Asus mobo not even gettin to the bios!!!

thomas33665588

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
hi

i just bought a new Opteron 146 socket 939 chip, i put it on my Asus A8N-SLI-Deluxe mobo, switched it on and the fan spins for bout 1 second and cuts out. the light on the board is on so thers definetly getting power, i've tried different chip, ram, cpu fan, gfx card, unplugging everything, resetting the cmos. sumfin is shorting it sumwer i think, so i took it out of my case and put it on a static bag, just had the ram, chip and fan on it, still the same problem!!

plz help me!!!

an p.s i got the opteron runnin on my dfi lanparty RDX200 mobo and the highest i can clock it to is 2.1GHz if i try goin higher than that it blue screens on me!!! am using sistool, etc, surely it can go faster than that, its an opteron on a lanparty mobo!!!

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Firstly, antistatic bags are CONDUCTIVE! Do not run a motherboard on one.

Secondly, you do not say whether your motherboard was working previously with a different chip. If it was then it is likely either you have a duff chip or your board needs a BIOS update to accommodate the new chip.

If both board and chip were new then look to PSU having a fault or motherboard or RAM as well as the other two above.

Q

Jd

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
I faced exactly the same problem with ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo. I tried just about everything from unplugging and replugging step by step, checking different components etc, to no avail. Yet when I replaced my old PSU and CPU heat sink, it seems to have been miraculously cured. Don't really know what was the problem but you better check if your CPU is overheating or not (this was suggested to me in the same forumz)

thomas33665588

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
the mobo was fine b4 wen i had a 3700+, i have the latest bois installed, my PSU is fine coz i've used it on various other machines and my opteron works fine on my lanparty board, ram is fine aswel coz ive got it runnin on my other machine perfect

chrispyski

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I know this doesn't help much, but my advice to you, get rid of that motherboard as fast as you can...I could get into the details of why I loath that board, but it's getting late.

Believe me, the faster you get rid of that thing, the better off you'll be in the long run.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
an how the hell can ANTI-stactic bags be conductive?!?!?!?! that just completely defeats the object!!!!

Your comment shows that you have a mis-conception about what static is and how it is prevented.

Ordinary plastic bags are INSULATORS that generate STATIC when rubbed. The conductive nature of an antistatic bag prevents the buildup of static in the first place. They are not intended to insulate an electrical item from the outside world as that would lead to a static transfer upon opening the bag and getting the item out.

Q