Problem with sfc /scannow

When I run system file checker (sfc.exe /scannow), the program requires that
I insert my Windows 2000 CD. Since I don't have the CD (I only have the
distribution files in the D:\I386 folder), I have clicked on "Cancel" every
time the CD was called for and I completed the program. Immediately after, I
checked the "Windows File Protection" warnings in the system log (via event
viewer) and found two kinds of warning: (1) Event ID 60420 stating that a
file having an incorrect signature was replaced by one with the right one;
and (2) Event Id 64021 stating that the file could not be copied in the
DLLCache ...

This Event ID 64021 occured 27 times and caused the requests for inserting
the Windows 2000 CD. The system log reveals that the files requested were:
thawbrkr.dll, chsbrkr.dll, chtbrkr.dll and more like these. I cannot find
any of them on my hard disk and the only reference to these files on my hard
disk is found in the file c:\winnt\setupapi.log (created when Windows 2000
Pro was installed on my computer). From this file, I gather that these files
were not loaded on initial installation. Additionally, I gather thet these
files have to do with asian language adaptation of Windows (japanese,
chinese, thai, indian and arabic).

Why would Windows consider these files as essential and request them?

Thank you

Georges

PS - this is a metter of curiosity since, despite this, my systems seems to
work well.
3 answers Last reply
More about problem scannow

    Have a look at the Reg_Sz strings;
    "SourcePath"
    and
    "ServicePackSourcePath"

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

    (note that these paths ahould be one level above the \i386 folder)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "gtro" wrote:
    | When I run system file checker (sfc.exe /scannow), the program requires
    that
    | I insert my Windows 2000 CD. Since I don't have the CD (I only have the
    | distribution files in the D:\I386 folder), I have clicked on "Cancel"
    every
    | time the CD was called for and I completed the program. Immediately after,
    | checked the "Windows File Protection" warnings in the system log (via
    event
    | viewer) and found two kinds of warning: (1) Event ID 60420 stating that a
    | file having an incorrect signature was replaced by one with the right one;
    | and (2) Event Id 64021 stating that the file could not be copied in the
    | DLLCache ...
    |
    | This Event ID 64021 occured 27 times and caused the requests for inserting
    | the Windows 2000 CD. The system log reveals that the files requested were:
    | thawbrkr.dll, chsbrkr.dll, chtbrkr.dll and more like these. I cannot find
    | any of them on my hard disk and the only reference to these files on my
    hard
    | disk is found in the file c:\winnt\setupapi.log (created when Windows 2000
    | Pro was installed on my computer). From this file, I gather that these
    files
    | were not loaded on initial installation. Additionally, I gather thet these
    | files have to do with asian language adaptation of Windows (japanese,
    | chinese, thai, indian and arabic).
    |
    | Why would Windows consider these files as essential and request them?
    |
    | Thank you
    |
    | Georges
    |
    | PS - this is a metter of curiosity since, despite this, my systems seems
    | work well.

    Should have said;
    You can point 'SourcePath' to one level above the \i386 folder. Probably
    best to leave 'ServicePackSourcePath' as it is.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Your suggestion has already been applied but the Windows CD is always
    requested. My guess is that the CD is requested because the distribution
    D:\I386 does not have sub-folders lang\tha, lang\jpn, ...

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    uJdHOfD1EHA.132@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Should have said;
    > You can point 'SourcePath' to one level above the \i386 folder. Probably
    > best to leave 'ServicePackSourcePath' as it is.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]