Registry on Data Disk?

Mike

Splendid

I have a system that crashed due to a motherboard failure. I am going to
rebuild it but expect that the system on the hard disk will not boot with the
new equipment. Not a problem, I can reinstall Win2K and reload the apps from
scratch. However, I really would like to read some of the app settings
contained in the registry of the old system. I can mount the hard drive as a
data drive on another system and access the registry files in system32/config.
I started to open them with regedit on that system, but registry asked if I
really want to load those values into the registry, which I really do *not*
want to do.

Does a registry viewer exist that would allow me to view the settings in the
registry files on the old system disk which I have mounted as a system disk?

Ideas?

--
Mike.

Run regedt32, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive.
Then navigate to the location of the hive you want to edit/read. Give it
some tempname (doesn't matter what). Then when your done, move the cursor
back to tempname, then Registry|Unload Hive, Registry|Exit

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mike" wrote:
|I have a system that crashed due to a motherboard failure. I am going to
| rebuild it but expect that the system on the hard disk will not boot with
the
| new equipment. Not a problem, I can reinstall Win2K and reload the apps
from
| scratch. However, I really would like to read some of the app settings
| contained in the registry of the old system. I can mount the hard drive as
| data drive on another system and access the registry files in
system32/config.
| I started to open them with regedit on that system, but registry asked if
| really want to load those values into the registry, which I really do
*not*
| want to do.
|
| Does a registry viewer exist that would allow me to view the settings in
the
| registry files on the old system disk which I have mounted as a system
disk?

| Ideas?
|
| --
| Mike.

Mike

Splendid

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:39:37 -0700, Dave Patrick wrote:
> Run regedt32, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive.
> Then navigate to the location of the hive you want to edit/read. Give it
> some tempname (doesn't matter what). Then when your done, move the cursor
> back to tempname, then Registry|Unload Hive, Registry|Exit

Thank you. That really helps. I did find that one has to sometimes close and
reopen the hive before the unload feature is available. The collective
knowledge that exists on the internet is astounding.

--
Thanks, Mike.

Glad it help. You're welcome.