  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 21, 2004 1:52:10 PM

Anyone tell me how?

Thanks!
Shawn

More about : connect win2x dos

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 4:53:50 PM

NetBEUI & MS Network Client for MS-DOS. No go for joining a domain.

John

43fan wrote:
> Anyone tell me how?
>
> Thanks!
> Shawn

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 6:40:17 PM

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
news:o OsCYX45EHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> NetBEUI & MS Network Client for MS-DOS. No go for joining a domain.

That "could" be a problem. I'm definitely not a Win2k server expert(hardly
a novice!). If there's a domain set up, would any connections have to be
through the domain?

> John
>
> 43fan wrote:
> > Anyone tell me how?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Shawn

December 21, 2004 8:13:36 PM

I'm going to have to look that up. I think you could use TCP/IP or IPX
but I'm not sure about the client to use with these. One thing to
remember is that these network clients use an awfull lot of memory, the
workstation might be almost completely crippled for other software just
to be on the network. Does the WS really need to be DOS? We're talking
about 1980's, early 90's stuff here, theres a bit of haze upstairs. :-)

John

43fan wrote:

> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> news:o OsCYX45EHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
>>NetBEUI & MS Network Client for MS-DOS. No go for joining a domain.
>

> That "could" be a problem. I'm definitely not a Win2k server expert(hardly
> a novice!). If there's a domain set up, would any connections have to be
> through the domain?
>

>>John
>>
>>43fan wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone tell me how?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>Shawn

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 11:10:39 AM

Get a network boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.

"43fan" <sleap@pennswoods.net> wrote in message
> Anyone tell me how?
>
> Thanks!
> Shawn

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 1:35:59 PM

John,

Unfortunately, one of the stations absolutely has to be DOS. And yeah, I
know how ancient we're talking here. *g* Unfortunately for me, that's my
timeframe. *laffin*

Right now, I have three workstations that are running DOS, and these three
connect to our Novell server(3.12, yep, ancient too!*g*) of course with no
problem. Two of those, I could put '98 on and the DOS programs will run
fine within a window. The third however is used to download data from data
collection devices, that unfortunately the software will ONLY run in
straight DOS. Or at least I've been unable to get it to run in a window
under either '98 or 2000.

> I'm going to have to look that up. I think you could use TCP/IP or IPX
> but I'm not sure about the client to use with these. One thing to
> remember is that these network clients use an awfull lot of memory, the
> workstation might be almost completely crippled for other software just
> to be on the network. Does the WS really need to be DOS? We're talking
> about 1980's, early 90's stuff here, theres a bit of haze upstairs. :-)
>
> John
>
> 43fan wrote:
>
> > "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> > news:o OsCYX45EHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> >>NetBEUI & MS Network Client for MS-DOS. No go for joining a domain.
> >

> > That "could" be a problem. I'm definitely not a Win2k server
expert(hardly
> > a novice!). If there's a domain set up, would any connections have to
be
> > through the domain?
> >

> >>John

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 4:46:28 PM

Ah, that ol' Novell. I had one of these, v2.12. I decommissioned it
about 5 or 6 years ago. It was the cat's meow, ran like a charm.

Talking about Server 2003, when it first came out the word from MS was
that it would not accept W9x clients, NT4 SP4 was the minimum needed.
Then MS said that it would work with DNS patch, my understanding is that
it works but with security compromises. AS for DOS I read in some
places that it will not work and in others that it will.

Try one of these Network Boot Disks that Pegasus suggested. My
information as to whether or not that will work on the newer Server
versions is contradictory to say the least. But if Pegasus says it
works then it works. As for the WS that you say could run on W9x
chances are that these could also run on NT4, you'd be surprised at what
DOS programs NT4 can run in its emulated DOS. If NT4 can be used I
would opt for that instead of 9x, it's way more stable and natively more
compatible with Server 2003. But then NT4 has other limitations, so no
simple answer to that I guess.

John

43fan wrote:
> John,
>
> Unfortunately, one of the stations absolutely has to be DOS. And yeah, I
> know how ancient we're talking here. *g* Unfortunately for me, that's my
> timeframe. *laffin*
>
> Right now, I have three workstations that are running DOS, and these three
> connect to our Novell server(3.12, yep, ancient too!*g*) of course with no
> problem. Two of those, I could put '98 on and the DOS programs will run
> fine within a window. The third however is used to download data from data
> collection devices, that unfortunately the software will ONLY run in
> straight DOS. Or at least I've been unable to get it to run in a window
> under either '98 or 2000.
>
> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>
>>I'm going to have to look that up. I think you could use TCP/IP or IPX
>>but I'm not sure about the client to use with these. One thing to
>>remember is that these network clients use an awfull lot of memory, the
>>workstation might be almost completely crippled for other software just
>>to be on the network. Does the WS really need to be DOS? We're talking
>>about 1980's, early 90's stuff here, theres a bit of haze upstairs. :-)
>>
>>John
>>
>>43fan wrote:
>>

>>>"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>>>news:o OsCYX45EHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

>>>That "could" be a problem. I'm definitely not a Win2k server
>
> expert(hardly
>
>>>a novice!). If there's a domain set up, would any connections have to
>
> be
>
>>>through the domain?

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 10:11:02 PM

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:52:10 -0500, "43fan" <sleap@pennswoods.net>
wrote:

>Anyone tell me how?

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk
http://home.no.net/helgeww/bootdisk
http://www.bootdisk.com

They are mostly focused on getting it all onto one single floppy disk.
If you have a hard disk available, it just makes it easier:

Simply download these:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/clients/msclient/dsk3-1....
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/clients/msclient/dsk3-2....

and an NDIS2 driver for your network card, and you should be able to
figure out the rest.

--
Change yes to no if you want to email me.
!