My Rig & my new overheating rig!!!! Need Help PLZ

kornchild

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hey guys whats up? Haven't had a chance to post here much but I figured I would get your guys input and comments on a few things.

I built my new pc about a year ago and its been great so far let me know what you think!

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4400+ (Socket 939)
Corsair XMS PC3200 1024 x2 (in CPU-Z it says: PC3200 (200MHz) shouldn't it be 400?)
PCI-E Geforce 7800GT
2x Western Digital 250GB HD 16MB Cache in Raid 1

IMG_00021.jpg

IMG_00041.jpg

IMG_00061.jpg

How do my temperatures look after being at 100% for about 10min? Also why does it show that 2 of the sensors are at 127º? Also how bad is it that the Core spikes to 50º after being at 100% for a bit?

AMD4400at100.jpg

Here is where I REALLY need help!

While on the subject I built my mom a Pentium D 915 w/ stock HSF & Arctic Silver 5. 1GB Corsair XMS DDR2 800 on a Gigabyte motherboard (budget build). Unless I am completely missing something the damn thing runs HOT!

IDLE: Nothing Running
idle.jpg

FULL LOAD: After everything running for 45-60 seconds!
fullload.jpg

WTF DO I DO! Its brand new and I have to ship it 16 hours away to my mom so this thing has to last!

I would get this Thermaltake CL-P0370 for the PentiumD would be a major improvement at a relatively low price for an 8-heatpipe cooler. This MASSCOOL 8WA741 is slightly cheaper, 6 heatpipes - not as good as the TT IMO (but good for the $)

Similiarly the X2 will benefit from an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro it is slightly cheaper, 6 heatpipes, just as good & should help for at least 5 or more degrees off the temps.

Also the DDR on the AMD reports 200 since that is the FSB, double pumped @ 400Mhz

akhilles

Splendid
Your AMD cpu temp is about the same as my overclocked C2D core temp. 46'c idle & 51'c load. Intel specs list max 61'c.

Your mom's P-D is pretty hot at full load. Could you take a photo of it? What are the case & case fans? Is it overclocked? A quick fix is to disable Q-Fan for ASUS or any cpu fan speed control in bios. The fan will run at full speed & is loud, but it'll cool the temp down.

kornchild

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. The Pentium D is on a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 Mobo. I have 1 80mm intake fan on the front, 1 80mm intake fan on the side, 1 120mm exhaust fan in the back, 1 120mm psu fan inside the case. Its stock heatsink and fan w/ AS5 and NO overclocking!

Sooo frustrated. Another forum told me to try AGAIN for the 4th time to remove the AS5 and put a rice sized drop in the center of the professor and reseat it AGAIN. I'm starting to wonder if the motherboard is giving me incorrect readings......

akhilles

Splendid
Looks good.

Update the bios to the latest. Ditch speedfan. Google & install:

Thermal Analysis Tool
http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Speedfan isn't the most accurate. TAT & CoreTemp are more accurate. Note they read core temps not die. So they should be higher. For reference, my range is 46-51 overclocked.

kornchild

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
I updated the BIOS to the newest version and TAT will not work on a Pentium D (mine atleast) and neither will Core Temp.

Okay so I did everything everyone suggested, I figured in the end less is more with the AS5. Evidently not... here are some pics of the process and in the bios after 3 minutes I am sitting at 65ºC CPU Temp (and still rising as I type this, shown in pics) and the CPU fan speed at 2636, System Temp 35ºC and the room is cold....

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

I pressed the Heatsink down on the processor and it spread out to a quarter like shown but I figured it was alittle thick so I cleaned the heat sink off again (another 10 qtips in alcohol for 10 minutes no grease left). You can see that I left the grease on the processor and then reinstalled the heatsink as per the instruction asus provides with their motherboards which were detailed and very helpful!

I'm going to call newegg asap and see if they will take back the board, processor, and ram and exchange it so I can get an AMD setup as this is complete BS.

Please tell me that it is ME and that I am doing something wrong and this isn't a usual circumstance.

Edit:
I am sitting in windows 10 minutes now 0% CPU Usage and my temps in speed fan are 40C & 44C. The second I do anything the temps jump up and I get the flame icon... (50º+C)

Edit again:
Running something as small as CCleaner and making the cpu spike to 45% usage makes the temps hit 56ºC.

kornchild

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
I RMA'd the whole setup and I'm going to reorder and go with AMD X2 this time around like I should have the first time. This damn thing was WAY too hot. I'm sure their not all like this but no more intel for me for along time anyways.