PC to HDTV with DVI/HDMI converter cable?

I'd like to use the HDTV with my PC. I had no luck trying to find
a video adapter with Y Pr Pb component outputs (ATI makes an adapter
for some of their cards, but no dealers seemed to carry it).

However, I can also get a PC video card with DVI output, and
there are DVI to HDMI converter cables; for instance see:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/videoware_1807_4804542

and http://www.svideo.com/dvihdmi10.html

My Toshiba 26HF84 has a HDMI input -- will this work straight
off the PC video card with only that cable adapter?

Sean
5 answers Last reply
More about hdtv hdmi converter cable

    The adapter for Y Pr Pb you might like is called a "Crescendo Transcoder"
    they are VERY well recommended. It runs off of your VGA output. And yes,
    you probably can get away with using a DVI to HDMI adapter cable instead of
    a transcoder, I have done that with a Sony HDTV. However, getting the
    resolution set with DVI is a bitch (at least for me), you will need a
    program called Powerstrip to alter your screen resolutions either way you
    choose to go. Good luck.

    --Dan

    "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The adapter for Y Pr Pb you might like is called a "Crescendo Transcoder"
    > they are VERY well recommended. It runs off of your VGA output. And yes,
    > you probably can get away with using a DVI to HDMI adapter cable instead
    of
    > a transcoder, I have done that with a Sony HDTV. However, getting the
    > resolution set with DVI is a bitch (at least for me), you will need a
    > program called Powerstrip to alter your screen resolutions either way you
    > choose to go. Good luck.
    >
    > --Dan

    So, in theory the DVI to HDMI gives a better quality output because it
    converts a digital signal, and the other one converts VGA?

    In theory, yes.

    I have not used the transcoder myself, but I know that very picky av people
    approve of the transcoder-it must be good, check avsforums. The DVI keeps
    the signal digital all the way into the TV so less conversions are
    necessary, still some people prefer component over DVI. It is a REALLY
    close call. I have not personally done a valid comparison of DVI and
    component or RGB.

    --Dan

    "hg" <hg@gh.hg> wrote in message
    > So, in theory the DVI to HDMI gives a better quality output because it
    > converts a digital signal, and the other one converts VGA?

    The results you get can be quite variable (I don't mean from good to
    terrible). Each piece of equipment may respond a bit differently. In my own
    experience using DVI from my Samsung HD 360 sat/ota receiver to the Toshiba
    42H83 HD RPTV produced a noticeably "crisper" picture than the component
    combination. Both were excellent, but I prefer the DVI. From a purely
    theoretical perspective, it really shouldn't make any difference between
    component and dvi on my Tosh because it is not a fixed pixel display.

    I would definitely try DVI if you have a DLP or LCD. Whether it is worth it
    for a standard HD RPTV, is of some debate and variability. It sure is nice
    to have the choice and the ability to make direct comparisons.

    ....hasan, N0AN
    "hg" <hg@gh.hg> wrote in message

    > "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > The adapter for Y Pr Pb you might like is called a "Crescendo
    Transcoder"
    > > they are VERY well recommended. It runs off of your VGA output. And
    yes,
    > > you probably can get away with using a DVI to HDMI adapter cable instead
    > of
    > > a transcoder, I have done that with a Sony HDTV. However, getting the
    > > resolution set with DVI is a bitch (at least for me), you will need a
    > > program called Powerstrip to alter your screen resolutions either way
    you
    > > choose to go. Good luck.
    > >
    > > --Dan
    >
    > So, in theory the DVI to HDMI gives a better quality output because it
    > converts a digital signal, and the other one converts VGA?

HDTV DVI Cable HDMI Home Theatre