RIS not working after upgrade to Windows 2003

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 17, 2004 9:44:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

Hello,

I have a Windows 2003 server which is an upgrade from a Windows 2000 server.
This server is the primary server in the organization, and is the only
server with domain roles. This server runs the DHCP server, as well as RIS.
After upgrading the server, the RIS server is not working. The DHCP server
is authorized, and I've run risetup -check. In ADSIEdit, the information for
the DHCP servers (in NetServices) appears to be correct, as does the
information in the RIS container.

When the client start, I see the F12 message (network service boot). After
pressing F12, I get a header (Intel PXE-2.0, copyright, etc). The DHCP
message with the MAC address appears, and then the spinning line and ...
sequence. After about 90 second, it stops with the error PXE-E53: No Boot
Filename Received.

The system is assigned an IP address correctly, check in the DHCP lease
table. RIS is set up to respond to unknown clients, and the server has been
verified. I've reset the security on the RemoteInstall folder to make sure
SYSTEM and administrators have the correct permissions. I've removed all the
images from RIS, and installed a clean image using the wizard.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to
get RIS working?

Thanks,
Erick
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 2:05:03 PM

Is your server multi-homed? If so, authorize the dhcp server by using the
dhcp mmc and re-authorize by ip address rather than by name.

Do any clients work? Try other clients.

Have you altered the dhcp protocol options when the server was 2k? You
might have followed this article... I would reverse those entries.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259670

If the server won't service *any* clients, your startrom.com might be
corrupted. Rename the files in \\server\REMINST\OSChooser\i386 and
reinstall RIS.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE (2k, 2003)

"Erick Thompson"
> Hello,
>
> I have a Windows 2003 server which is an upgrade from a Windows 2000
> server.
> This server is the primary server in the organization, and is the only
> server with domain roles. This server runs the DHCP server, as well as
> RIS.
> After upgrading the server, the RIS server is not working. The DHCP server
> is authorized, and I've run risetup -check. In ADSIEdit, the information
> for
> the DHCP servers (in NetServices) appears to be correct, as does the
> information in the RIS container.
>
> When the client start, I see the F12 message (network service boot). After
> pressing F12, I get a header (Intel PXE-2.0, copyright, etc). The DHCP
> message with the MAC address appears, and then the spinning line and ...
> sequence. After about 90 second, it stops with the error PXE-E53: No Boot
> Filename Received.
>
> The system is assigned an IP address correctly, check in the DHCP lease
> table. RIS is set up to respond to unknown clients, and the server has
> been
> verified. I've reset the security on the RemoteInstall folder to make sure
> SYSTEM and administrators have the correct permissions. I've removed all
> the
> images from RIS, and installed a clean image using the wizard.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on how
> get RIS working?
>
> Thanks,
> Erick

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:26:54 PM

The server isn't multihomed physically, but it does have addresses on two
subnets. I've authorized the DHCP server for all IP addresses, which I
checked in Active Directory. When the server was running Win2k, I didn't
make any changes. To be sure it's not a DHCP issue, I uninstalled DHCP and
started from scratch (except for importing in old reservations).

startrom.com does seem to be working, as the F12 notice does come up. I'm
wondering if it's a communication issue as well, as it seems like everything
indicates that it should be working.

Thanks,
Erick

"NIC Student" <nospam@nospam.land> wrote in message
> Is your server multi-homed? If so, authorize the dhcp server by using the
> dhcp mmc and re-authorize by ip address rather than by name.
>
> Do any clients work? Try other clients.
>
> Have you altered the dhcp protocol options when the server was 2k? You
> might have followed this article... I would reverse those entries.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259670
>
> If the server won't service *any* clients, your startrom.com might be
> corrupted. Rename the files in \\server\REMINST\OSChooser\i386 and
> reinstall RIS.
>
> --
> Scott Baldridge
> Windows Server MVP, MCSE (2k, 2003)
>
> "Erick Thompson"
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a Windows 2003 server which is an upgrade from a Windows 2000
> > server.
> > This server is the primary server in the organization, and is the only
> > server with domain roles. This server runs the DHCP server, as well as
> > RIS.
> > After upgrading the server, the RIS server is not working. The DHCP
server
> > is authorized, and I've run risetup -check. In ADSIEdit, the information
> > for
> > the DHCP servers (in NetServices) appears to be correct, as does the
> > information in the RIS container.
> >
> > When the client start, I see the F12 message (network service boot).
After
> > pressing F12, I get a header (Intel PXE-2.0, copyright, etc). The DHCP
> > message with the MAC address appears, and then the spinning line and ...
> > sequence. After about 90 second, it stops with the error PXE-E53: No
Boot
> > Filename Received.
> >
> > The system is assigned an IP address correctly, check in the DHCP lease
> > table. RIS is set up to respond to unknown clients, and the server has
> > been
> > verified. I've reset the security on the RemoteInstall folder to make
sure
> > SYSTEM and administrators have the correct permissions. I've removed all
> > the
> > images from RIS, and installed a clean image using the wizard.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on
how
> > get RIS working?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Erick

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:38:35 PM

Erick,

Hmm, a tricky one. I still wonder about the multiple ip addresses and the
communications/network problems that may be occuring. If I were you, I'd
remove all ip's except one. Reboot and reauthorize by ip and test that one.

Take a look at this article and especially look at the tinyurl url that
takes you to a good RIS troubleshooting article that is still valid for
2003.

"No Reply from a Server" Error Message When Your PXE Client Computer Starts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329839

http://tinyurl.com/3vx5q

--
Scott Baldridge