Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE with new IDE RAID controller

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Boot
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 8:39:33 PM

Nice little problem for somebody clever :-)

I've Ghost imaged an existing Windows 2000 Pro PC which used a standard 50GB
IDE/ATA hard disk.

The hard disks have been replaced with two 250GB IDE/ATA hard disks
connected to a PCI IDE RAID controller in a single RAID-0 disk and restored
the original disk from the Ghost image - keeping the size the same so that
the majority of the new RAID array is unused (was going to create a large
data drive).

However, when Windows 2000 tries to boot, it gets a
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I can guess why this is - part way through the
start-up process, it'll need to pass control to the IDE RAID controller
driver (which is needed for this size of disk). But this driver isn't
installed. So *bang*

Now, an easy route would be to:

o Put the old drive back in the system
o Boot-up into Windows
o Install the new driver (which would then recognise the new RAID array)
o Reboot to DOS and Ghost old drive to new drive (probably keeping to say a
20GB boot partition)
o Whip the old drive out and let it boot off the new disk with the driver
installed

I reckon that should work.

But I'm not for an easy life. I've heard rumours of this Windows 2000
recovery mode so the question is, can you use this method to install a new
driver into an existing Windows set-up? I've got a copy of the driver on
floppy, boot-up off a Windows 2000 install CD and said repair. But then I
reach the limit of my knowledge :-)

Thanks, Rob.

More about : inaccessible boot device ide raid controller

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 8:39:34 PM

These may help.

How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Rob Nicholson" wrote:
| Nice little problem for somebody clever :-)
|
| I've Ghost imaged an existing Windows 2000 Pro PC which used a standard
50GB
| IDE/ATA hard disk.
|
| The hard disks have been replaced with two 250GB IDE/ATA hard disks
| connected to a PCI IDE RAID controller in a single RAID-0 disk and
restored
| the original disk from the Ghost image - keeping the size the same so that
| the majority of the new RAID array is unused (was going to create a large
| data drive).
|
| However, when Windows 2000 tries to boot, it gets a
| INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I can guess why this is - part way through the
| start-up process, it'll need to pass control to the IDE RAID controller
| driver (which is needed for this size of disk). But this driver isn't
| installed. So *bang*
|
| Now, an easy route would be to:
|
| o Put the old drive back in the system
| o Boot-up into Windows
| o Install the new driver (which would then recognise the new RAID array)
| o Reboot to DOS and Ghost old drive to new drive (probably keeping to say
| 20GB boot partition)
| o Whip the old drive out and let it boot off the new disk with the driver
| installed
|
| I reckon that should work.
|
| But I'm not for an easy life. I've heard rumours of this Windows 2000
| recovery mode so the question is, can you use this method to install a new
| driver into an existing Windows set-up? I've got a copy of the driver on
| floppy, boot-up off a Windows 2000 install CD and said repair. But then I
| reach the limit of my knowledge :-)
|
| Thanks, Rob.

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 8:39:34 PM

Do yourself a big favor and install the old drive back on the machine
and install the Mass Storage Device drivers. Then do the change over.
You may have other problems to deal with because of Ghost so may as well
leave the device drivers out of the picture. If you read the
documentation that came with the new controller it usually says in big
bold letter right at the start that you have to install the W2k drivers
BEFORE you do the switcheroo. The other way that I can think of putting
them in is to do an in place upgrade or do surgery when the installation
is sleeping (with a parallel install) and I don't think that you want to
do either of those!

John

Rob Nicholson wrote:

> Nice little problem for somebody clever :-)
>
> I've Ghost imaged an existing Windows 2000 Pro PC which used a standard 50GB
> IDE/ATA hard disk.
>
> The hard disks have been replaced with two 250GB IDE/ATA hard disks
> connected to a PCI IDE RAID controller in a single RAID-0 disk and restored
> the original disk from the Ghost image - keeping the size the same so that
> the majority of the new RAID array is unused (was going to create a large
> data drive).
>
> However, when Windows 2000 tries to boot, it gets a
> INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I can guess why this is - part way through the
> start-up process, it'll need to pass control to the IDE RAID controller
> driver (which is needed for this size of disk). But this driver isn't
> installed. So *bang*
>
> Now, an easy route would be to:
>
> o Put the old drive back in the system
> o Boot-up into Windows
> o Install the new driver (which would then recognise the new RAID array)
> o Reboot to DOS and Ghost old drive to new drive (probably keeping to say a
> 20GB boot partition)
> o Whip the old drive out and let it boot off the new disk with the driver
> installed
>
> I reckon that should work.
>
> But I'm not for an easy life. I've heard rumours of this Windows 2000
> recovery mode so the question is, can you use this method to install a new
> driver into an existing Windows set-up? I've got a copy of the driver on
> floppy, boot-up off a Windows 2000 install CD and said repair. But then I
> reach the limit of my knowledge :-)
>
> Thanks, Rob.

November 23, 2004 11:39:48 PM

In article <#xfTGaY0EHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca says...
> Do yourself a big favor and install the old drive back on the machine
> and install the Mass Storage Device drivers. Then do the change over.

I second the above - this is the only way to make life simple, easy, and
get done in time for the holiday.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 7:57:16 PM

> Do yourself a big favor and install the old drive back on the machine

But I like a challenge :-)

> documentation that came with the new controller it usually says in big
> bold letter right at the start that you have to install the W2k drivers
> BEFORE you do the switcheroo. The other way that I can think of putting

Another option is to install Windows 2000 Pro from scratch (there's nowt
much on this PC except VMware virtual machines) and press F6 to load the
driver during load. Which is why I though this repair mode might help.

Cheers, Rob.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 7:57:41 PM

> I second the above - this is the only way to make life simple, easy, and
> get done in time for the holiday.

You're all weaklings <grin>

Cheers, Rob.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 7:57:42 PM

Rob Nicholson wrote:

> You're all weaklings <grin>

We're not weaklings, we just take the path of least resistance.

John
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 2:43:09 PM

>>documentation that came with the new controller it usually says in big
>>bold letter right at the start that you have to install the W2k drivers
>>BEFORE you do the switcheroo. The other way that I can think of putting
>

> Another option is to install Windows 2000 Pro from scratch (there's nowt
> much on this PC except VMware virtual machines) and press F6 to load the
> driver during load. Which is why I though this repair mode might help.

Hi there, yes, setup from CD with F6 + load new driver + normal repair
(not quick repair) fixes the problem and installs the new driver into
existing Windows 2000 system, but how about following scenario:

- you can't run repair, because it modifies 1st startup procedure
prepared so carefully by my favorite backup (i.e. Retrospect Backup when
it restores domain controller creates some events which are executed
once on system startup in DirectoryRestore mode to reactivate specific
components)

What possible options are in this case ? Is there a way to install the
new controller driver from recovery console ?

Regards,
Evaldas
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:26:44 PM

> Hi there, yes, setup from CD with F6 + load new driver + normal repair
> (not quick repair) fixes the problem and installs the new driver into
> existing Windows 2000 system, but how about following scenario:

Cool - will try that next time.

Cheers, Rob.