Should I upgrade from 6600GT to X1950pro? or change CPU?

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Hello,

My computer specs is

AMD Althon 64 3000+ 1.8ghz
1GB DDR400 ram
Nvidia 6600GT 128mb

I am planning to upgrade either the CPU or graphic card.

It seems that X1950pro is around $150-170. Should I upgrade my graphic card or I should focus on upgrading my CPU to AMD althon 64 X2 4200-4400?

I tried supreme commander on my computer using Vista and its lagging as hell, I have to put everything to low to get the game running smooth.

Which upgrade should I do to get very frame rate? AMD althon 64 x4200 or x1950pro? I don't have budget to get both, so please don't ask me to buy both.

Thanks

cottonball

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I think you'll see more performance if you update that graphics card. Now granit it wont run to it's full potential with that 3000 in there but I think you will see a bigger improvement in the game with a new card as you would with a new processor.

Bennytron

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Hi there, I agree with Cottonball the 1950pro would be a much better use of your money. But also consider how little you can get an oem socket 939 chip can cost, you might find wou could get both, an AMD 3700+ would be a big jump up not just for the clockspeed but more importantly for the increase in cache.
Best of luck

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Wow I cant believe you guys are saying this, CPU may not matter much for FPS's, but for supreme commander?

If you got a dual core you would see a big jump in performance, SC scales with the number of cores you have, and it runs very poorly on one core.

Even though I agree that a X1950pro would be a huge jump from the 6600gt, you'd still be chugging in SC due to your 3000 holding you back.

cleeve

Illustrious
Ouch... I missed the Supreme Commander part.

That game is brutal. If you're serious about it, I think a dual-core CPU AND videocard are in order... I don't think either upgrade is going to make that game playable.

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
That doesn't change the fact that you claim a CPU upgrade will give no performance upgrade at all. SC doesn't have the most amazing graphics I have ever seen, but the number of units that can end up in a game is huge. With that many units you get a lot of AI being processed, and the CPU will be a lot more vital. For a lot of people they cant play a long game with a single core cpu because as more and mroe things are built the game becomes more and more unplayable. I can't agree with you, I think the 3000 would hold him back more. My brother has a laptop with a mobility 1600 in it and a core duo 2.17 cpu, and he can play it perfectly fine.

cleeve

Illustrious
I believe I already said: I missed the Supreme Commander part.
My CPU comment was before that, wasn't it?

I can't think if any other games where the CPU would help more than the graphics card, but Supreme Commander doesn't like single cores.

Still, I don't know if I'd go investing in a new A64 CPU for an AGP platform at this point. I'd definitely price out a cheap core2 system: an e4300, some DDR2 and a cheap 7600 GT.

If you can get a bit of cash for your old mobo, CPU, memory and video card it might be your best bet... especially if you're into overclocking, the e4300's are great.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I'd go with a dual-core processor. I can run SC fine on my computer...granted, the eye candy isn't cranked all the way up, but it's at a decent level, and it looks good.

gloppppp

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Hello,

My computer specs is

AMD Althon 64 3000+ 1.8ghz
1GB DDR400 ram
Nvidia 6600GT 128mb

I am planning to upgrade either the CPU or graphic card.

It seems that X1950pro is around $150-170. Should I upgrade my graphic card or I should focus on upgrading my CPU to AMD althon 64 X2 4200-4400?

I tried supreme commander on my computer using Vista and its lagging as hell, I have to put everything to low to get the game running smooth.

Which upgrade should I do to get very frame rate? AMD althon 64 x4200 or x1950pro? I don't have budget to get both, so please don't ask me to buy both.

Thanks
:arrow: Vista?

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I use Vista as windows.

C & C 3 Tiberium wars runs at Medium-high Very smoothly. The object details is HIGH, I think only those water effect and terrain is medium. The graphic is very pretty too.

I am guessing the Supreme commander use CPU more and doesn't require a very good graphic card. Just like Final Fantasy XI online, which mostly depend on CPU only, EXTREME good graphic card only improve a little bit of frame rate.

I guess I will go for Graphic cards since most of the games make use of graphic card instead of CPU. I think you guys agree on that too, except Final Fantasy XI and supreme commander which require CPU more and depend less on graphic card.