Win98 startup error

sorry win98 group is not working, so I'm posting here.
I had a prefectly good system, then I install a new game (Tropico) and it
updated my version of DirectX (to v7 I think). The Pc was then rebooted and
never came back. Now I get "c:\windows\system\shlwapi.dll not found.
Problem starting explorer you must reinstall windows"
The PC does not start in safe mode (from the harddrive).
I have checked the register (scanreg) and no errors are found.
I tried to create a bootdisk in dos but got "The EBD directory does not
exist .... try again"
Is there anyway out, or do I have to reinstall windows. Is there a way of
not losing all my files.

Thanks
Mellie_man

"Mellie_man" <Mellie_man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sorry win98 group is not working, so I'm posting here.
> I had a prefectly good system, then I install a new game (Tropico) and it
> updated my version of DirectX (to v7 I think). The Pc was then rebooted
and
> never came back. Now I get "c:\windows\system\shlwapi.dll not found.
> Problem starting explorer you must reinstall windows"
> The PC does not start in safe mode (from the harddrive).
> I have checked the register (scanreg) and no errors are found.
> I tried to create a bootdisk in dos but got "The EBD directory does not
> exist .... try again"
> Is there anyway out, or do I have to reinstall windows. Is there a way of
> not losing all my files.
>
> Thanks
> Mellie_man

When your dentist is away on holiday, you're not likely to get
the most competent help from your local doctor for your tooth
cavity. Same here: the respondents in this group are experts
on Windows 2000, not on Windows 98.