Does Moz/xe send a keep alive ping?

When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer pings
the following-

TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx
which is - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
anywhere

Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
windows xp and its network protocol.

Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?

I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
going on.

BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a router
and zonealarm.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

That is a local I.P address so traffic is not going out to the Internet.
Are you seeing this as an error in your firewall ?

"Gordon Abbot" wrote:

> When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer pings
> the following-
>
> TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx
> which is - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
> loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
> address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
> This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
> but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
> anywhere
>
> Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
> continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
> windows xp and its network protocol.
>
> Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?
>
> I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
> going on.
>
> BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
> spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a router
> and zonealarm.
>
> GA
> --
> My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

No.

TimH wrote:
> That is a local I.P address so traffic is not going out to the Internet.
> Are you seeing this as an error in your firewall ?
>

> "Gordon Abbot" wrote:
>

>>When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer pings
>>the following-
>>
>>TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx
>>which is - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
>> loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
>> address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
>> This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
>> but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
>> anywhere
>>
>>Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
>>continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
>>windows xp and its network protocol.
>>
>>Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?
>>
>>I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
>>going on.
>>
>>BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
>>spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a router
>>and zonealarm.
>>
>>GA
>>--
>>My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Also, it does not do this in MSIE, only Mozilla, so somethig is set in
Mozila to ask. I have checked the Moz settings and cannot find anything.

GA

Gordon Abbot wrote:

> No.
>
> TimH wrote:
>
>> That is a local I.P address so traffic is not going out to the Internet.
>> Are you seeing this as an error in your firewall ?
>>

>> "Gordon Abbot" wrote:
>>

>>> When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer
>>> pings the following-
>>>
>>> TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx
>>> which is - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
>>> loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
>>> address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
>>> This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
>>> but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
>>> anywhere
>>>
>>> Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
>>> continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
>>> windows xp and its network protocol.
>>>
>>> Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?
>>>
>>> I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
>>> going on.
>>>
>>> BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
>>> spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a
>>> router and zonealarm.
>>>
>>> GA
>>> --
>>> My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Gordon Abbot wrote:
> When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer pings
> the following-
>
> TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx
> which is - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
> loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
> address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
> This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
> but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
> anywhere
>
> Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
> continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
> windows xp and its network protocol.
>
> Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?
>
> I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
> going on.
>
> BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
> spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a router
> and zonealarm.
>
> GA

It would be useful for us to know how you are connected to the Net i.e
dialup, cable, adsl etc and wether you are using router.

I personally would hazard a guess and say that you need to check your
setup of Mozzilla and ensure that automatic discovery of proxy is not
enabled. Please not more info would be a help here in regards to the
type and method of connection.

Anthony wrote:

> Gordon Abbot wrote:
>
>> When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer
>> pings the following-
>>
>> TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx
>> which is - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
>> loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
>> address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
>> This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
>> but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
>> anywhere
>>
>> Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
>> continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
>> windows xp and its network protocol.
>>
>> Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?
>>
>> I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
>> going on.
>>
>> BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
>> spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a
>> router and zonealarm.
>>
>> GA
>

> It would be useful for us to know how you are connected to the Net i.e
> dialup, cable, adsl etc and wether you are using router.
>
> I personally would hazard a guess and say that you need to check your
> setup of Mozzilla and ensure that automatic discovery of proxy is not
> enabled. Please not more info would be a help here in regards to the
> type and method of connection.

Sorry- cable modem with router and zone alarm firewall with not much
more than Mozilla allowed. All other programs have to ask. I am not
getting any zonealarm popups requesting permission to connect to the
Internet.

I do have the automatic discovery IP address enabled in XP.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Fixed. It was a Mozilla advanced http setting that sends a keep alive
signal every 15 seconds. One check mark and all gone.

GA

Gordon Abbot wrote:
> Fixed. It was a Mozilla advanced http setting that sends a keep alive
> signal every 15 seconds. One check mark and all gone.
>
> GA
>
> Gordon Abbot wrote:
>
>> Also, it does not do this in MSIE, only Mozilla, so somethig is set in
>> Mozila to ask. I have checked the Moz settings and cannot find anything.
>>
>> GA
>>
>> Gordon Abbot wrote:
>>
>>> No.

MMMM - Which setting was the offender under the advanced section?

Anthony wrote:
> Gordon Abbot wrote:
>
>> Fixed. It was a Mozilla advanced http setting that sends a keep alive
>> signal every 15 seconds. One check mark and all gone.
>>
>> GA
>>
>> Gordon Abbot wrote:
>>
>>> Also, it does not do this in MSIE, only Mozilla, so somethig is set
>>> in Mozila to ask. I have checked the Moz settings and cannot find
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> GA

> MMMM - Which setting was the offender under the advanced section?

edit/preferences/advanced/http processing and the keep alive check box
is right there.

Everything is easy when you know where to look.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.