Connect to Win2x from DOS?

Anyone tell me how?

Thanks!
Shawn
7
answers
Last reply
More about connect win2x

    NetBEUI & MS Network Client for MS-DOS. No go for joining a domain.

    John

    "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > NetBEUI & MS Network Client for MS-DOS. No go for joining a domain.

    That "could" be a problem. I'm definitely not a Win2k server expert(hardly
    a novice!). If there's a domain set up, would any connections have to be
    through the domain?

    > John
    >
    > 43fan wrote:
    > > Anyone tell me how?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Shawn

    I'm going to have to look that up. I think you could use TCP/IP or IPX
    but I'm not sure about the client to use with these. One thing to
    remember is that these network clients use an awfull lot of memory, the
    workstation might be almost completely crippled for other software just
    to be on the network. Does the WS really need to be DOS? We're talking
    about 1980's, early 90's stuff here, theres a bit of haze upstairs. :-)

    John

    Get a network boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.

    "43fan" <sleap@pennswoods.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone tell me how?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Shawn

    John,

    Unfortunately, one of the stations absolutely has to be DOS. And yeah, I
    know how ancient we're talking here. *g* Unfortunately for me, that's my
    timeframe. *laffin*

    Right now, I have three workstations that are running DOS, and these three
    connect to our Novell server(3.12, yep, ancient too!*g*) of course with no
    problem. Two of those, I could put '98 on and the DOS programs will run
    fine within a window. The third however is used to download data from data
    collection devices, that unfortunately the software will ONLY run in
    straight DOS. Or at least I've been unable to get it to run in a window
    under either '98 or 2000.

    > I'm going to have to look that up. I think you could use TCP/IP or IPX
    > but I'm not sure about the client to use with these. One thing to
    > remember is that these network clients use an awfull lot of memory, the
    > workstation might be almost completely crippled for other software just
    > to be on the network. Does the WS really need to be DOS? We're talking
    > about 1980's, early 90's stuff here, theres a bit of haze upstairs. :-)
    >
    > John
    >
    > 43fan wrote:
    >
    > > "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>NetBEUI & MS Network Client for MS-DOS. No go for joining a domain.
    > >

    > > That "could" be a problem. I'm definitely not a Win2k server
    expert(hardly
    > > a novice!). If there's a domain set up, would any connections have to
    be
    > > through the domain?
    > >

    > >>John

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Ah, that ol' Novell. I had one of these, v2.12. I decommissioned it
    about 5 or 6 years ago. It was the cat's meow, ran like a charm.

    Talking about Server 2003, when it first came out the word from MS was
    that it would not accept W9x clients, NT4 SP4 was the minimum needed.
    Then MS said that it would work with DNS patch, my understanding is that
    it works but with security compromises. AS for DOS I read in some
    places that it will not work and in others that it will.

    Try one of these Network Boot Disks that Pegasus suggested. My
    information as to whether or not that will work on the newer Server
    versions is contradictory to say the least. But if Pegasus says it
    works then it works. As for the WS that you say could run on W9x
    chances are that these could also run on NT4, you'd be surprised at what
    DOS programs NT4 can run in its emulated DOS. If NT4 can be used I
    would opt for that instead of 9x, it's way more stable and natively more
    compatible with Server 2003. But then NT4 has other limitations, so no
    simple answer to that I guess.

    John

    43fan wrote:
    > John,
    >
    > Unfortunately, one of the stations absolutely has to be DOS. And yeah, I
    > know how ancient we're talking here. *g* Unfortunately for me, that's my
    > timeframe. *laffin*
    >
    > Right now, I have three workstations that are running DOS, and these three
    > connect to our Novell server(3.12, yep, ancient too!*g*) of course with no
    > problem. Two of those, I could put '98 on and the DOS programs will run
    > fine within a window. The third however is used to download data from data
    > collection devices, that unfortunately the software will ONLY run in
    > straight DOS. Or at least I've been unable to get it to run in a window
    > under either '98 or 2000.
    >
    > "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm going to have to look that up. I think you could use TCP/IP or IPX
    >>but I'm not sure about the client to use with these. One thing to
    >>remember is that these network clients use an awfull lot of memory, the
    >>workstation might be almost completely crippled for other software just
    >>to be on the network. Does the WS really need to be DOS? We're talking
    >>about 1980's, early 90's stuff here, theres a bit of haze upstairs. :-)
    >>
    >>John
    >>
    >>43fan wrote:
    >>

    >>>"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

    >>>That "could" be a problem. I'm definitely not a Win2k server
    >
    > expert(hardly
    >
    >>>a novice!). If there's a domain set up, would any connections have to
    >
    > be
    >
    >>>through the domain?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:52:10 -0500, "43fan" <sleap@pennswoods.net>
    wrote:

    >Anyone tell me how?

    Here are a couple of links:

    http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk
    http://home.no.net/helgeww/bootdisk
    http://www.bootdisk.com

    They are mostly focused on getting it all onto one single floppy disk.
    If you have a hard disk available, it just makes it easier:

    Simply download these:

    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/clients/msclient/dsk3-1.exe
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/clients/msclient/dsk3-2.exe

    and an NDIS2 driver for your network card, and you should be able to
    figure out the rest.

    --
    Change yes to no if you want to email me.

DOS Connection Microsoft Windows