Difference between Domain Name erver and Workgroup

Hello,

I will install windows 2000 server on my company, but one of the things that
I would like to know is what's the difference between the domain name server
and a workgroup, because windows always ask this when the installation
finishes.

Thank you in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about difference domain erver workgroup

    David wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I will install windows 2000 server on my company, but one of the
    > things that I would like to know is what's the difference between the
    > domain name server and a workgroup, because windows always ask this
    > when the installation finishes.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    I think you mean the difference between a *domain* and a workgroup....not a
    domain name server (DNS).

    http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa061399.htm may help (although it's
    about NT4, not Win2k/Active Directory).

    I suggest you get some good Windows server books & figure out what your
    needs & options are before proceeding.

    A workgroup and a domain are basically networked computers, with the main
    difference being that a domain provides a centralized directory database.

    Workgroup
    =========
    Advantages:
    - Does not need a Windows 2000/2003 Server
    - Simple to design and implement. No extensive planning and administration
    that a domain requires.
    - Great for a limited number of computers (usually no more than 10
    computers) in close proximity.

    Disadvantages:
    - A user needs a user account on each computer that he/she requires access.
    - Changes to user accounts, such as changing a user's password or adding a
    new user account, must be made on each computer in the workgroup.
    - Device and file sharing is handled by individual computers, and only for
    the users that have accounts on each individual computer.

    Domain
    =======
    Advantages:
    - Centralized administration. Change to a user account is automatically
    replicated throughout the domain.
    - Single logon process for users to gain access to network resources, such
    as file, print, and application resources for which they have permissions.
    - Provides scalability to create large networks.

    Disadvantages:
    - Need a 2000/2003 Server.
    - More complex in design and implementation.

    Reference:
    MCSE Training Kit: Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory Services
    ***
    Terrence Tan [MSFT]
    Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

    "What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the well
    or the bell or the stone walls or the crisp October nights...No, our love
    for this place is based upon the fact that it is as it was meant to be
    The University of the People." (Charles Kuralt)

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This
    posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The views and
    opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do not
    necessarily express or reflect the views and/or opinions of Microsoft.
    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=" <David@discussions.microsoft.com>
    <Subject: Difference between Domain Name erver and Workgroup
    <Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:49:03 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup
    <
    <Hello,
    <
    <I will install windows 2000 server on my company, but one of the things
    that
    <I would like to know is what's the difference between the domain name
    server
    <and a workgroup, because windows always ask this when the installation
    <finishes.
    <
    <Thank you in advance.
    <

Windows 2000 Domain Name Servers Windows