antivirus and firewall

I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and firewalls you
use. Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an expert to configure
them correctly? Today will be my last day running Windows ME. This evening I
will have my new computer, with XP installed on it. I have a cable modem and
my Trend Micro Internet Security subscription will be expiring soon.

Thanks,
Bonnie
15 answers Last reply
More about antivirus firewall

    Bonnie wrote:
    > I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and firewalls you
    > use. Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an expert to configure
    > them correctly? Today will be my last day running Windows ME. This evening I
    > will have my new computer, with XP installed on it. I have a cable modem and
    > my Trend Micro Internet Security subscription will be expiring soon.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bonnie

    You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will responses.

    I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
    Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all without
    any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that. But it's
    been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee products.
    Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they were acquired
    by Network Associates.

    However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
    Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
    higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
    expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
    GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the free
    version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
    (http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
    easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I was
    pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable improvement in
    my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec product.

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected to --
    protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people have
    bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing claims of
    easy computing. They believe that their computer should be no harder to
    operate than a toaster oven; they have neither the inclination or desire
    to learn how to safely use their computer. All too few people keep
    their antivirus software current, install patches in a timely manner, or
    stop to really think about that cutesy link they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every
    computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I use McAfee Firewall Plus v6 and Viruscan 9 and find them pretty easy and
    foolproof.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.

    In news:2o6dncKima8GL6ffRVn-rA@comcast.com,
    Bonnie <me@comcast.net> typed:

    > I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and
    > firewalls you use.

    The problem with a question like this is that you will get many
    different opinions. Because there are lots of choices, and many
    of them are good, different folks will use different products,
    and you may end up as confused as when you started.

    That said, I use Norton Anti-Virus. Although most of my fellow
    MVPs speak of it with scorn, I've used it for years without a
    problem, and have never seen any reason to change.

    For a firewall, I use the free version of ZoneAlarm.

    > Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an
    > expert to configure them correctly?

    Nothing is quite idiot-proof, but they are both easy to use and
    configure. An expert shouldn't be required.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Bonnie wrote:
    > I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and firewalls you
    > use. Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an expert to configure
    > them correctly? Today will be my last day running Windows ME. This evening I
    > will have my new computer, with XP installed on it. I have a cable modem and
    > my Trend Micro Internet Security subscription will be expiring soon.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bonnie

    We use the Corporate version of Trend Micro at work and I use the
    Internet 2005 suite at my house. I've never had it conflict with
    other programs and I've never had a virus get through. Been running
    both for over 5 years. IMO renew your subscription.

    gls858

    Bonnie wrote:
    || I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and
    || firewalls you use. Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an
    || expert to configure them correctly? Today will be my last day
    || running Windows ME. This evening I will have my new computer, with
    || XP installed on it.

    Firstly, BEFORE you connect your new XP machine to the Internet, YOU MUST
    either install your Trend package onto the new machine, OR, enable the
    Windows XP Firewall. Otherwise you will get worms within seconds of
    connecting.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We use the Corporate version of Trend Micro at work and I use the
    > Internet 2005 suite at my house. I've never had it conflict with
    > other programs and I've never had a virus get through. Been running
    > both for over 5 years. IMO renew your subscription.
    >
    > gls858

    I've never had a problem with it either...so I think I'll stick with it.
    Norton really messed up my present computer with WinME on it. Left such a
    bad taste in my mouth that it would be my last choice.

    But thanks to everyone for their input. I will investigate your suggestions
    anyway.

    Bonnie

    Hi,

    Not an expert and I'm sure your question will initiate a lengthy discussion.

    Well, I guess the general answer will be - it depends. Each one has its own
    advantages and disadvantages.

    But for my 2 cents and based on my limited experiences, I would still
    recommend NIS 2005 from Symantec is worthy to be considered. Of course, many
    will disagree.

    Here is the thing - it's not so expensive and it consistently updates its
    software including virus definition. Since I used it from NIS 2003 Pro, I
    have not had a virus attack and the firewall is very effective to the degree
    of personal use. But that also includes certain good personal practice,
    such as do not open files directly from emails. And of course, a really
    good hacker can break into any system he/she wants to.

    But installation is kind of tricky in some cases. You would better to
    follow exactly the instructions for how to install and configure it. It is
    also advised, based on my experience, that you run all updates after
    installation and before do the detailed configurations and integration with
    other programs, such as email client.

    My own reasoning about this practice is that this will correct all the
    previous bugs or other defects first before it integrated with other
    applications.

    Based on reviews I read, Trend Micro is also a nice one but I don't have
    hands-on experience. But personally, I dislike MacAfee because its
    integration with Windows XP got me so many problems, and its support. So I
    don't use it even it is FREE with my paid MSN subscription.

    That's it for my part, and you can hear what others have to say.

    Good luck.

    "Bonnie" <me@comcast.net> ???????:2o6dncKima8GL6ffRVn-rA@comcast.com...
    >I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and firewalls you
    > use. Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an expert to configure
    > them correctly? Today will be my last day running Windows ME. This evening
    > will have my new computer, with XP installed on it. I have a cable modem
    > and
    > my Trend Micro Internet Security subscription will be expiring soon.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bonnie

    > Windows XP Firewall. Otherwise you will get worms within seconds of
    > connecting.

    Hi Gordon,
    excuse the interupt of the thread, but I too am curious about OP's
    topic.
    is it really true that the attacks come due to non-firewall instal?
    I have my win98 (this one) connected to the net and I have never
    had a firewall. I do however have an AV.
    Is it an XP attack orientated thing primarily?
    I have XP pro but it isnt connected, but even though its not, I
    certainly would have expected better security.

    ta
    griff

    You should definately have a firewall as anything can enter your computer in
    seconds without one. There are loads of free ones out there. Microsoft XP
    SP2's Windows Firewall is effective but only protects against incoming, not
    outgoing bugs.
    Protection of your PC is your responsibility not MSFT's.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.

    griffin wrote:
    ||| Windows XP Firewall. Otherwise you will get worms within seconds of
    ||| connecting.
    || Hi Gordon,
    || excuse the interupt of the thread, but I too am curious about OP's
    || topic.
    || is it really true that the attacks come due to non-firewall instal?
    || I have my win98 (this one) connected to the net and I have never
    || had a firewall. I do however have an AV.
    || Is it an XP attack orientated thing primarily?
    || I have XP pro but it isnt connected, but even though its not, I
    || certainly would have expected better security.
    || ta
    || griff

    Windows 9x were immune to Blaster and Sasser I believe....XP certainly is
    not, and neither is W2K (I think)....

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    griffin wrote:

    > Hi Gordon,
    > excuse the interupt of the thread, but I too am curious about OP's
    > topic.
    > is it really true that the attacks come due to non-firewall instal?
    > I have my win98 (this one) connected to the net and I have never
    > had a firewall. I do however have an AV.
    > Is it an XP attack orientated thing primarily?
    > I have XP pro but it isnt connected, but even though its not, I
    > certainly would have expected better security.
    >
    > ta
    > griff

    There are several well-known and widely publicized Worms that are
    specifically designed to attack and infect unpatched and unprotected
    Win2K and WinXP machines via networking services that do not exist on
    Win9x computers.

    For instance:

    What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm

    W32.Welchia.Worm a.k.a. W32/Nachi.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm.html

    What You should Know about the Sasser Worm and its Variants
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    About McAfee, I totally agreed and used it for many many years before moving
    to Symantec. I used to think this is the so-called Microsoft in the
    anti-virus field but was disappointed that I won't use its products anymore.

    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com>
    ???????:%23xhtiT8KFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    >
    > List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500
    >
    > Home PC Firewall Guide
    > http://www.firewallguide.com/
    >
    > Scumware.com
    > http://www.scumware.com/
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    "Bonnie" <me@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and firewalls you
    > use. Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an expert to configure
    > them correctly? Today will be my last day running Windows ME. This evening
    > will have my new computer, with XP installed on it. I have a cable modem
    > and
    > my Trend Micro Internet Security subscription will be expiring soon.

    I use the WinXP SP2 firewall and AVG 7 (free) anti-virus.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    I personally use Norton's Internet Security 2005 at present [2003 before
    that] and find them find both the Firewall and Anti-Virus components to be
    very effective. I do not care for McAfee products.There are many free
    products out there which do an excellent job; among them, the free version
    of Zone Alarm for a Firewall AND the free version of AVG as an Anti-Virus
    program. I would try them prior to spending money. The MAIN thing is to keep
    them updated [every day if possible]. As a matter of comment, I do not use
    the Spam and parental control portions of Norton because of problems in the
    past with them. Most ISP's now provide some form of built-in spam control.
    For POP E-mail spam control, I am now trying OnlyMyEmail
    [http:\\www.onlymyemail.com] which PC World magazine states is the best they
    have tested.
    Gene K

    "Bonnie" <me@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and firewalls you
    > use. Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an expert to configure
    > them correctly? Today will be my last day running Windows ME. This evening
    > will have my new computer, with XP installed on it. I have a cable modem
    > and
    > my Trend Micro Internet Security subscription will be expiring soon.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bonnie

    I have used Panda AV for three years, with no issues. Cost is in the $40-50
    range, updates at least daily, easy to work with, I have had no viruses in 3
    yrs.
    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Bonnie" <me@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and firewalls
    >> you
    >> use. Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an expert to configure
    >> them correctly? Today will be my last day running Windows ME. This
    >> evening I
    >> will have my new computer, with XP installed on it. I have a cable modem
    >> and
    >> my Trend Micro Internet Security subscription will be expiring soon.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bonnie
    >
    > I use the WinXP SP2 firewall and AVG 7 (free) anti-virus.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC