Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Main Diff between Fat & Ntfs

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
March 19, 2005 2:42:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

hi,
circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.

without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
with access to the internet?
i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
& drop to hearts content.
i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
point to a folder that i had made in xp.

branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?

ta
griff

More about : main diff fat ntfs

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:42:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

griffin wrote:
> hi,
> circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.
>
> without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
> fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
> is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
> if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
> with access to the internet?
> i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
> & drop to hearts content.
> i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
> switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
> point to a folder that i had made in xp.
>
> branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
> security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?
>
> ta
> griff

I hope you mean on two separate partitions. Running two operating systems on
one partition is just asking for trouble. 9x/ME based operating systems
cannot read from, nor write to, NTFS formatted partitions. So, if you
changed the XP file system to NTFS you'd lose the ability to boot to 98.

--
In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:42:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

griffin wrote:
> hi,
> circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.
>
> without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
> fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
> is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
> if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
> with access to the internet?
> i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
> & drop to hearts content.
> i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
> switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
> point to a folder that i had made in xp.
>
> branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
> security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?
>
> ta
> griff
>
>


Personally, I wouldn't even consider using FAT32 when NTFS is an
option. FAT32 has no security capabilities, no compression
capabilities, no fault tolerance, and a lot of wasted hard drive space
on volumes larger than 8 Gb in size. But your computing needs may
vary, and there is no hard and fast answer.

To answer your questions without getting too technical is
difficult, but has been handled quite well by the late Alex Nichol in
the article here:

FAT & NTFS File Systems in Windows XP
http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfs.htm

Somewhat more technical information is here:

Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=k...;en-us;Q314463

Choosing Between File Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?u...

NTFS file system
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Related resources
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:42:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

This link will tell you all. There is a link on it called "NTFS vs FAT32".
http://www.ntfs.com/

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"griffin" <griffin@internode.org> wrote in message
news:eEg3cs7KFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> hi,
> circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.
>
> without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
> fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
> is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
> if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
> with access to the internet?
> i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
> & drop to hearts content.
> i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
> switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
> point to a folder that i had made in xp.
>
> branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
> security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?
>
> ta
> griff
>
>
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 3:33:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

The biger the drive the faster is NTFS. Plus NTFS uses heaps less memory.

--
----------------------------------------------------------

"griffin" <griffin@internode.org> wrote in message news:eEg3cs7KFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> hi,
> circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.
>
> without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
> fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
> is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
> if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
> with access to the internet?
> i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
> & drop to hearts content.
> i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
> switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
> point to a folder that i had made in xp.
>
> branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
> security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?
>
> ta
> griff
>
>
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 4:36:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

No fault tolerence is wrong. Fat has two copies of the Fat. That is very much more than NTFS. NTFS is transacted for metadata.

--
----------------------------------------------------------

"Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message news:%23CgUWX8KFHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> griffin wrote:
>> hi,
>> circumstance:::::: running win98 & xp on same partitioned drive.
>>
>> without going into too much detail, is the main difference between
>> fat32 & ntfs all to do with Security?
>> is/are there many or any other benefits to having ntfs on an xp o/s
>> if running win98 as the prime o/s, especially if win98 is the only one
>> with access to the internet?
>> i think it is great that i can see both o/s's from explorer, can drag
>> & drop to hearts content.
>> i installed xp (finally) tonight, and i wanted it to have winzip so i
>> switched to win98, connected, downloaded it, and made the d/l
>> point to a folder that i had made in xp.
>>
>> branched a bit, but really, is it only xp's superiority regarding
>> security that makes ntfs the better way to go......?
>>
>> ta
>> griff
>>
>>
>
>
> Personally, I wouldn't even consider using FAT32 when NTFS is an
> option. FAT32 has no security capabilities, no compression
> capabilities, no fault tolerance, and a lot of wasted hard drive space
> on volumes larger than 8 Gb in size. But your computing needs may
> vary, and there is no hard and fast answer.
>
> To answer your questions without getting too technical is
> difficult, but has been handled quite well by the late Alex Nichol in
> the article here:
>
> FAT & NTFS File Systems in Windows XP
> http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfs.htm
>
> Somewhat more technical information is here:
>
> Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=k...;en-us;Q314463
>
> Choosing Between File Systems
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?u...
>
> NTFS file system
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
March 19, 2005 11:38:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
news:#poSzK#KFHA.4092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> This link will tell you all. There is a link on it called "NTFS vs
FAT32".
> http://www.ntfs.com/


thanks to all repliers, i will check out all of the links
you posted.

ta
griff
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

you're welcome

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"griffin" <griffin@internode.org> wrote in message
news:eBQKNqGLFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:#poSzK#KFHA.4092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> This link will tell you all. There is a link on it called "NTFS vs
> FAT32".
>> http://www.ntfs.com/
>
>
> thanks to all repliers, i will check out all of the links
> you posted.
>
> ta
> griff
>
>
!