Mar 6, 2007
Hi

Thank you for viewing this post

I have a system with the following specs:

* AMD Athlone 64 3800+
* Gigabyte 3D CPU Rocket cooler fan speed 2500 - 4500 rpm
* Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI motherboard with F7p Bios Loaded
* Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP 6600 GT 128Mb GDDR3 128 Bit
* 2x Corsair CMX512 3200XLPRO DDR 400 (2 2 2 5)
* Cooler Master CM Stacker 3x 12cm Front Fans, 1x rear 12cm Fan
1x 8cm top exhaust fan and 1x motherboard cross flow fan
* Thermaltake Purepower 460W power supply

I would really appreciate assistance in overclocking this PC

Thanking you in advance[/b]

Coolest_tech

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hi,

I wrote an overclocking guide, so I'll post it here:
Original link: http://forums.coolestech.com/Overclocking-guide-t-126.html

How to Overclock your CPU:

OK, first off, make sure that you have adequate cooling; this is not a good idea for people with 60C idle CPUs. If you would like to check the temperature, use the monitoring software that came with your computer/mainboard. If you discover that you�re CPU IS hot, then I recommend getting a cooler from a place like NewEgg.Com . To determine what cooler you need, first, check witch slot you have.
The slots that you find on PC that are recent enough to overclock are:

* Socket 478, Intel Pentium 4, Celeron (recent ones), Celeron D
* Socket 775 LGA (Socket T), Pentium 4, Pentium D, Celeron D
* Socket 462 (Socket A), AMD Athlon XT and AMD Athlon MP
* Socket 754, AMD Athlon 64, AMD Semprom
* Socket 939/940, AMD Opteron, AMD Athlon 64, AMD Sempron,

To check which type of socket you have, check with your owner�s manual.

Part 1, BIOS OCing, raising the FSB.
Start by entering the BIOS. To enter the BIOS, reboot the computer. At the first screen that you see, press delete or F1 (check your manual to find out which) to enter the BIOS. Once you have entered the BIOS, look for an option call "Overclocking", "Cell Menu" (on MSI motherboards), or some other similar name. Enter that menu. Check the speed that it says the CPU is running at (Look for numbers next to the text "FSB", which is short for "Front Side Bus"), and do a moderate raise on that (Say, like if it at 200MHz, set it to 210MHz). Exit the Overclocking menu, and save settings. Now, let the computer boot into windows. Now, to make sure that your PC will run stable, download an application called Prime 95 and let it run in what is called "Stress test mode". Let it run for 6 hours. If it finds errors, then lower the Overclock, as it may cause errors with the computer. If there are no errors, then leave it as it is for say a week to make sure that it is working fine. Now, if you feel that you need more speed, then, you can try the same thing again, till you start to get errors. Now, there is a way to remove there errors buy what is called a voltage rise, which is making the voltage on the CPU higher. However, there is a problem with this that it shortens the life of your CPU, and makes it hotter.

CPU OCing, pt. 2, Raise the voltage to make it stable:
OK, so you read the above part, and you Overclock more, but now it starts to fail in Prime95. If you are getting errors, there are many things that can cause it. One is that your RAM (it gets overclocked along with the CPU) is not a good type, and can't handle the Overclock. If this is the case, I recommend getting some new RAM such as the OCz DDR500 for DDR, and the OCz Gold DR2 500 Ram. However, it can also be that the CPU needs more voltage, and if that is the case, then you can also change that in the BIOS.

Ok, so to change the voltage, do the following:

1. Open the BIOS, doing the same thing you did last time
2. Open the Overclocking menu
3. Now, instead of the FSB setting, now use the voltage setting.

With the voltage, you have to be even more careful to not damage the chip, because raising the voltage can make the CPU a lot hotter.

When you rais the voltage, you must not rais it too much. I recomend that you rais it only about 0.1-0.15V, however, this will depend on the CPU. Please post a message on this thread if you want to know exactly how much I recomend (guest can post with the current setting, so you don't have to be a member).

TRENDING THREADS