AT & Solo questions

Last response: in Video Games
February 2, 2005 12:20:48 PM

Hey All,
Well I had this whole post typed out and hit cancel instead of
submit. Gah. Here goes again.

I'm a CoH newbie and I'm having some trouble. I had a blast
creating a story for my hero, she's got an origin, mythology and
everything (ok so I'm a geek). Her story involves a phoenix and her
name: Jade Phoenix sort of implied fire. ;)  Her story did too so I
looked at fire tanker, fire controller and fire blaster. I went with
blaster. She did great for hte first 10 levels or so and then things
ground to a halt.

I tend to solo alot. I like to group, don't get me wrong, but I
rarely have play time to do so. Mostly I jump on, run through a
mission from a contact and log off with a litlte more of the Paragon
City story. Loving that its all tied together and I keep finding out
more as I go. But at 10 my missions all turned orange. Sometimes
there would be red baddies, but never blue or evena nd always in big
groups. I can take a group of 3 or 4 even cons but 2 or 3 orange? I'm
dead. And these missions are all full of groups of 5 - 10 oranges with
some reds sprinkled in!

I had hoped the slider update would work like AO so I could
essentially make missions easier when I was soloing and harder when I
was grouped. Guess not, harder seems to be the only option (WHY would
anyone want harder? Even when I group we get wiped out!)

I'm getting frustrated. :(  It seems like now every time I get a
mission I have to go level up onece, usually twice before I can try to
tackle it. That or take the time to find a group willing to do my
missions. (I've grouped a few times and no one seems to talk. They
just follow the leader around to his missions and then disband. Maybe
I'm on the wrong server.)

I love my character but I'm getting frustrated. Did I choose the
wrong AT to solo? Maybe I chose the wrong powers or don't have them
"slotted" correctly? Where do I figure out the best way to do this
stuff? Any help would really be appreciated. (If it will help I can
write down what powers I took with her and post them dont' have that in
front of me right now.)

Thanks guys!
Jade Phoenix

More about : solo questions

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:38:41 PM

Tandaina wrote:

> I'm a CoH newbie and I'm having some trouble. I had a blast
> creating a story for my hero, she's got an origin, mythology and
> everything (ok so I'm a geek). Her story involves a phoenix and her
> name: Jade Phoenix sort of implied fire. ;)  Her story did too so I
> looked at fire tanker, fire controller and fire blaster. I went with
> blaster. She did great for hte first 10 levels or so and then things
> ground to a halt.

What secondary powerset do you have? I love my lvl 23 Fire/Dev
Blaster. The trick to playing him is Caltrops to slow the enemy down.
I'm not familiar with the other secondaries, so I can't really help
with those.

> I tend to solo alot. I like to group, don't get me wrong, but I
> rarely have play time to do so. Mostly I jump on, run through a
> mission from a contact and log off with a litlte more of the Paragon
> City story. Loving that its all tied together and I keep finding out
> more as I go. But at 10 my missions all turned orange. Sometimes
> there would be red baddies, but never blue or evena nd always in big
> groups. I can take a group of 3 or 4 even cons but 2 or 3 orange?
I'm
> dead. And these missions are all full of groups of 5 - 10 oranges
with
> some reds sprinkled in!

When you gain a level the mission stays at the old level. A fast way
to level your blaster is to go to hazard zones and find big groups of
green cons to blast.

> I had hoped the slider update would work like AO so I could
> essentially make missions easier when I was soloing and harder when I
> was grouped. Guess not, harder seems to be the only option (WHY
would
> anyone want harder? Even when I group we get wiped out!)

Scrappers likes to have harder missions. He gets bored with even cons.
My blaster however prefers greens and blues when solo.

> I'm getting frustrated. :(  It seems like now every time I get a
> mission I have to go level up onece, usually twice before I can try
> tackle it. That or take the time to find a group willing to do my
> missions. (I've grouped a few times and no one seems to talk. They
> just follow the leader around to his missions and then disband.
Maybe
> I'm on the wrong server.)

Usually, if I want to make sure my missions get done, I do the
recruiting. Some days/times are easier than others to find people, but
CoH has a great "Find Member" function that makes it easy to put
together a team.

> I love my character but I'm getting frustrated. Did I choose the
> wrong AT to solo? Maybe I chose the wrong powers or don't have them
> "slotted" correctly? Where do I figure out the best way to do this
> stuff? Any help would really be appreciated. (If it will help I can
> write down what powers I took with her and post them dont' have that
in
> front of me right now.)

You picked a glass canon, which may not be the best first character.
My first was a scrapper because I read they were solo friendly and I
tend to play in small increments of time.

Good luck. If you are on Liberty give me a /tell. I'm playing most
often with 'Bark Lee' right now, but put time in with 'Scorcho' and
'Nynaeve' as well.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:06:45 PM

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1107364848.837217.295800
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I'm a CoH newbie and I'm having some trouble. I had a blast
> creating a story for my hero, she's got an origin, mythology and
> everything (ok so I'm a geek). Her story involves a phoenix and her
> name: Jade Phoenix sort of implied fire. ;)  Her story did too so I
> looked at fire tanker, fire controller and fire blaster. I went with
> blaster. She did great for hte first 10 levels or so and then things
> ground to a halt.

You may already know this, but if not, go to the CoH forums and look under
the blaster forums for good advice on builds and strategy.

https://boards.cityofheroes.com/ubbthreads.php

--
The Soliphist asks...
What assertion do you make to validate your existence?

Bad fingers, not broken, "broke" as in cashless. ;)
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:44:05 PM

Tandaina wrote:

> I've played an illusion
> controller (ok only to 8) and really loved being able to just lock
> down a situation and wittle away at it. I miss that with my blaster.
> Do controllers solo ok? I understand they are still fragile but can at
> least keep stuff at bay well.

I've played ice, grav, and stone controllers with ice being my main.
Technically you can solo as one of these controllers, but expect it to
take a really really REALLY long time. The damage output just isn't
there. If anything resists you'll have a bit of a problem, same for if
the group is too big. Endurance becomes an issue as well. Basically, if
you can solo it as one of these controllers, you should be able to solo
it as a fire blaster. I haven't tried either of the mind or illusion
controllers enough to really say anything about them, so that may be
different.

My fiancee currently plays a fire/fire blaster, and I play the ice/storm
controller, and it works together really well. If you can find one
person to group with regularly that compliments you well, it makes a
huge difference. Also might try some stuff a little differently. Like
someone mentioned, if you throw down rain of fire between you and the
mobs, they have a tendency to not want to cross it. Also if they're
meleeing you down, try to hover up out of reach, and let them have it
from a distance. Ring of fire one or two as you run around a corner, and
break the group up. You'll pick up little tricks as you play. I know
when I made my second character, things went a LOT easier and made me
wonder why I had such a hard time before :)
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:56:12 PM

All,
Thanks for all the feed back! I think I might want to go look into
a scrapper or tanker and see if I can come up with a hero I like.
Won't play one I can't think up a story for but I'm sure something will
come to me. ;)  Might even port the phoenix thing to a fire tanker and
see how I like her.

Just for kicks here is my current build:
Main:
Fire Blast
Fire Ball
Rain of Fire
Fire Breath
Aim

Secondary:
Ring of Fire
Combustion

Flight:
Hover
Fly

If I think I can snipe one guy out a group I open with Fire Blast and
fall back to kill him. If I don't think I can do that I open with Fire
Ball, then Fire Ring the highest level baddie and drop Rain of Fire on
his head.

Then I start working through the others with whatever is available,
keeping the boss or lt. locked down with ring of fire.

For fairly small groups or low level groups this works really well.
For higher level groups I usually get half way through and am either
dead or have to run.

I really wish I'd skipped Combustion, I never use it. Fire Breath
isn't really useful either since I have to be WAY closer than I like.
I know they're all slotted up pretty badly since I didn't have a clue
what I was doing. I've got my free respec waiting so I'm not TOO
worried.

I may try an "easier" character for a bit to get a better feel for
things and then go back to my blaster. She's just fun and I love RPing
her but maybe she's not the best choice just starting out. ;)

(Any spec suggestions for changes to the above would be great.)

Oh, double checked, my difficulty is still set to "Hard-Boiled", no
idea why I'm seeing Oranges and Reds in my missions since it sounds
like they should be even?

Jade Pheonix
Protector
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:43:28 PM

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Hey All,
>Well I had this whole post typed out and hit cancel instead of
>submit. Gah. Here goes again.
>
>I'm a CoH newbie and I'm having some trouble. I had a blast
>creating a story for my hero, she's got an origin, mythology and
>everything (ok so I'm a geek). Her story involves a phoenix and her
>name: Jade Phoenix sort of implied fire. ;)  Her story did too so I
>looked at fire tanker, fire controller and fire blaster. I went with
>blaster. She did great for hte first 10 levels or so and then things
>ground to a halt.

Blasters can be very tough to play, unless you happen to have the
"right" powers and strategy, since they are very fragile.

Some solo fairly well, others just don't.

>I tend to solo alot. I like to group, don't get me wrong, but I
>rarely have play time to do so. Mostly I jump on, run through a
>mission from a contact and log off with a litlte more of the Paragon
>City story. Loving that its all tied together and I keep finding out
>more as I go. But at 10 my missions all turned orange. Sometimes
>there would be red baddies, but never blue or evena nd always in big
>groups. I can take a group of 3 or 4 even cons but 2 or 3 orange? I'm
>dead. And these missions are all full of groups of 5 - 10 oranges with
>some reds sprinkled in!

I too tend to solo a lot, ok I admit it, most of the time I solo.

I soloed a blaster - it was very easy to start (as you found) then got
tougher.
Blasters also have no status protection (holds, sleeps, stuns) so
soloing starts to get really tough later on.

If you really like to solo, the only "real" choices are Scrappers or
Tankers, since they're the only ones that can dish out the damage, take
a fair bit of damage and survive and have status protection.

>I had hoped the slider update would work like AO so I could
>essentially make missions easier when I was soloing and harder when I
>was grouped. Guess not, harder seems to be the only option (WHY would
>anyone want harder? Even when I group we get wiped out!)

Many hoped this, but the Devs just don't seem to understand that making
it easier won't break things.

Some builds find the default difficulty far too easy - even soloing.
IE my invuln/Energy Melee tanker. The day issue 3 came out I cranked
the difficulty to maximum and the enjoyment went up - finally I was
getting challenging fights again.
[For that tanker, missions where the lowest thing is orange and the
highest is purple are the best.]

>I'm getting frustrated. :(  It seems like now every time I get a
>mission I have to go level up onece, usually twice before I can try to
>tackle it. That or take the time to find a group willing to do my
>missions. (I've grouped a few times and no one seems to talk. They
>just follow the leader around to his missions and then disband. Maybe
>I'm on the wrong server.)
>
>I love my character but I'm getting frustrated. Did I choose the
>wrong AT to solo? Maybe I chose the wrong powers or don't have them
>"slotted" correctly? Where do I figure out the best way to do this
>stuff? Any help would really be appreciated. (If it will help I can
>write down what powers I took with her and post them dont' have that in
>front of me right now.)

I see others have pointed you to hero planner (an invaluable aid), and
this group is certainly always willing to help.

Unfortunately, you may find that your existing character just doesn't
have much of a soloing future.

If you really do want to solo, you'll probably have to pick an AT and
build that's good at soloing, AND fun.

A lot of fun concepts just don't function well solo and that's not too
likely to change since the Devs have a passion for "encouraging" people
to group by making it near impossible to function outside a group.

Tankers and scrappers are the only ATs that really have a chance to solo
well throughout all the levels and still remain pretty fun.

Xocyll
February 2, 2005 8:53:03 PM

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1107364848.837217.295800
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I love my character but I'm getting frustrated. Did I choose the
> wrong AT to solo? Maybe I chose the wrong powers or don't have them
> "slotted" correctly? Where do I figure out the best way to do this
> stuff? Any help would really be appreciated. (If it will help I can
> write down what powers I took with her and post them dont' have that in
> front of me right now.)

You picked, like Scorcho mentioned, a glass cannon. Fire blasters do
great damage, but are exceptionally weak on defence. Of course, this is
mitigated by what secondary you picked. I have found that a Fire/Ice
blaster is great for soloing. The ice secondary has a really nice hold as
it's L1 power, and most of the attacks (in the secondary) have slow,
hold, or sleep components.

In all honesty, the best solo AT depends on your playstyle. If you have a
slightly suicidal playstyle, then the scrapper will be best for you as a
soloer. They have pretty high damage, and their defenses are second only
to the tanker. If you prefer more of a slow pace, go with a tanker. Their
damage is low, so it will take you time, but they have the best defenses
in the game.

To plan your hero, from start to finish, the best tool so far (although
it is slightly outdated and hasn't been updated to include Issue 3) is
Hero Planner

http://coh.warcry.com/index.php/content/community/plann...
..php

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y1FB316B8

The latest version is 1.56.

As for what powers you have, sure, post them here (if you get the hero
planner tool, you should be able to remember them, no problem)

--
Marcel
Anonymous

In article
<1107364848.837217.295800@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, Tandaina
wrote:
> Well I had this whole post typed out and hit cancel instead of
> submit. Gah. Here goes again.
>
> I'm a CoH newbie and I'm having some trouble. I had a blast
> creating a story for my hero, she's got an origin, mythology
> and everything (ok so I'm a geek). Her story involves a
> phoenix and her name: Jade Phoenix sort of implied fire. ;)
> Her story did too so I looked at fire tanker, fire controller
> and fire blaster. I went with blaster. She did great for hte
> first 10 levels or so and then things ground to a halt.

Difficulty ramps updown somewhat around level 8, and doen't slack
again until level 12 to 14, depending on how much influence
you've got.

But as a Fire Blaster you shouldn't be having *serious*
difficulty problems until over level 40. ;)

> But at 10 my missions all turned orange. Sometimes there would
> be red baddies, but never blue or evena nd always in big
> groups. I can take a group of 3 or 4 even cons but 2 or 3
> orange? I'm dead. And these missions are all full of groups of
> 5 - 10 oranges with some reds sprinkled in!

I'm guessing you accidentally changed your difficulty slider.
That should not happen in your missions unless you've raised your
difficulty level. The most you should ever see while solo is +1
level opponents. That means minions would be yellow, liuets
orange and bosses red. Click on your mission tab and make sure it
says "Hard-Boiled" (although this name is going to be changed).

> I had hoped the slider update would work like AO so I could
> essentially make missions easier when I was soloing and harder
> when I was grouped. Guess not, harder seems to be the only
> option (WHY would anyone want harder? Even when I group we get
> wiped out!)

Harder generally means more XP, as long as it's not so hard that
you get slowed down or defeated too often.

> I love my character but I'm getting frustrated. Did I choose
> the wrong AT to solo?

You didn't pick the best one for doing missions. Fire Blasters
can get XP really fast by hunting packs of -levels, but they have
virtually no defenses (depending on their secondary).

> Maybe I chose the wrong powers or don't have them "slotted"
> correctly? Where do I figure out the best way to do this
> stuff? Any help would really be appreciated. (If it will help
> I can write down what powers I took with her and post them
> dont' have that in front of me right now.)

Here's a few simple rules for slotting.

Never spend a new enhancement slot on Brawl, Rest, or Sprint. At
low levels, don't spend them in any of your secondary powers,
either. You're secondary powers are good, but not nearly as good
as the primary powers you get at these levels (with the exception of
Rain of Fire, which is fairly weak).

Slot your primary damage powers about equally, except for Rain of
Fire, which doesn't need improving in order to do what it's good
for (making stuff flee).

Buy accuracy and damage for your attack powers. For running
missions, accuracy is most important at low levels. Three to four
of them is not overdoing it. Make the rest damage. Once you can
buy Dual Origin enhancements, you can lower that number to two to
three.

At level 10, I hope you took:

(Ring of Fire), Flares, Fire Blast, Fire Ball, Hover, Fire
Breath, Stealth

Hover is extremely valuable when you are soloing your missions.
So is Stealth.

If you took, for example:

(Ring of Fire), Flares, Fire Sword, Combustion, Rain of Fire,
Jump Kick, Fire Sword Circle

Then you will not be able to solo your own missions worth a damn.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I tend to solo alot. I like to group, don't get me wrong, but I
> rarely have play time to do so. Mostly I jump on, run through a
> mission from a contact and log off with a litlte more of the Paragon
> City story. Loving that its all tied together and I keep finding out
> more as I go.

That's exactly how I play; I chose a fire tanker for mostly-soloing.
Blasters are very fragile and really need a tank or a defender to keep
the mobs at bay while they, well, blast.

> But at 10 my missions all turned orange. Sometimes
> there would be red baddies, but never blue or evena nd always in big
> groups. I can take a group of 3 or 4 even cons but 2 or 3 orange? I'm
> dead. And these missions are all full of groups of 5 - 10 oranges with
> some reds sprinkled in!

Huh. AFAIK, you should always see primarily white minions, yellow lts and
orange bosses - with some shifting for tougher missions, like two orange
lts or a red boss.

> I had hoped the slider update would work like AO so I could
> essentially make missions easier when I was soloing and harder when I
> was grouped. Guess not, harder seems to be the only option (WHY would
> anyone want harder? Even when I group we get wiped out!)

+0 (equal to your own level) is as low as you can go for missions. You
can always street-hunt in lower zones, but I know that can be tedious.

As for harder, look at some of the recent threads - once a damage dealer
gets into the range where they have buff and protective powers ramped up,
it's really boring to take on +0 stuff. I run at about +2 (yellow
minions, orange/red lts, red/purple bosses) and it's just about the right
balance for me - plenty of XP and challenge, but no worries about getting
one-shotted by a boss I didn't see behind a door. :p

> I'm getting frustrated. :(  It seems like now every time I get a
> mission I have to go level up onece, usually twice before I can try to
> tackle it.

I certainly got a few missions I set aside for a level, particularly ones
where there are two different bosses in a group. But it shouldn't be more
than about one per level. It sounds like maybe you have your mission
slider set higher than you want it - it should be on Hard-Boiled, which
is the lowest (no foe increase) setting. At that, you should see white
minions etc.

> I love my character but I'm getting frustrated. Did I choose the
> wrong AT to solo? Maybe I chose the wrong powers or don't have them
> "slotted" correctly? Where do I figure out the best way to do this
> stuff? Any help would really be appreciated. (If it will help I can
> write down what powers I took with her and post them dont' have that in
> front of me right now.)

Go find the Hero Planner utility and play with it. It's not always
completely up to date with the latest changes, but it's close and will
let you see how different builds can be put together - power choices,
slotting, etc. What it won't tell you is how those powers will actually
play, so for that you'll need to ask questions (in here or the official
forums for your archetype), or just experiment.

What server are you on?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

<snip>
>I don't like melee classes in any game.

I used to be like this. Started out with Blasters and Defenders in COH
and absolutely loathed the melee types because of chasing runners.

Always played mage type or other ranged users in games where that was an
option.

But eventually I came around, and a target next and follow bind was a
big part of that since it wasn't a hassle to move to the next target.

In CoH, melee can actually be fun, and more importantly, the melee
classes are pretty well balanced and solo well, since they have to be
tough to survive in melee range.

You might want to take another look (always helps if you can come up
with a good character concept to go with it - at least I find it does.)

Xocyll
February 2, 2005 11:39:13 PM

Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:
>> I'm on Protector right now.

> If you do decide to re-roll onto Infinity, look me up.

Ditto on Victory; alts below. I'm almost always on as my main alt these
days, but would be happy to play another one for a lower-level team.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:41:11 AM

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1107379566.593026.35480
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Bad fingers, not broken, "broke" as in cashless. ;)

Ahh, then go into GC or AP, and find some lowbie who wants help and
exemplar yourself down to his/her/its level. Voila, more inf.

--
Marcel
Anonymous

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1107388572.802573.131760
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Just for kicks here is my current build:
> Main:
> Fire Blast
> Fire Ball
> Rain of Fire
> Fire Breath
> Aim
>
> Secondary:
> Ring of Fire
> Combustion
>
> Flight:
> Hover
> Fly

> I really wish I'd skipped Combustion, I never use it. Fire Breath
> isn't really useful either since I have to be WAY closer than I like.
> I know they're all slotted up pretty badly since I didn't have a clue
> what I was doing. I've got my free respec waiting so I'm not TOO
> worried.

If I were you I would respec out of combustion and rain of fire, although
I have heard rain of fire is good for when you get in over your head.

Your number one priority right now should be stealth. The defense bonus
is only 7.5 percent, but later you can slot it with 5 SO defense buffs
and with that and hover, you get a 20% defense bonus. With perma-haste,
25%. Thats about the best you can do with a blaster (actualy you can get
up to 38.5% by slotting all three with defense buff, but I think your
slots are best spent elsewhere).

The real advantage to stealth though, is your ability to set up your AoE
attacks at fairly close range without being detected, allowing you to
find the best direction for fire breath and being able to use aim and/or
buildup without being under fire the whole time. 6-slot fire breath and
fire ball, they are you bread and butter when soloing. Always use fire
breath before fireball since it is DoT (increases the kill rate).

Take swift from the fitness pool, it allows you to move at a pretty good
speed when stealthed. You will most definately need stamina, also from
the fitness pool. Take stamina as soon as possible. When you get it you
will wonder how you ever got along without it.

That leaves you with one power pool. Take hasten. Fire/fire is weak on
defense so you need to lay down a lot of damage very quickly.

It's too bad you didn't take ice instead of fire in your secondary. I
have a 35 fire/ice blaster and he solos well. Ice patch is great for
mitigating melee damage (and even though you have hover, you will often
find your self in areas with low ceilings where you just can't stay out
of melee range).

If you solo any blaster you will get real familiar with the hospital
locations pretty quick. Soloing a fire blaster will get you a volume
discount. They generate a lot of aggro and don't have any secondary
effects in their attacks to mitigate damage. You just have to learn your
limits and don't worry about debt too much. Carry lots of purples and
pinks for the tough guys and you can do fairly well.

--
The Soliphist asks...
What assertion do you make to validate your existence?
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:16:53 PM

In article <1107388572.802573.131760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, Tandaina wrote:
> All,
> Thanks for all the feed back! I think I might want to go look into
> a scrapper or tanker and see if I can come up with a hero I like.
> Won't play one I can't think up a story for but I'm sure something will
> come to me. ;)  Might even port the phoenix thing to a fire tanker and
> see how I like her.
>
> Just for kicks here is my current build:
> Main:
> Fire Blast
> Fire Ball
> Rain of Fire
> Fire Breath
> Aim
>
> Secondary:
> Ring of Fire
> Combustion
>
> Flight:
> Hover
> Fly

That's a good Fire/Fire build, except for Combustion, which
stinks, because the later Fire Sword Circle is extremely similar
and much more powerful.

If you respec, take Stealth instead of Combustion. Stealth will
give you the time to line up your area attacks just right, and
boosts your defense from nothing to 7.5%. When you run it with
Hover, it's a total of 12.5%. In tought fights, those two powers
and one Luck inspirations puts you at Scrapper level defense for
a short time.

> If I think I can snipe one guy out a group I open with Fire
> Blast and fall back to kill him. If I don't think I can do
> that I open with Fire Ball, then Fire Ring the highest level
> baddie and drop Rain of Fire on his head.

> Then I start working through the others with whatever is
> available, keeping the boss or lt. locked down with ring of
> fire.
>
> For fairly small groups or low level groups this works really
> well. For higher level groups I usually get half way through
> and am either dead or have to run.
>
> I really wish I'd skipped Combustion, I never use it.

Natch. ;)

> Fire Breath isn't really useful either since I have to be WAY
> closer than I like. I know they're all slotted up pretty badly
> since I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I've got my free
> respec waiting so I'm not TOO worried.

Fire Breath is actually your best area attack, more powerful than
Fire Ball. You should practice with it. Here's a few tips for
these cone attacks.

Here's the group of villains, who haven't seen you yet.

A B

For the best cone attack, your target must be the farthest away
from you of all your victims. With the grouping above, that means
the best angle is to stand south-east of D, and target B.
Activate your Fire Breath, and then walk closer and closer to D
until it goes off. If you target D from the same angle, you'll
hit only D. Cones only go as far as your target.

Follow up with Fireball, and every minion should be a crispy
critter.

Next, either Ring of Fire a survivor, and back off, or activate
Hover and hold down the spacebar for 2 or 3 seconds to fly out of
melee range, if possible. Most villains have pathetic ranged
attacks.

Flares is very fast attack, and does excellent damage *only* if
you chain it aggressively. I recommend putting it on auto-attack
after you've finished off as much as you can with your area
attacks.

> I may try an "easier" character for a bit to get a better feel
> for things and then go back to my blaster. She's just fun and
> I love RPing her but maybe she's not the best choice just
> starting out. ;)
>
> (Any spec suggestions for changes to the above would be great.)

Really not much to change. You just need the added defense and
tactical advantage of Stealth.

> Oh, double checked, my difficulty is still set to
> "Hard-Boiled", no idea why I'm seeing Oranges and Reds in my
> missions since it sounds like they should be even?

Oranges and reds are not out of the question, they should just be
rare; +1 lieutenants and +1 bosses. With the new changes, there
won't ever be bosses. Even named bosses like Marrowsnap have been
converted to Lieuts for Hardboiled.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

In article <36eq2lF4v1r6dU4@individual.net>, Neil Cerutti wrote:
> In article <1107388572.802573.131760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, Tandaina wrote:
> Here's the group of villains, who haven't seen you yet.
>
> A B

> For the best cone attack, your target must be the farthest away
> from you of all your victims. With the grouping above, that means
> the best angle is to stand south-east

Gah! I meant south-west. Down and to the left of D.

> A B

Right there at the X.

--
Neil Cerutti
When my brain exploded, it was the best thing that ever happened

On 3 Feb 2005 14:16:53 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:

> Cones only go as far as your target.

That's not been my experience; as far as I've ever seen, they go as
far as their maximum range, no matter where the person you target is
in them. (It's certainly been the case when fighting those annoying
Malta with their cone attack shotguns...I stand behind the Tanker
they're aggro'd on, I still get biffed.)

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:27:52 PM

Thanks so much for the info. This is the sort of stuff its just so
hard to pick up on your own. :)

I'll try some of the new startegies metioned here and see how things
go!

Jade Pheonix
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:01:28 PM

Ok made a scrapper on Victory, even thought up a story so I'm gtg. Her
name is Wolf Moon, I'd love to get a chance to group with some of you
folks in game. :)

Jade Pheonix
Wolf Moon
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:40:15 PM

In article <slrnd04f5g.hbt.robotech@terrania.homelinux.org>, Robotech_Master wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2005 14:16:53 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
>
>> Cones only go as far as your target.
>
> That's not been my experience; as far as I've ever seen, they
> go as far as their maximum range, no matter where the person
> you target is in them. (It's certainly been the case when
> fighting those annoying Malta with their cone attack
> shotguns...I stand behind the Tanker they're aggro'd on, I
> still get biffed.)

You're correct, I mispoke. The reason to target at the far end of
a cone is that it makes aiming your cone easier and more
accurate.

--
Neil Cerutti
When my brain exploded, it was the best thing that ever happened
to me. I have such a better life now. --Sharon Stone
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:11:43 AM

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ok made a scrapper on Victory, even thought up a story so I'm gtg. Her
> name is Wolf Moon, I'd love to get a chance to group with some of you
> folks in game. :)

Look up my primary alt evenings, 6-11 pm PST. I tend to be on a couple of
times an evening. Add my two main alts (the first two below) to your
Friends list, and you'll see when I come on.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:10:08 AM

On 3 Feb 2005 16:01:28 -0800, Tandaina <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok made a scrapper on Victory, even thought up a story so I'm gtg. Her
> name is Wolf Moon, I'd love to get a chance to group with some of you
> folks in game. :)

Cool! My major characters on Victory ATM:

L50 Purramedic (Emp/Elec Defender)
L40 Hera Panthera (Dark/Dark Defender)
L15 Purr Energy (Nova-specialist Peacebringer)
L09 Median Cat (Warshade)
L09 Night's Tigress (Dark/Dark Scrapper)

There's a couple others, too, but I don't play them as much and can
barely remember what level they are.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:41:48 AM

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
> Cool! My major characters on Victory ATM:
>
> L50 Purramedic (Emp/Elec Defender)
> L40 Hera Panthera (Dark/Dark Defender)
> L15 Purr Energy (Nova-specialist Peacebringer)
> L09 Median Cat (Warshade)
> L09 Night's Tigress (Dark/Dark Scrapper)

Wait, there's a pattern here... hmm, I'll get it, don't tell me...

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:46:02 AM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 02:41:48 -0000, Shenanigunner
<nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:

> Wait, there's a pattern here... hmm, I'll get it, don't tell me...

Oh, darn...you noticed that I listed my highest-level characters first
and my lowest-level characters last!

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:07:14 AM

Well just getting Wolf Moon to 5 I can see the difference. With Jade
Pheonix I have to be full health/power going into a fight. I won't
tough a red minion and she runs out of power way too fast.

Wolf moon wades in to 2 orange minions at half health with zero
worries. I took out a RED boss and I never run out of power. Amazing.
Definately a huge difference, I even cranked up the mission difficulty
one setting and still didn't really have trouble with it. (Had to do
some creative pulling and splitting to get two lt. away from the boss
at the end cause I couldn't take all three at once but I did it. :)

Wolf Moon is Dark/Regen and I'm going with teleport as her travel
power. What other power pools should I take? Still get Stamina I
assume?

Oh and where can I find instructions on making a follow macro/bind (not
sure what the terminology is in this game) all this running around
after chicken criminals is annoying. :p
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:43:57 PM

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1107518834.769233.213500
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Wolf Moon is Dark/Regen and I'm going with teleport as her travel
> power. What other power pools should I take? Still get Stamina I
> assume?

To run a really effective regen scrapper, you need quick recovery AND
stamina. You should also seriously consider tough and weave from the
fighting pool.

My lvl 20 dark/regen soloed Dr. Vaz last night. Didn't die, but had to
leave the mission 4 times to fill up my tray with endurance inspirations
(he had 5080 hp so it took a while to beat him down).

I have quick recovery 3 slotted right now and I am working on getting
stamina.

--
The Soliphist asks...
What assertion do you make to validate your existence?
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 4:31:12 PM

In article <Xns95F2A4C128BBEnitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
Shenanigunner wrote:
> "Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Ok made a scrapper on Victory, even thought up a story so I'm
>> gtg. Her name is Wolf Moon, I'd love to get a chance to group
>> with some of you folks in game. :)
>
> Look up my primary alt evenings, 6-11 pm PST. I tend to be on a
> couple of times an evening. Add my two main alts (the first two
> below) to your Friends list, and you'll see when I come on.

I can't believe you have The Nonpareil! I tried to make a
character with that name and was told I couldn't 'cause it was a
title. At least, I think that's what happened. Good on you!

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

In article
<1107518834.769233.213500@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, Tandaina
wrote:
> Well just getting Wolf Moon to 5 I can see the difference.
> With Jade Pheonix I have to be full health/power going into a
> fight. I won't tough a red minion and she runs out of power
> way too fast.
>
> Wolf moon wades in to 2 orange minions at half health with zero
> worries. I took out a RED boss and I never run out of power.
> Amazing. Definately a huge difference, I even cranked up the
> mission difficulty one setting and still didn't really have
> trouble with it. (Had to do some creative pulling and splitting
> to get two lt. away from the boss at the end cause I couldn't
> take all three at once but I did it. :)
>
> Wolf Moon is Dark/Regen and I'm going with teleport as her
> travel power.

Regen is great, mostly because you haven't any holes in your
defenses. My Dark/Invuln is level 17, and against certain enemies
he's basically one step up from a squishy. Someday, he'll be
strong against almost everything. ;)

As a Dark Melee, beware of enemies with resistance to negative
energy.

> What other power pools should I take? Still get Stamina I
> assume?

With Dark Consumption at level 18, Dark Melee has an opportunity
to be one of the few that can skip Stamina. But if you get
Stamina anyway you'll never regret it.

> Oh and where can I find instructions on making a follow
> macro/bind (not sure what the terminology is in this game) all
> this running around after chicken criminals is annoying. :p

One trick that helps me: when you get near the end of a fight,
and you sense stuff is about to start running, zoom out the
camera a little bit so you can get a jump on them.

--
Neil Cerutti
We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
> I can't believe you have The Nonpareil! I tried to make a
> character with that name and was told I couldn't 'cause it was a
> title. At least, I think that's what happened. Good on you!

You know the source?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:16:15 PM

In article <Xns95F35EDCFE6A3nitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>, Shenanigunner wrote:
> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
>> I can't believe you have The Nonpareil! I tried to make a
>> character with that name and was told I couldn't 'cause it was
>> a title. At least, I think that's what happened. Good on you!
>
> You know the source?

I learned of it in the title of a Joplin rag.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
>> You know the source?

> I learned of it in the title of a Joplin rag.

Ah. Not my source. :)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 2 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:38:09 AM

On 4 Feb 2005 04:07:14 -0800, "Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Wolf Moon is Dark/Regen and I'm going with teleport as her travel
>power. What other power pools should I take? Still get Stamina I
>assume?

Yes, Regen really needs Stamina if you plan on using Instant Heal - that
power really uses your endurance fast. Teleport also uses endurance
quickly. I can't advise you on dark melee, as I haven't tried it myself
yet.

>Oh and where can I find instructions on making a follow macro/bind (not
>sure what the terminology is in this game) all this running around
>after chicken criminals is annoying. :p

Both macros and binds are available; they do slightly different things.
For this purpose, you'll want a bind, as that's what gives you response
from a single keypress, while macros require you to click a button in
your tray to work. The bind I use for this purpose is

/bind z "target_enemy_near$$follow"

Of course, you can replace z with whatever key you prefer.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:38:10 AM

Greg Johnson wrote:

> Yes, Regen really needs Stamina if you plan on using Instant Heal - that
> power really uses your endurance fast.

Indeed. My next 4 levels:
26 - Stamina
27 - 2 slots to Stamina
28 - Instant Healing
29 - 2 slots to End rdx Instant Healing

And that will balance out my end costs to as I am currently at 25 without
IH.

--
| Victory Server: |
| Bex - Level 33 Blaster (Assault Rifle/Devices) |

Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
> /bind z "target_enemy_near$$follow"

The most valuable bind for tanks and scrappers. Has eased melee control for
me immeasurably.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
-= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 8:14:18 AM

"Tandaina" <tandaina@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Well just getting Wolf Moon to 5 I can see the difference. With Jade
>Pheonix I have to be full health/power going into a fight. I won't
>tough a red minion and she runs out of power way too fast.
>
>Wolf moon wades in to 2 orange minions at half health with zero
>worries. I took out a RED boss and I never run out of power. Amazing.
> Definately a huge difference, I even cranked up the mission difficulty
>one setting and still didn't really have trouble with it. (Had to do
>some creative pulling and splitting to get two lt. away from the boss
>at the end cause I couldn't take all three at once but I did it. :)
>
>Wolf Moon is Dark/Regen and I'm going with teleport as her travel
>power. What other power pools should I take? Still get Stamina I
>assume?

Oh yes, in spite of the wonderful endurance regen from Quick Recovery,
you will still NEED stamina, since INtegration and Instant Healing (the
signature powers of the set) have steep costs.

>Oh and where can I find instructions on making a follow macro/bind (not
>sure what the terminology is in this game) all this running around
>after chicken criminals is annoying. :p

Personally I use /bind e "target_enemy_near$$follow"

Oh and since I want to target people at times (to read bios)
/bind q "target_friend_next"

Other handy ones
/bind_save_file c:\whateveryouwant.txt
and
/bind_load_file c:\whateveryouwant.txt
if you want specific binds for different characters (and/or a generic
set for all so you don't have to type in common ones again every time
you make a new character.)

I personally move the autorun from r and stick it on \ and use r as my
run toggle for sprint or superspeed
/bind r "powexec_name Sprint"
and I use t for flight or jumping or whatever
[jumping on current character]
/bind t "powexec_name Combat Jumping$$powexec_name Super Jump"
[this will toggle between the two jumps.]

Xocyll
February 5, 2005 6:08:29 PM

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 05:14:18 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> I personally move the autorun from r and stick it on \ and use r as my
> run toggle for sprint or superspeed

I'd personally recommend Gnarly's Speed on Demand...takes all the
gruntwork out of toggling.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 6:08:30 PM

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 05:14:18 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>
>> I personally move the autorun from r and stick it on \ and use r as my
>> run toggle for sprint or superspeed
>
>I'd personally recommend Gnarly's Speed on Demand...takes all the
>gruntwork out of toggling.

It's also totally useless in conjunction with target_enemy_near$$follow,
which is THE melee bind.

Sometimes you want the speed on, sometimes you don't or can't afford the
endurance (it happens sometimes IE using SS in combat)- a set of binds
CAN'T make those decisions for you.

Xocyll
February 7, 2005 9:31:21 PM

In article <3is9015mgv6h7b8k73sh4cf545u1bnnlq6@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
> Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 05:14:18 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>> I personally move the autorun from r and stick it on \ and use r as my
>>> run toggle for sprint or superspeed
>>
>>I'd personally recommend Gnarly's Speed on Demand...takes all the
>>gruntwork out of toggling.
>
> It's also totally useless in conjunction with target_enemy_near$$follow,
> which is THE melee bind.
>
> Sometimes you want the speed on, sometimes you don't or can't afford the
> endurance (it happens sometimes IE using SS in combat)- a set of binds
> CAN'T make those decisions for you.

Also, there's the stealth aspect of superspeed. Losing stealth in an
inopportune location can be unfortunate.

Speed On Demand for Flight = Good.
Speed On Demand for Superspeed = What Are You, Stupid Or Something?

--
--- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
"Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

sw <sw@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>In article <3is9015mgv6h7b8k73sh4cf545u1bnnlq6@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
>> Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
>> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>>
>>>I'd personally recommend Gnarly's Speed on Demand...takes all the
>>>gruntwork out of toggling.
>>
>> It's also totally useless in conjunction with target_enemy_near$$follow,
>> which is THE melee bind.
>>
>> Sometimes you want the speed on, sometimes you don't or can't afford the
>> endurance (it happens sometimes IE using SS in combat)- a set of binds
>> CAN'T make those decisions for you.
>
>Also, there's the stealth aspect of superspeed. Losing stealth in an
>inopportune location can be unfortunate.
>
>Speed On Demand for Flight = Good.
>Speed On Demand for Superspeed = What Are You, Stupid Or Something?

Even that really depends on the AT, the build and the player.

I could see speed on demand being pretty useful for a blaster, and I
could see not wanting SS on all the time in pre-stamina or no-stamina
builds or even those that don't slot an end reducer in SS but a speed.

Fly on demand; I did my own in a rather different way, now that I3
brought the powexec_toggle_on/off commands.
I set all my direction keys to toggle on flight, and set all my attack
keys to key hover, then attack.
Upside: you literally can't shoot while in Fly mode with the acc
penalty.
Downside: the first press of a combat key only switches to hover, it
won't actually fire as well, so you have to press twice. One you're in
hover though they will all fire on one press.

I set up 2 files, one for auto-fly and hover, and one for normal running
about that are swapped between by "t" which is MY default fly/SJ toggle
key.

I had originally done this for the peacebringer, especially for fast
escapes, since if he got hit by a q-gun, there just wouldn't be enough
time to shapeshift and/or run normally, so instant auto-on flight gave
that extra bit of speed to get out of range.

But it should work equally well for blaster/defender/controller types
that want to attack while airborne and don't want to fiddle about with
switching between fly/hover manually while trying to attack/escape.

Xocyll