:38:27 PM
>>| User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>>| Computer: ANUBIS
>>| Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722).
>>|
>>| For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>>| http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>>|
>>| Does this help?
>>|
>>| Thanks again,
>>|
>>| Sparky

Thanks. But, that's the first thing I tried.

The Service is set to load Automatically and I can't even start it manually.
I get "The service did respond in a timely manner."

Thanks though,

"John John" wrote:

> Long shot...
>
> Disabled Kerberos Key Distribution Prevents Exchange Services from Starting
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B316710
>
> I have no clue if that will help or not, as I said a long shot and maybe
> something to check if you're at the point you're at.
>
> John
>
> sparky10020 wrote:
> > Ugh. As in rebuild the whole computer or rebuild the Active Directory. Or
> > would a repair from the setup CD work?
> >
> > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
> >

> >>Seems the system account has somehow been damaged. You're probably looking
> >>at a rebuild here.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Regards,
> >>
> >>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> >>Microsoft Certified Professional
> >>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> >>Procedure

Just wanted to let everyone know.

It's fixed. The In-Place Upgrade worked. It is still a DC and all I have
to do is get the updates installed and get exchange working.

Thank you for you answers!

Sparky

"Sparky10020" wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is in the right group.
>
> I have a Windows 2000 Server box with SP4. And Echange 2000 installed.
>
> This weekend it rtan out of disk space. So when I arrived at the office I
> cleaned up the drive and managed to free 10GB.
>
> When I went to restart the machine. It took almost a half an hour to reboot
> and once it did finally come up most of the services had not started and will
> not if you try to start them manually. I have checked security settings and
> checked the drive everything seems to be OK.
>
> Any Ideas how to get this fixed fast?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sparky

Glad to hear this. Thanks for the feedback.