Blank screen on post with new system

FantasticMrFox

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
So I just finished building my new system and Im getting a blank screen on post, no bios. The parts are as follows:

Motherboard: ECS Elitegroup P965T-A (no onboard video)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Memory: DDR2 400mhz
PSU: Thermaltake 600w
Graphics: PCI-E x800 xt

Looking through the mobo manual is says it only supports DDR2 533/667/800. I think this may be the problem and its not too big of a deal as I was planning on upgrading very very soon anyway as its an obvious bottleneck. However are there any other reasons this may be happening? I would hate to find that the graphics card was fried. Also unfortunatly I dont have access to another PC to check the card or memory.

Thanks in advance.

FantasticMrFox

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Ive just noticed (damn my sleep deprived state) that there are a few other posts asking similar questions. If someone could just confirm that putting the ram I listed into that motherboard will prevent POST that would be excellent.

FantasticMrFox

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Ok got the ram, plugged it in, no joy. I get 3-4 beeps when power is supplied to the system but I cant find out what that means anywhere.

FantasticMrFox

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
DDR2-400?!?! Seriously?

Yeah, Dell, go figure.

C2D needs minimum 533 AFAIK. That's your problem right there I would imagine.

I sould have been more specific. I ordered new Corsair xms2 DDR2800 (2x1024mb) amd Im getting the same problem. Im thinking it might be the graphics card. It was getting a bit wonky. Though if someone could tell me what the beeps mean it would help.

Oh and I tried the ram modules seperatly and together.

FantasticMrFox

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
1 then 2-3 very fast (fast enough that Im not sure if its a total of 3 or 4 beeps)

I really really hope Im making a stupid basic mistake because the alternatives are terrible.

Seems like it is the video card. Bios central lists the award bios beep codes as:

1long, 2 short Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

1long, 3short No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.

What Im getting could be either of those but both point to a bad video card. I have reseated it many times so I think its faulty. Ill see if I can pick up a cheap card to test with.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
BIOS Beep Sound core list

AWARD BIOS

1 short (Beep) System booting is normally.
2 short (Beep) CMOS setting error
1 long - 1 short (Beep) DRAM ERROR
1 long - 2 short (Beep) Display card or monitor connected error
1 long - 3 short (Beep) Keyboard Error
1 long - 9 short (Beep) ROM Error
Long continuous beeps - DRAM hasn't inset correctly.
Short continuous beeps - POWER supply has problem.

By your description, sounds like the vid card/display.

FantasticMrFox

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Reseated the card (again just to be sure) didn't help. Bought a new mid range card put it in, works fine. I'm posting this from my new system now :)

Thanks for the help everyone :)