File / Folder Limits

All,

Does anyone know how many files can be in one folder?
4 answers Last reply
More about file folder limits

    From the resource kit;

    Table 3.10 FAT16 Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Maximum file size 2^32 - 1 bytes
    Maximum volume size 4 GB
    Files per volume 2^16

    Maximum Sizes on FAT32 Volumes
    The FAT32 volume must have at least 65,527 clusters. The maximum number of
    clusters on a FAT32 volume is 4,177,918. Windows 2000 creates volumes up to
    32 GB, but you can use larger volumes created by other operating systems
    such as Windows 98. Table 3.11 lists FAT32 size limits.

    Table 3.11 FAT32 Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Maximum file size 2^32 - 1 bytes
    Maximum volume size 32 GB (This is due to the Windows 2000 format utility.
    The maximum volume size that Windows 98 can create is 127.53 GB).
    Files per volume Approximately 4 million

    Important

    Windows 2000 can format new FAT32 volumes up to 32 GB in size but can mount
    larger volumes (for example, up to 127.53 GB and 4,177,918 clusters from a
    volume formatted with the limits of Windows 98). It is possible to mount
    volumes that exceed these limits, but doing so has not been tested and is
    not recommended.

    Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
    In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 2^32 clusters. However, even if
    there were hardware available to supply a logical volume of that capacity,
    there are other limitations to the maximum size of a volume.

    One of these limitations is partition tables. By industry standards,
    partition tables are limited to 2^32 sectors. Sector size, another
    limitation, is a function of hardware and industry standards, and is
    typically 512 bytes. While sector sizes might increase in the future, the
    current size puts a limit on a single volume of 2 terabytes (2^32 * 512
    bytes, or 241 bytes).

    For now, 2 terabytes should be considered the practical limit for both
    physical and logical volumes using NTFS.

    The maximum number of files on an NTFS volume is 2^32 - 1. Table 3.12 lists
    NTFS size limits.

    Table 3.12 NTFS Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Maximum file size 264 bytes - 1 KB (On disk format)
    244 bytes - 64 KB (Implementation)

    Maximum volume size 264 allocation units (On disk format)
    2^32 allocation units (Implementation)

    Files per volume 2^32 - 1

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "LJ" wrote:
    | All,
    |
    | Does anyone know how many files can be in one folder?

    It depends on the file system that you are using. If you are using
    FAT32 the maximum number of files or folders that can be within a folder
    is 65,534. If you use long file names that number can be reduced
    significantly, I've quite often seen FAT32 folders conk out at 20 to 25
    thousand files.

    If you are using NTFS file system the number of files that you can jam
    in a folder is practically unlimited, if you're a stickler for exact
    numbers you can stick 4,294,967,295 files on an NTFS Volume and they can
    be stuffed in folders as you please. You should be aware that all is
    not as rosy as it seems. FAT32 is faster than NTFS. NTFS folders are
    slow to open when large number of files and folders are contained within.

    John

    LJ wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Does anyone know how many files can be in one folder?

    To qualify John's statement a little: Accessing a folder with
    5,000 files on an NTFS volume takes about twice as long
    as on a FAT32 volume. As you increase the number of files,
    access time goes up exponentially.

    "=?Utf-8?B?TEo=?=" <LJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > All,
    >
    > Does anyone know how many files can be in one folder?

    Everyone else has pointed out that under NTFS there is a huge number of
    files that you can put in a single directory. However performance will
    drop as you get very large numbers. You can do things like turn off 8.3
    name creation and last access date updating to speed things up. On a
    server with a very fast disk subsystem (fast SCSI hardware RAID) you
    will get ok performance with 100,000's but I would keep it to smaller
    numbers. I have seen several million in a directory.

    Leonard Severt

    Microsoft Enterprise Support
    rights.

Microsoft Windows