E6600 Overclocking

Katamarino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hi guys, I have been trying to overclock my E6600 using the two C2D stickies at the top of the page.

I have an E6600 on an Asus P5B Deluxe, Corsair Twinx Dominator PC6400 RAM.

I have followed the instructions in the overclock guide, setting FSB to 333MHz (and underclocking RAM at 667 to get 1:1), and windows wont boot with a VCore anywhere below 1.3875. This confuses me, as I see numerous reports on here of people getting to 3.2GHz and more using stock 1.2 VCores, and it worries me that I can't even hit 3GHz without using this higher setting.

Can anyone point me towards any beginners errors I may be making here? I have the RAM and FSB voltages set to auto - could it be that I need to set the FSB voltage up, and it's this that is causing the problems?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi guys, I have been trying to overclock my E6600 using the two C2D stickies at the top of the page.

I have an E6600 on an Asus P5B Deluxe, Corsair Twinx Dominator PC6400 RAM.

I have followed the instructions in the overclock guide, setting FSB to 333MHz (and underclocking RAM at 667 to get 1:1), and windows wont boot with a VCore anywhere below 1.3875. This confuses me, as I see numerous reports on here of people getting to 3.2GHz and more using stock 1.2 VCores, and it worries me that I can't even hit 3GHz without using this higher setting.

Can anyone point me towards any beginners errors I may be making here? I have the RAM and FSB voltages set to auto - could it be that I need to set the FSB voltage up, and it's this that is causing the problems?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Its prolly doing what my rig did - up the ram vcore to 1.9v and manually set the ram timings in the bios.

Katamarino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I have the RAM timings set to 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS, which are the rated timings - when on SPD detect, it chose 5-6-6-15 :s

I've gotten the VCore down to 1.375, but if I take it any lower windows won't fully boot - are you of the opinion that RAM voltage 1.9 will help me get VCore lower?

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I have exact same cpu and mobo as you. I don't know about your memory, but my OCZ rev.2 DDR2-800 needs 2.1V to work at 800mhz (actual data rate). I think it'll be the same with your memory.

Just for your info, I'm presently at 3.0cpu-1.33fsb and never crashed at all. Next step is taking cpu divider to 8 (instead of 9) and pushing my fsb to 400. That'll give me 3.2 effective clock and 1.6GHZ fsb, with my dual-DDR2 working on a 1:1 basis with my northbridge. I'll let you know how stable it turns out.

Katamarino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I am currently at 1.33 Rated Bus and 3GHz clock as well, and my next step was to be the same as yours. I look forward to hearing how yours goes!

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
NightlySputnik,

Let me know how that works out. I couldnt use the 8X on my rig, although I have a different mobo. I had to take my vcore up way too high (1.55), and then even with my Thermalright, it was getting way too hot.

A nice goal would be to get to 3.6Ghz, at 400 FSB, and 1:1 with out RAM. If you get that, let me know what vcore you have and what your ram timings are. I currently have 4-4-4-12 at 2.2v for this ram.

dann

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
NightlySputnik & FishBoi

Smooth OCs!
Are you using the OEM cooling on your mobos "bridges" or some additional HS/fans?

I have the RAM timings set to 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS, which are the rated timings - when on SPD detect, it chose 5-6-6-15 :s

I've gotten the VCore down to 1.375, but if I take it any lower windows won't fully boot - are you of the opinion that RAM voltage 1.9 will help me get VCore lower?

My bios liked to think my ram was rated at C4-4-4-12 (default at 800 is 5-5-5-15) so every time i wanted to get past the ~1300 FSB mark my ram capped me till i realised what my board was doing with my ram, as soon as it was at 1.9v or manually configured (timings) it reached FSB1600

CompuTronix

Intel Master
windows wont boot with a VCore anywhere below 1.3875. This confuses me, as I see numerous reports on here of people getting to 3.2GHz and more using stock 1.2 VCores, and it worries me that I can't even hit 3GHz without using this higher setting.

Katamarino, understand that there are no CPU's 100% identical. There are nearly 300,00 transistors in a C2D, and every silicon nano-circuit is unique. Each has slightly different basic properties of electronics such as resistance, capacitance, inductance, impedance, and transconductance. Although two consecutive serial number CPU's from the same fabrication, with the same stepping codes, may appear identical, they're yielded from different location on the silicon wafer from which they're manufactured, and like diamonds, each has it's own unique flaws.

Even though their dynamic operational characteristics may be very similar, no two CPU's will overclock to exactly the same stable maximum speed, at the same voltage, at the same temperature. Additionally, in a dual core processor, one core will always become unstable before the other. Your particular E6600 simply may not be "clean" enough silicon to reach 3.2 Ghz with less than 1.4875 Vcore. That's just the luck of the overclocking draw.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

windows wont boot with a VCore anywhere below 1.3875. This confuses me, as I see numerous reports on here of people getting to 3.2GHz and more using stock 1.2 VCores, and it worries me that I can't even hit 3GHz without using this higher setting.

Katamarino, understand that there are no CPU's 100% identical. There are nearly 300,00 transistors in a C2D, and every silicon nano-circuit is unique. Each has slightly different basic properties of electronics such as resistance, capacitance, inductance, impedance, and transconductance. Although two consecutive serial number CPU's from the same fabrication, with the same stepping codes, may appear identical, they're yielded from different location on the silicon wafer from which they're manufactured, and like diamonds, each has it's own unique flaws.

Even though their dynamic operational characteristics may be very similar, no two CPU's will overclock to exactly the same stable maximum speed, at the same voltage, at the same temperature. Additionally, in a dual core processor, one core will always become unstable before the other. Your particular E6600 simply may not be "clean" enough silicon to reach 3.2 Ghz with less than 1.4875 Vcore. That's just the luck of the overclocking draw.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

300,00? that little amount? ;)

Its always luck of the draw!

My old P4c 2600 didnt even reach 2.93ghz yet other people were reporting 3.25+ghz :lol: :lol: :lol: what a poor sample i got

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I am currently at 1.33 Rated Bus and 3GHz clock as well, and my next step was to be the same as yours. I look forward to hearing how yours goes!

Unfortunatly I'm going out of town on a trip for the next trip. I'll make sure to post my result when I'll get back on the 18th.

Last minute travel... screw up my pkan, but a men has got to keep his wife happy... :wink:

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
NightlySputnik,

Let me know how that works out. I couldnt use the 8X on my rig, although I have a different mobo. I had to take my vcore up way too high (1.55), and then even with my Thermalright, it was getting way too hot.

A nice goal would be to get to 3.6Ghz, at 400 FSB, and 1:1 with out RAM. If you get that, let me know what vcore you have and what your ram timings are. I currently have 4-4-4-12 at 2.2v for this ram.

On my P5B Deluxe, the ratio setting is where you get the information on Vanderpool, C1E, etc...

About the memory, my DDR2-800 is running at (not sure about the exact number) 833mhz, 4-4-4-15 and 2.15V. I have to use either 2.05 or 2.15, so I went for the later. I set it at 667mhz but with my OC it comes up to that number.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
NightlySputnik & FishBoi

Smooth OCs!
Are you using the OEM cooling on your mobos "bridges" or some additional HS/fans?

I'm using a TT BigTyphoon (see signature) heatsink with fan set to maximum setting. It's still quite silent even a max speed.

Also, my case has a 25cm (10 inches) fan pushing cool air right onto my BigTyphoon heatsink. My memory and even my AsusX1950Pro gets some of this airflow also.

I'm pretty sure that this adds up to as much cooling power as most cheap watercooling setup.