Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Hard drive crashed

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 6, 2007 2:49:22 PM

My Maxtor DiamondMax 9 SATA/150 drive is making a clicking sound and it won't start my computer or detected by windows even if I install it on another comp or as a 2nd drive. The clicking sound starts as soon as it powers up but stops clicking after a few minutes. The data inside is important so I'm thinking of having it recovered professionally unless there are other options if someone can suggest. If not, how much would be a good estimate on the cost to recover the entire contents of the drive. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

More about : hard drive crashed

a b G Storage
March 6, 2007 4:37:52 PM

It depends on what failed. I have gotten initial estimates as high as $2500, but that is not typical. If the drive has to be physically disassembled expect to pay a lot. It may just be the controller card on the drive, which would be less expensive. If the heads crashed, you may never be able to recover all of the data.
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 6, 2007 5:44:23 PM

Quote:
My Maxtor DiamondMax 9 SATA/150 drive is making a clicking sound and it won't start my computer or detected by windows even if I install it on another comp or as a 2nd drive. The clicking sound starts as soon as it powers up but stops clicking after a few minutes. The data inside is important so I'm thinking of having it recovered professionally unless there are other options if someone can suggest. If not, how much would be a good estimate on the cost to recover the entire contents of the drive. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

I do this professionally and can offer some money saving advice.

DISCLAIMER: The longer you leave the power on the less likely you are to recover all the data. Every time you hear that noise, a little bit of data is lost.

Really the only way you can recover data yourself is if the drive can be seen inside windows/bios. Tools such as spinrite/get data back/... require the drive to be mounted. To test this do this process:

right click my computer -> manage -> disk management -> See your drive? possibly unformatted?
March 6, 2007 7:17:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. Didn't think it would be that expensive, $2500?? Really?? Will see if I can mount the drive as soon as I get home.
a b G Storage
March 6, 2007 7:19:28 PM

$2500 is worst case scenario where they have to physically disassemble your drive to extract your data.
a b G Storage
March 6, 2007 7:59:02 PM

Depending on the size of the hard drive, $1000 and up is what you are looking at. $2500 is a bit high for a general failure, but within expectations. I would recomend DRIVE SAVERS if that is the route you must take.

Anyway, what I am hoping is that the drive nuked the partition table, which means it becomes an unformatted drive, which means you will not see it in My Computer. If you can see it using the method I described, let us know and then stop using the drive until we can help you further.
March 7, 2007 3:02:01 AM

Ok, I cannot find it in Disk management. I'm using an USB to SATA adapter because comp won't boot if I install it as a 2nd drive. You mentioned drive savers. What are those?
a b G Storage
March 7, 2007 12:59:50 PM

No boot, meaning its hanging on the boot process scanning the drive. Call up drive savers and let them know the size of your drive.
March 7, 2007 2:02:15 PM

It's dead and gone.

It's possible it's just a controller failure, you could try getting another of the same model and swapping the controller board over - but you're most likely needing to go to the pros, I'm afraid!
a b G Storage
March 7, 2007 2:12:20 PM

swamping the controller board is not easy, and there is risk damaging the magnetic platters.

Besides, it could be dust, erosion, arm failure, .... the key it: if its worth paying $2000 to retrieve the data, it probably is not worth experimenting with the drive and loosing all the data.... though really it just makes data retrieval more expensive.
March 8, 2007 3:59:55 AM

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it. I sure learned to backup data the hard way.