Main Diff between Fat & Ntfs

hi,
circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.

without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
with access to the internet?
i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
& drop to hearts content.
i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
point to a folder that i had made in xp.

branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?

ta
griff
7 answers Last reply
More about main diff ntfs

    griffin wrote:
    > hi,
    > circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.
    >
    > without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
    > fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
    > is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
    > if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
    > with access to the internet?
    > i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
    > & drop to hearts content.
    > i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
    > switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
    > point to a folder that i had made in xp.
    >
    > branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
    > security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?
    >
    > ta
    > griff

    I hope you mean on two separate partitions. Running two operating systems on
    one partition is just asking for trouble. 9x/ME based operating systems
    cannot read from, nor write to, NTFS formatted partitions. So, if you
    changed the XP file system to NTFS you'd lose the ability to boot to 98.

    griffin wrote:
    > hi,
    > circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.
    >
    > without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
    > fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
    > is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
    > if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
    > with access to the internet?
    > i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
    > & drop to hearts content.
    > i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
    > switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
    > point to a folder that i had made in xp.
    >
    > branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
    > security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?
    >
    > ta
    > griff

    Personally, I wouldn't even consider using FAT32 when NTFS is an
    option. FAT32 has no security capabilities, no compression
    capabilities, no fault tolerance, and a lot of wasted hard drive space
    on volumes larger than 8 Gb in size. But your computing needs may
    vary, and there is no hard and fast answer.

    To answer your questions without getting too technical is
    difficult, but has been handled quite well by the late Alex Nichol in
    the article here:

    FAT & NTFS File Systems in Windows XP
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfs.htm

    Somewhat more technical information is here:

    Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314463

    Choosing Between File Systems
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winntas/tips/techrep/filesyst.asp

    NTFS file system
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    This link will tell you all. There is a link on it called "NTFS vs FAT32".
    http://www.ntfs.com/

    "griffin" <griffin@internode.org> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.
    >
    > without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
    > fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
    > is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
    > if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
    > with access to the internet?
    > i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
    > & drop to hearts content.
    > i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
    > switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
    > point to a folder that i had made in xp.
    >
    > branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
    > security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?
    >
    > ta
    > griff

    The biger the drive the faster is NTFS. Plus NTFS uses heaps less memory.

    "griffin" <griffin@internode.org> wrote in message news:eEg3cs7KFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > hi,
    > circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.
    >
    > without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
    > fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
    > is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
    > if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
    > with access to the internet?
    > i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
    > & drop to hearts content.
    > i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
    > switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
    > point to a folder that i had made in xp.
    >
    > branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
    > security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?
    >
    > ta
    > griff

    No fault tolerence is wrong. Fat has two copies of the Fat. That is very much more than NTFS. NTFS is transacted for metadata.

    > This link will tell you all. There is a link on it called "NTFS vs
    FAT32".
    > http://www.ntfs.com/

    thanks to all repliers, i will check out all of the links
    you posted.

    ta
    griff

    you're welcome

    >> This link will tell you all. There is a link on it called "NTFS vs
    > FAT32".
    >> http://www.ntfs.com/
    >

    > thanks to all repliers, i will check out all of the links
    > you posted.
    >
    > ta
    > griff

NTFS Windows XP