Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wierd behaviourof "MORE" after the registry cleaning

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 2:25:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi There,

I just did some registry cleaning on my windows 2k3 Enterprise Server with
the "Tune-Up Utilities 2004". The Tune-Up did find lots of broken registries
and now my server is running more responsive. However, I do notice some
weird thing regarding the "more" piping utility. Usualy, if I executed "more
filename.txt" on a CMD console, I should be able to see/read the contents of
the filename.txt. After this Tune-Up, executing more filename.txt" on a CMD
console returns an error message "Too many arguments in command line.";
however, "type filename.txt | more" works just fine. I would appreciate if
anyone out here can help me out to fix this problem.

Thanks.

--
Mazi
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 2:25:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Restore the registry from the backup you made, start a clean install, or
possible these may help.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1...

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mazi" wrote:
| Hi There,
|
| I just did some registry cleaning on my windows 2k3 Enterprise Server with
| the "Tune-Up Utilities 2004". The Tune-Up did find lots of broken
registries
| and now my server is running more responsive. However, I do notice some
| weird thing regarding the "more" piping utility. Usualy, if I executed
"more
| filename.txt" on a CMD console, I should be able to see/read the contents
of
| the filename.txt. After this Tune-Up, executing more filename.txt" on a
CMD
| console returns an error message "Too many arguments in command line.";
| however, "type filename.txt | more" works just fine. I would appreciate if
| anyone out here can help me out to fix this problem.
|
| Thanks.
|
| --
| Mazi
|
|
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 1:48:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

"Mazi" <!spamMe@NoSpammer.Null> wrote in message
news:97Fod.556700$mD.89378@attbi_s02...
> Hi There,
>
> I just did some registry cleaning on my windows 2k3 Enterprise Server with
> the "Tune-Up Utilities 2004". The Tune-Up did find lots of broken
registries
> and now my server is running more responsive. However, I do notice some
> weird thing regarding the "more" piping utility. Usualy, if I executed
"more
> filename.txt" on a CMD console, I should be able to see/read the contents
of
> the filename.txt. After this Tune-Up, executing more filename.txt" on a
CMD
> console returns an error message "Too many arguments in command line.";
> however, "type filename.txt | more" works just fine. I would appreciate if
> anyone out here can help me out to fix this problem.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Mazi

Allowing a tool to poke around in the registry is equivalent
to sticking needles into someone's brain to see what happens.
Scary stuff! And when you say that your server is "more
responsive", is this based on a tightly controlled measurement
or is it more a case of wishful thinking?

The fact is that the registry contains thousands of entries. My
server has 330,000 lines. Only the creator of these entries
knows exactly what each of them does. It's a bit like your DNA:
We know what's where but we don't have the faintest idea which
molecules are responsible for your surprising optimism.

Good luck!
!