MSCONFIG.exe in Windows 2000 Professional

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 23, 2004 12:39:08 PM

Does anyone know how to access programs that start running at bootup in
Windows 2000 Pro? I know in W-98 & XP you can run msconfig.exe to
disable/enable programs at start-up. I'm looking to disable some programs
from starting up during bootup. Thanks
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 1:47:51 PM

Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
registry's "Run" keys. (note that this windows is read-only so you must
manually navigate to the location below to edit or otherwise delete)

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Big Guy" wrote:
| Does anyone know how to access programs that start running at bootup in
| Windows 2000 Pro? I know in W-98 & XP you can run msconfig.exe to
| disable/enable programs at start-up. I'm looking to disable some programs
| from starting up during bootup. Thanks
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 10:04:02 PM

Big Guy wrote:
> Does anyone know how to access programs that start running at bootup in
> Windows 2000 Pro? I know in W-98 & XP you can run msconfig.exe to
> disable/enable programs at start-up. I'm looking to disable some programs
> from starting up during bootup. Thanks

MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
when Windows starts."

To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
happen as a result of each and every change.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Related resources
November 24, 2004 1:43:46 AM

Just for the record if you copy the msconfig.exe to a windows 2000 from an
XP computer it WILL work!
Mike D
> Big Guy wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to access programs that start running at bootup in
>> Windows 2000 Pro? I know in W-98 & XP you can run msconfig.exe to
>> disable/enable programs at start-up. I'm looking to disable some
>> programs from starting up during bootup. Thanks
>
> MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
> is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
> utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.
>
> In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
> deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
> when Windows starts."
>
> To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
> folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
> also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
> Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
> Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
> any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
> from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
> out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
> have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
> also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
> unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
> happen as a result of each and every change.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 9:05:49 PM

Even better is a free utility called "Autoruns" from Sysinternals - this
does more than what msconfig does. You can download it from here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.sht...

While you're there make sure you also download Process Explorer v8.52,
Filemon v6.12, Regmon v6.12, and PsTools v2.1. These are all *essential*
(and free) utilities that you should always carry on you!

Cheers - Stuart.

on 24/11/2004 5:43 p.m. MikeD said the following:
> Just for the record if you copy the msconfig.exe to a windows 2000 from an
> XP computer it WILL work!
> Mike D
> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Big Guy wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know how to access programs that start running at bootup in
>>>Windows 2000 Pro? I know in W-98 & XP you can run msconfig.exe to
>>>disable/enable programs at start-up. I'm looking to disable some
>>>programs from starting up during bootup. Thanks
>>
>> MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
>>is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
>>utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.
>>
>> In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
>>deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
>>when Windows starts."
>>
>> To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
>>C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
>>C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
>>folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
>>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
>>HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
>>also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
>>Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
>>Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
>>any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
>>from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
>>out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
>>have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
>>also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
>>unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
>>happen as a result of each and every change.
>>

>>--
>>
>>Bruce Chambers
>>
>>Help us help you:
>>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>
>>You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>>both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 9:49:25 PM

MikeD wrote:
> Just for the record if you copy the msconfig.exe to a windows 2000 from an
> XP computer it WILL work!
> Mike D

Sure, as long as you don't mind orphaned entried in the registry, that
is. But why bother, when manually cleaning up start-up programs is
simplicity, itself?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: