XP CD burning has screwed me all up!

I tried to use the XP built in CD burning, it worked in that it did indeed
create a CD, but I can't delete the temporary shortcut files that it has
listed under "Files ready to be written to the CD"

I have tried the "delete temorary files" option, it tells me that the files
are locked by another user or process. This has basically halted all my
work because I can't modify the files any longer! I can't tell what has
them locked.

I have rebooted, that made no difference.
I have disabled firewall stuff and anti virus stuff, no difference.

What else can I do? How do I get rid of these things??

Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited,
Thanks!

Steve
8 answers Last reply
More about burning screwed

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:11:20 -0800, "sklett" <asd2@fkd.com> wrote:
    >I tried to use the XP built in CD burning, it worked in that it did indeed
    >create a CD, but I can't delete the temporary shortcut files that it has
    >listed under "Files ready to be written to the CD"

    Bookmark this site, and use to search for all Windows messages
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/search.aspx?st=b&View=en-us

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Here are a couple of suggestions. I don't know if either will work but you
    can give them a try.
    Firstly XP's CD Burning cache is located here C:\Documents and
    Settings\<logon user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    <logon user> = your logon user name. Because the "Local Settings" and
    "Application Data" directories are hidden directories you will also need to
    enable "Show all files and folders". So right click the Start button and
    select "Explore". In the top menu bar select "Tools"->"Options"->"Views Tab"
    and select the option to "Show all files and folder". Then click Apply and
    OK out.

    Navigate through Explorer to the location of the CD Burning directory and
    see if you can delete the offending files. If it doesn't work then try doing
    so by booting into Safe Mode.

    If the above doesn't seem to work then try this little freeware app
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "sklett" <asd2@fkd.com> wrote in message
    > I tried to use the XP built in CD burning, it worked in that it did indeed
    > create a CD, but I can't delete the temporary shortcut files that it has
    > listed under "Files ready to be written to the CD"
    >
    > I have tried the "delete temorary files" option, it tells me that the
    files
    > are locked by another user or process. This has basically halted all my
    > work because I can't modify the files any longer! I can't tell what has
    > them locked.
    >
    > I have rebooted, that made no difference.
    > I have disabled firewall stuff and anti virus stuff, no difference.
    >
    > What else can I do? How do I get rid of these things??
    >
    > Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited,
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks for the reply!

    I checked the path that you specified and did not find the "CD Burning"
    directory. I also did a search of the entire drive and didn't find it. I
    have verified that the "viewing options" are set as you indicated.

    So I didn't get a chance to delete them cause I can't find them. Have you
    ever heard of someone not having this folder?

    > Here are a couple of suggestions. I don't know if either will work but you
    > can give them a try.
    > Firstly XP's CD Burning cache is located here C:\Documents and
    > Settings\<logon user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    > <logon user> = your logon user name. Because the "Local Settings" and
    > "Application Data" directories are hidden directories you will also need
    > enable "Show all files and folders". So right click the Start button and
    > select "Explore". In the top menu bar select "Tools"->"Options"->"Views
    > Tab"
    > and select the option to "Show all files and folder". Then click Apply and
    > OK out.
    >
    > Navigate through Explorer to the location of the CD Burning directory and
    > see if you can delete the offending files. If it doesn't work then try
    > doing
    > so by booting into Safe Mode.
    >
    > If the above doesn't seem to work then try this little freeware app
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "sklett" <asd2@fkd.com> wrote in message
    >> I tried to use the XP built in CD burning, it worked in that it did
    >> indeed
    >> create a CD, but I can't delete the temporary shortcut files that it has
    >> listed under "Files ready to be written to the CD"
    >>
    >> I have tried the "delete temorary files" option, it tells me that the
    > files
    >> are locked by another user or process. This has basically halted all my
    >> work because I can't modify the files any longer! I can't tell what has
    >> them locked.
    >>
    >> I have rebooted, that made no difference.
    >> I have disabled firewall stuff and anti virus stuff, no difference.
    >>
    >> What else can I do? How do I get rid of these things??
    >>
    >> Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited,
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve

    Thanks, but this doesn't help me. I have done extensive searching for this
    problem and have not been able to find a solution. My most detailed search
    was this:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22ready+to+be+written+to+the+CD%22+%22delete+temporary+files%22+%22used+by+another+person%22&btnG=Search

    sounds like that guy has the same problem as I do, but the suggestions he
    received didn't pan out.

    "John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:11:20 -0800, "sklett" <asd2@fkd.com> wrote:
    >>I tried to use the XP built in CD burning, it worked in that it did indeed
    >>create a CD, but I can't delete the temporary shortcut files that it has
    >>listed under "Files ready to be written to the CD"
    >
    > Bookmark this site, and use to search for all Windows messages
    > http://search.microsoft.com/search/search.aspx?st=b&View=en-us
    >

    > John Thomas Smith
    > http://www.direct2usales.com
    > http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    weird, I just tried this on another machine, and although I can delete the
    temp files no problem, I can't find the CD Burning folder on that machine
    either??

    > Here are a couple of suggestions. I don't know if either will work but you
    > can give them a try.
    > Firstly XP's CD Burning cache is located here C:\Documents and
    > Settings\<logon user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    > <logon user> = your logon user name. Because the "Local Settings" and
    > "Application Data" directories are hidden directories you will also need
    > enable "Show all files and folders". So right click the Start button and
    > select "Explore". In the top menu bar select "Tools"->"Options"->"Views
    > Tab"
    > and select the option to "Show all files and folder". Then click Apply and
    > OK out.
    >
    > Navigate through Explorer to the location of the CD Burning directory and
    > see if you can delete the offending files. If it doesn't work then try
    > doing
    > so by booting into Safe Mode.
    >
    > If the above doesn't seem to work then try this little freeware app
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "sklett" <asd2@fkd.com> wrote in message
    >> I tried to use the XP built in CD burning, it worked in that it did
    >> indeed
    >> create a CD, but I can't delete the temporary shortcut files that it has
    >> listed under "Files ready to be written to the CD"
    >>
    >> I have tried the "delete temorary files" option, it tells me that the
    > files
    >> are locked by another user or process. This has basically halted all my
    >> work because I can't modify the files any longer! I can't tell what has
    >> them locked.
    >>
    >> I have rebooted, that made no difference.
    >> I have disabled firewall stuff and anti virus stuff, no difference.
    >>
    >> What else can I do? How do I get rid of these things??
    >>
    >> Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited,
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve

    Just checking here but are you certain you've enabled the "Show hidden files
    and folders" in the Tools->Folder options->Views Tab? If not you won't be
    able to find the hidden CD Burning directory.

    Do you know if any third party CD burning software has been installed and
    perhaps removed? Some programs will disable XP's burning capabilities during
    their installation. Right click the CD Writer drive icon and select
    Properties->Recording Tab. Is the box that enables recording on this device
    checked? Another thing to try to System File Checker. This will search for
    and restore corrupt or missing system files. Pop the XP CD into the drive
    and exit the install screen. Go to Start->Run and type SFC /SCANNOW then
    click OK. Let System File Checker to it's thing. Unfortunately it won't tell
    you what it found and fixed but when finished remove the XP CD and reboot.
    See if that helps.

    --

    > Thanks for the reply!
    >
    > I checked the path that you specified and did not find the "CD Burning"
    > directory. I also did a search of the entire drive and didn't find it. I
    > have verified that the "viewing options" are set as you indicated.
    >
    > So I didn't get a chance to delete them cause I can't find them. Have you
    > ever heard of someone not having this folder?
    >

    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    > > Here are a couple of suggestions. I don't know if either will work but
    you
    > > can give them a try.
    > > Firstly XP's CD Burning cache is located here C:\Documents and
    > > Settings\<logon user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD
    Burning
    > > <logon user> = your logon user name. Because the "Local Settings" and
    > > "Application Data" directories are hidden directories you will also need
    > > enable "Show all files and folders". So right click the Start button and

    > > select "Explore". In the top menu bar select "Tools"->"Options"->"Views
    > > Tab"
    > > and select the option to "Show all files and folder". Then click Apply
    and
    > > OK out.
    > >
    > > Navigate through Explorer to the location of the CD Burning directory
    and
    > > see if you can delete the offending files. If it doesn't work then try
    > > doing
    > > so by booting into Safe Mode.
    > >
    > > If the above doesn't seem to work then try this little freeware app
    > > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > "sklett" <asd2@fkd.com> wrote in message
    > >> I tried to use the XP built in CD burning, it worked in that it did
    > >> indeed
    > >> create a CD, but I can't delete the temporary shortcut files that it
    has
    > >> listed under "Files ready to be written to the CD"
    > >>
    > >> I have tried the "delete temorary files" option, it tells me that the
    > > files
    > >> are locked by another user or process. This has basically halted all
    my
    > >> work because I can't modify the files any longer! I can't tell what
    has
    > >> them locked.
    > >>
    > >> I have rebooted, that made no difference.
    > >> I have disabled firewall stuff and anti virus stuff, no difference.
    > >>
    > >> What else can I do? How do I get rid of these things??
    > >>
    > >> Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited,
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>
    > >> Steve

    Because it is HIDDEN, by default. YOU have to make Windows Explorer "show
    all files", as Harry Ohrn has told you. He asked you if you did. You didn't
    answer him.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > weird, I just tried this on another machine, and although I can delete the
    > temp files no problem, I can't find the CD Burning folder on that machine
    > either??
    >

    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> Here are a couple of suggestions. I don't know if either will work but
    >> you
    >> can give them a try.
    >> Firstly XP's CD Burning cache is located here C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\<logon user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD
    >> Burning
    >> <logon user> = your logon user name. Because the "Local Settings" and
    >> "Application Data" directories are hidden directories you will also need
    >> enable "Show all files and folders". So right click the Start button and
    >> select "Explore". In the top menu bar select "Tools"->"Options"->"Views
    >> Tab"
    >> and select the option to "Show all files and folder". Then click Apply
    >> and
    >> OK out.
    >>
    >> Navigate through Explorer to the location of the CD Burning directory and
    >> see if you can delete the offending files. If it doesn't work then try
    >> doing
    >> so by booting into Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> If the above doesn't seem to work then try this little freeware app
    >> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "sklett" <asd2@fkd.com> wrote in message
    >>> I tried to use the XP built in CD burning, it worked in that it did
    >>> indeed
    >>> create a CD, but I can't delete the temporary shortcut files that it has
    >>> listed under "Files ready to be written to the CD"
    >>>
    >>> I have tried the "delete temorary files" option, it tells me that the
    >> files
    >>> are locked by another user or process. This has basically halted all my
    >>> work because I can't modify the files any longer! I can't tell what has
    >>> them locked.
    >>>
    >>> I have rebooted, that made no difference.
    >>> I have disabled firewall stuff and anti virus stuff, no difference.
    >>>
    >>> What else can I do? How do I get rid of these things??
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited,
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn after C:\Documents and
    Settings\<logon user>\? once there you will see "Application Data" and
    "Local Settings." You want "Local Settings," as Harry Ohrn specified, not
    "Application Data." Inside "Local Settings" you should find another
    "Application Data" folder, inside that, "Microsoft," and inside "Microsoft,"
    "CD Burning."

    "sklett" wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply!
    >
    > I checked the path that you specified and did not find the "CD Burning"
    > directory. I also did a search of the entire drive and didn't find it. I
    > have verified that the "viewing options" are set as you indicated.
    >
    > So I didn't get a chance to delete them cause I can't find them. Have you
    > ever heard of someone not having this folder?
    >

    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    > > Here are a couple of suggestions. I don't know if either will work but you
    > > can give them a try.
    > > Firstly XP's CD Burning cache is located here C:\Documents and
    > > Settings\<logon user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    > > <logon user> = your logon user name. Because the "Local Settings" and
    > > "Application Data" directories are hidden directories you will also need
    > > enable "Show all files and folders". So right click the Start button and
    > > select "Explore". In the top menu bar select "Tools"->"Options"->"Views
    > > Tab"
    > > and select the option to "Show all files and folder". Then click Apply and
    > > OK out.
    > >
    > > Navigate through Explorer to the location of the CD Burning directory and
    > > see if you can delete the offending files. If it doesn't work then try
    > > doing
    > > so by booting into Safe Mode.
    > >
    > > If the above doesn't seem to work then try this little freeware app
    > > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp