Login problem

I have a friend's computer that I was cleaning up. You know, spyware
and such.

When the computer boots, there's an error given about the password.
Obviously, there's a login file that's trying to bypass having to type
in the password. I'm not sure where to find this and get rid of it.
I can cancel out of the error, type in the password, and boot
normally. Can someone tell me how to find the file that's running at
bootup so I can just get rid of it?

Thanks.

ben

atDFN wrote:
> I have a friend's computer that I was cleaning up. You know, spyware
> and such.
>
> When the computer boots, there's an error given about the password.
> Obviously, there's a login file that's trying to bypass having to type
> in the password. I'm not sure where to find this and get rid of it.
> I can cancel out of the error, type in the password, and boot
> normally. Can someone tell me how to find the file that's running at
> bootup so I can just get rid of it?
>
> Thanks.
>

> ben

If you can get ahold of msconfig.exe from a WinXP computer, copy it to
%systemroot%\system32, and then run it (start, run, msconfig <enter>) and
check the startup tab. Or see http://www.jsiinc.com/subi/tip4200/rh4221.htm
Also check services. What tools (and versions thereof) did you use to remove
the malware?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:03:44 -0500, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>atDFN wrote:
>> I have a friend's computer that I was cleaning up. You know, spyware
>> and such.
>>
>> When the computer boots, there's an error given about the password.
>> Obviously, there's a login file that's trying to bypass having to type
>> in the password. I'm not sure where to find this and get rid of it.
>> I can cancel out of the error, type in the password, and boot
>> normally. Can someone tell me how to find the file that's running at
>> bootup so I can just get rid of it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> ben
>
>If you can get ahold of msconfig.exe from a WinXP computer, copy it to
>%systemroot%\system32, and then run it (start, run, msconfig <enter>) and
>check the startup tab. Or see http://www.jsiinc.com/subi/tip4200/rh4221.htm
>Also check services. What tools (and versions thereof) did you use to remove
>the malware?

I used SpyBot and AdAware (their latest versions). The problem was
there before I ran those utilities, though. I've loaded a copy of
msconfig from my XP computer and will check out the startup tab.

Thanks for your help.

ben

Navigate thru the registry and check any strange item from

HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or
HKCR\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or RunServices

atDFN wrote:
> I have a friend's computer that I was cleaning up. You know, spyware
> and such.
>
> When the computer boots, there's an error given about the password.
> Obviously, there's a login file that's trying to bypass having to type
> in the password. I'm not sure where to find this and get rid of it.
> I can cancel out of the error, type in the password, and boot
> normally. Can someone tell me how to find the file that's running at
> bootup so I can just get rid of it?
>
> Thanks.
>

> ben

Maybe autologin...