MSCONFIG.exe in Windows 2000 Professional

Does anyone know how to access programs that start running at bootup in
Windows 2000 Pro? I know in W-98 & XP you can run msconfig.exe to
disable/enable programs at start-up. I'm looking to disable some programs
from starting up during bootup. Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about msconfig windows 2000 professional

    Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
    Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
    Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
    to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
    registry's "Run" keys. (note that this windows is read-only so you must
    manually navigate to the location below to edit or otherwise delete)

    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

    or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Big Guy wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to access programs that start running at bootup in
    > Windows 2000 Pro? I know in W-98 & XP you can run msconfig.exe to
    > disable/enable programs at start-up. I'm looking to disable some programs
    > from starting up during bootup. Thanks

    MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
    is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
    utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

    In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
    deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
    when Windows starts."

    To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
    folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
    also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
    Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
    Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
    any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
    from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
    out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
    have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
    also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
    unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
    happen as a result of each and every change.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Just for the record if you copy the msconfig.exe to a windows 2000 from an
    XP computer it WILL work!
    Mike D
    > Big Guy wrote:
    >> Does anyone know how to access programs that start running at bootup in
    >> Windows 2000 Pro? I know in W-98 & XP you can run msconfig.exe to
    >> disable/enable programs at start-up. I'm looking to disable some
    >> programs from starting up during bootup. Thanks
    >
    > MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
    > is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
    > utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.
    >
    > In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
    > deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
    > when Windows starts."
    >
    > To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
    > C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
    > folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    > HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
    > also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
    > Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
    > Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
    > any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
    > from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
    > out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
    > have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
    > also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
    > unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
    > happen as a result of each and every change.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Even better is a free utility called "Autoruns" from Sysinternals - this
    does more than what msconfig does. You can download it from here:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

    While you're there make sure you also download Process Explorer v8.52,
    Filemon v6.12, Regmon v6.12, and PsTools v2.1. These are all *essential*
    (and free) utilities that you should always carry on you!

    Cheers - Stuart.

    MikeD wrote:
    > Just for the record if you copy the msconfig.exe to a windows 2000 from an
    > XP computer it WILL work!
    > Mike D

    Sure, as long as you don't mind orphaned entried in the registry, that
    is. But why bother, when manually cleaning up start-up programs is
    simplicity, itself?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: