Cloning a drive to upgrade a hard disc

I am having no luck getting anyone to tell me how to upgrade a hard drive on
a Portege from 12 gig to 30

Can I install the empty 30 gig drive into the portege, use the recovery disc
to install the OS, connect it to the Internet update the OS. Then put that
drive in another computer, put the 12 gig back into the Portege and copy all
files to the other computer?

Presumably all OS files which arent copyable because they are in use will
not be copied but all software, dat files, dll files WILL be copied and the
udated versions of all files will be on the 30 gig drive in any event? Is
this too easy or will I find that this doesnt work because the 12 gig
drive's registry wont end up on the 30 gig drive? Is there a way around this
given that I do emphatically NOT want to merely reinstall all the software
and do three years worth of forgotten configuration changes all over again
on the new drive?

Symantec says that there is no way of using Ghost unless I have enough empty
space on the computer to write a .gho file and then copy it somehow directly
or indirectly onto the new drive: which I cant because the whole reason I am
doing this exercise is because the old 12 gig drive is full. (or should I
copy lots of software, my documents and picture-file directories onto a DVD
until there is enouigh space on the and then Ghost the rest onto the drive
prior to copying it to another DVD, then try to restore most of the OS from
that gho file onto the 30 gig drive?
37 answers Last reply
More about cloning drive upgrade hard disc

    "Licensed to Quill" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    > I am having no luck getting anyone to tell me how to upgrade a hard drive
    on
    > a Portege from 12 gig to 30
    >
    > Can I install the empty 30 gig drive into the portege, use the recovery
    disc
    > to install the OS, connect it to the Internet update the OS. Then put that
    > drive in another computer, put the 12 gig back into the Portege and copy
    all
    > files to the other computer?
    >
    > Presumably all OS files which arent copyable because they are in use will
    > not be copied but all software, dat files, dll files WILL be copied and
    the
    > udated versions of all files will be on the 30 gig drive in any event? Is
    > this too easy or will I find that this doesnt work because the 12 gig
    > drive's registry wont end up on the 30 gig drive? Is there a way around
    this
    > given that I do emphatically NOT want to merely reinstall all the software
    > and do three years worth of forgotten configuration changes all over again
    > on the new drive?
    >
    > Symantec says that there is no way of using Ghost unless I have enough
    empty
    > space on the computer to write a .gho file and then copy it somehow
    directly
    > or indirectly onto the new drive: which I cant because the whole reason I
    am
    > doing this exercise is because the old 12 gig drive is full. (or should I
    > copy lots of software, my documents and picture-file directories onto a
    DVD
    > until there is enouigh space on the and then Ghost the rest onto the drive
    > prior to copying it to another DVD, then try to restore most of the OS
    from
    > that gho file onto the 30 gig drive?

    There are several ways to do this. Here are two of them:

    a) Using an imaging tool:
    - Split your hard disk with a partitioning program (e.g. Acronis).
    - Create an image file of your system partition. Store it on drive D:.
    - Save the image file on some networked PC.
    - Install the new disk.
    - Split it.
    - Use the recovery CD to load the OS.
    - Copy the image from the networked PC to drive D:.
    - Restore the image with your partitioning program.

    b) Using a desktop PC:
    - Buy a $10.00 adapter that lets you connect your laptop
    disk to a desktop PC.
    - Connect the laptop disk to a desktop PC as a slave disk.
    Ideally, the desktop PC should run Win2000/XP.
    - Use xcopy.exe with the appropriate switches to copy
    the old laptop disk to the desktop disk.
    - Use xcopy.exe with the appropriate switches to load
    the new laptop disk.
    - Install the new disk in the laptop.
    - Boot the laptop with your Win2000 CD into the Recovery Console
    and use the fixmbr and fixboot commands to make Win2000
    bootable.

    Hi Pegasus

    Are there any other ways of doing this? I said that I couldnt do the first
    because the drive on the first disc is full and I did try the second with
    curious results which I am not keen to replicate and which no one could
    explain

    I put the two drives in a 733MHz Pentium 111 desktop computer (not some old
    steamer with LBA problems) and booted off a DOS diskette (I also tried to
    get the system to see both discs by booting off a Partition Commander floppy
    and copy an entire drive that way)

    The desktop saw the 12 gig drive without a problem but wouldn't see the 30
    gig one at all, whatever I did in the BIOS. In fact it couldnt even identify
    the drive manufacturer. I then found that putting the laptop drive into the
    desktop had destroyed the 30 gig drive. I then had to replace it and it did
    the same thing again with the new drive.

    Neither drive was ever seen or even identified by any computer after
    insertion in the desktop. (I still have the adapters which didnt cost much)
    I am not keen on trying that expensive (if quick) course again. No one has
    the slightest idea what could possibly have happened beyond weakly
    suggesting that I might have put the laptop drives in upside down which I
    didnt.

    Which is why I was asking the question here

    You can make 12 GB image using desktop, then restore the image onto 30 GB
    laptop disk using Ghost over TCP/IP network. The same is true for Acronis
    and other products.

    > You can make 12 GB image using desktop, then restore the image onto 30 GB
    laptop disk using Ghost over TCP/IP network. The same is true for Acronis
    and other products.

    I think this opens up a whole can of worms: I have never managed to network
    my computers together however much I call the network by the same name,
    allow file sharing wherever it is needed, allow permissions, let myself do
    whatever I want behind my own firewall. Nothing ever gets seen by the other
    computers on the network (OR is seen on the 12 gig computer) and they ALL
    use the same wifi sharing connection

    I would LOVE to image the whole drive to a desktop somewhere but with 11.5
    gig of a 12 gig drive used up, I have painted myself into a corner on that
    one (unless someone has some suggestions I hadn't thought of: I was trying
    to copy innocuous directories to a DVD-R disc and delete them and image the
    rest using Ghost etc but posted here because I was wondering if there was
    likely to be an easier way; as I am using the same computer and in THEORY
    should be able to use the registry on the old drive on the new drive

    Next option is to borrow the USB enclosure.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > Hi Pegasus
    >
    > Are there any other ways of doing this? I said that I couldnt do the first
    > because the drive on the first disc is full and I did try the second with
    > curious results which I am not keen to replicate and which no one could
    > explain
    >
    > I put the two drives in a 733MHz Pentium 111 desktop computer (not some
    old
    > steamer with LBA problems) and booted off a DOS diskette (I also tried to
    > get the system to see both discs by booting off a Partition Commander
    floppy
    > and copy an entire drive that way)
    >
    > The desktop saw the 12 gig drive without a problem but wouldn't see the 30
    > gig one at all, whatever I did in the BIOS. In fact it couldnt even
    identify
    > the drive manufacturer. I then found that putting the laptop drive into
    the
    > desktop had destroyed the 30 gig drive. I then had to replace it and it
    did
    > the same thing again with the new drive.
    >
    > Neither drive was ever seen or even identified by any computer after
    > insertion in the desktop. (I still have the adapters which didnt cost
    much)
    > I am not keen on trying that expensive (if quick) course again. No one has
    > the slightest idea what could possibly have happened beyond weakly
    > suggesting that I might have put the laptop drives in upside down which I
    > didnt.
    >
    > Which is why I was asking the question here

    It is very easy to destroy a laptop disk when using the adapter
    I mentioned, by plugging in the cable back to front. This has the
    effect of applying the power supply wires to the wrong pins, with
    disastrous results.

    There are indeed other ways to clone a laptop disk to a new
    disk. The are safer but more laborious or more expensive.
    Here are a few more:

    a) Ask your friendly computer dealer to do it for you (if you
    can trust him!).
    b) Boot the machine with a Acronis recovery CD, then create
    an image on a networked PC.
    c) Boot the laptop with a Bart PE CD (www.bootdisk.com),
    then establish a network connection to some other PC
    and zip up drive C: to that other PC. To make a Bart PE
    CD, you need a CD burner and a load of a WinXP Professional
    CD (but no licence number!).
    d) Boot the laptop with a network boot disk (www.bootdisk.com),
    then use DriveImage or a similar product to create an image on
    a networked PC.

    Methods b) to d) all have their traps - they may or may not work
    with your laptop, depending on the network adapter you use.
    They also involve a fair amount of work. This is why it is important
    to manage disk space carefully so that never paint yourself into
    a corner.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Unfortunately against every one's advice I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator
    5: That never worked and now that I have installed it, none of my USB or
    SCSI storage drives work: I cant even use Sony Easy CD Creator to write to a
    CD any more

    Is there a third party uninstall program anywhere I can use to repair the
    damage done to a 2000 system by Easy CD Creator? Or is there a thread
    anywhere which recommends what to do once this catastrophic piece of
    software has trojaned itself onto a Windows 2000 system?

    "Jetro" <somewhere@internet.space> wrote in message
    > Next option is to borrow the USB enclosure.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Maybe these can help:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270008
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/ecddvdc/ee6000061.jhtml

    RegSeeker might prove helpful in removing Roxio registry keys:
    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    Use with caution, it's quite powerful!

    John

    Licensed to Quill wrote:
    > Unfortunately against every one's advice I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator
    > 5: That never worked and now that I have installed it, none of my USB or
    > SCSI storage drives work: I cant even use Sony Easy CD Creator to write to a
    > CD any more
    >
    > Is there a third party uninstall program anywhere I can use to repair the
    > damage done to a 2000 system by Easy CD Creator? Or is there a thread
    > anywhere which recommends what to do once this catastrophic piece of
    > software has trojaned itself onto a Windows 2000 system?
    >
    > "Jetro" <somewhere@internet.space> wrote in message
    >
    >>Next option is to borrow the USB enclosure.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Uhm, are you sure you still want to clone this installation? :o)
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > Uhm, are you sure you still want to clone this installation? :o)

    I still think it would be a nightmare trying to redo three years worth of
    software corrections, configurations, registry changes, software
    registration number entries, usage keys required by software companies which
    no longer exist, WINFAX records where their backup program has failed years
    ago (and I have to rely on hope alone that I can rebuild their logs with no
    backup) etc etc etc.

    I might have to do this eventually when I start realising that I no longer
    want to continue to use a three year old computer. And I suppose the
    arguments against are that the 3yrold can be retained for the use of these
    pieces of software alone but I wanted to cross that bridge when I come to
    it. (not that I am not already there with using a 650 MHx Portege when I
    also have a 1.4GHz Satellite here)

    I thought I could buy some more time with instaling a network and sharing
    files but despite a literally hugenumber of tries, I just cant get my
    network to share files between computers which all have file sharing turned
    on everywhere in sight, all have the same workgroup name and which share the
    same WiFi connection to the Internet
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Software hive and others as well as Winfax Data directory are plainly
    transferable.

    You can start new thread in ..win2000.networking group.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > Software hive

    Yes, but I have software with special security settings which mandate going
    to the manufacturer's site and downloading a special key every time I need
    to (re-)install the software. The manufacturer was transmuted into another
    company a year or so ago in some acrimonious litigation. So I doubt if the
    new owner of the company will honour all the old licenses. AND the old
    importer of the software who sold it to me originally no longer distributes
    it. (It is all a bit stupid as the software can only be used with a special
    piece of hardware which isn't otherwise available. It's not as if every one
    would be able to copy it and use it in any way)
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    Well the Zap Roxio file did something even though it says it only works with
    Easy CD Creator 6 and I am using 5. But when I did try to run it, they
    managed to fool me because immediately it asked me if I am trying to delete
    a version 4 or 5!!!

    Anyway, after I ran it, neither the USB drives nor the Iomega SCSI drives
    which did work before no longer work. This is becoming catastrophic?

    I did do a backup of the registry before installing Easy CD Creator just in
    case (I am not THAT stupid)

    I now have a 58 megabyte file in my My Documents folder called 25th
    December 2004 Registry.reg and wonder how I can replace the registry with
    the info in this working file? There isn't a scanreg /restore in Windows
    2000 is there?

    I tried doubleclicking on it and was asked if I wanted to ADD the data in it
    to the current registry which I am not entirley sure i do want to do, but i
    did and was after about 20 seconds told that I cant add all this info to the
    registry.

    Anyone know how to replace the obviously corrupted info in the present
    registry with the backup in this file?
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    How did you back up the registry? Anyhow, see if this can help:
    How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3B322755

    If you just exported the whole registry you most likely won't be able to
    just restore the whole whack just like that, the registry should have
    been backed up with the Backup utility. You might have to parse the
    registry file you created then try to restore selected hives or keys.
    The key that would be of concern is the hardware & Enum keys or this
    branch: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM. Maybe you can try restoring the
    whole HKLM hive so that you get rid of Roxio program entries at the same
    time. If you can't restore the whole hive then try parsing it. MAKE a
    working copy for parsing!

    Did you try: Disabling the problem devices, reboot to make sure the
    drivers are unloaded then delete (uninstall) the problem devices and
    reboot again and having Plug and Play reinstall the devices but with you
    pointing it to the proper drivers instead of Windows choosing the
    drivers? Or, if Plug & Pray installs Roxio drivers without asking try
    using the Add Hardware Wizard to install and point windows to the proper
    drivers?

    John

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > Well the Zap Roxio file did something even though it says it only works with
    > Easy CD Creator 6 and I am using 5. But when I did try to run it, they
    > managed to fool me because immediately it asked me if I am trying to delete
    > a version 4 or 5!!!
    >
    > Anyway, after I ran it, neither the USB drives nor the Iomega SCSI drives
    > which did work before no longer work. This is becoming catastrophic?
    >
    > I did do a backup of the registry before installing Easy CD Creator just in
    > case (I am not THAT stupid)
    >
    > I now have a 58 megabyte file in my My Documents folder called 25th
    > December 2004 Registry.reg and wonder how I can replace the registry with
    > the info in this working file? There isn't a scanreg /restore in Windows
    > 2000 is there?
    >
    > I tried doubleclicking on it and was asked if I wanted to ADD the data in it
    > to the current registry which I am not entirley sure i do want to do, but i
    > did and was after about 20 seconds told that I cant add all this info to the
    > registry.
    >
    > Anyone know how to replace the obviously corrupted info in the present
    > registry with the backup in this file?

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    PS: Do you have a repair folder and what is the date on the file
    system._ ? If it's not too old or if you are confident that no
    significant hardware changes were made after the date you might be best
    restoring that instead of trying to parse that huge .reg file you made,
    let us know.

    John

    John John wrote:

    > How did you back up the registry? Anyhow, see if this can help:
    > How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3B322755
    >
    > If you just exported the whole registry you most likely won't be able to
    > just restore the whole whack just like that, the registry should have
    > been backed up with the Backup utility. You might have to parse the
    > registry file you created then try to restore selected hives or keys.
    > The key that would be of concern is the hardware & Enum keys or this
    > branch: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM. Maybe you can try restoring the
    > whole HKLM hive so that you get rid of Roxio program entries at the same
    > time. If you can't restore the whole hive then try parsing it. MAKE a
    > working copy for parsing!
    >
    > Did you try: Disabling the problem devices, reboot to make sure the
    > drivers are unloaded then delete (uninstall) the problem devices and
    > reboot again and having Plug and Play reinstall the devices but with you
    > pointing it to the proper drivers instead of Windows choosing the
    > drivers? Or, if Plug & Pray installs Roxio drivers without asking try
    > using the Add Hardware Wizard to install and point windows to the proper
    > drivers?
    >
    > John
    >

    > Licensed to Quill wrote:
    >
    >> Well the Zap Roxio file did something even though it says it only
    >> works with
    >> Easy CD Creator 6 and I am using 5. But when I did try to run it, they
    >> managed to fool me because immediately it asked me if I am trying to
    >> delete
    >> a version 4 or 5!!!
    >>
    >> Anyway, after I ran it, neither the USB drives nor the Iomega SCSI drives
    >> which did work before no longer work. This is becoming catastrophic?
    >>
    >> I did do a backup of the registry before installing Easy CD Creator
    >> just in
    >> case (I am not THAT stupid)
    >>
    >> I now have a 58 megabyte file in my My Documents folder called 25th
    >> December 2004 Registry.reg and wonder how I can replace the registry with
    >> the info in this working file? There isn't a scanreg /restore in Windows
    >> 2000 is there?
    >>
    >> I tried doubleclicking on it and was asked if I wanted to ADD the data
    >> in it
    >> to the current registry which I am not entirley sure i do want to do,
    >> but i
    >> did and was after about 20 seconds told that I cant add all this info
    >> to the
    >> registry.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how to replace the obviously corrupted info in the present
    >> registry with the backup in this file?

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    John John wrote:
    > PS: Do you have a repair folder and what is the date on the file
    > system._ ? If it's not too old or if you are confident that no
    > significant hardware changes were made after the date you might be
    > best restoring that instead of trying to parse that huge .reg file
    > you made, let us know.
    >
    > John
    Your idea about disabling the offending entries was a good one except that
    when I rebooted the second time (after the uninstall), I received the error
    message that it couldn't install the device: It said "YOUR SERVICE DATABASE
    IS LOCKED" when it found the SCSI device. It then carried on and found the
    device again about twenty seconds later and said it was installing it and
    told me to reboot. But needless to say, that didn't assist the problem at
    all. Funny, though, when it is sniffing around to see what is there on
    startup before I even go into windows, the sniffing process doesnt even see
    the devices (Zip, Jaz and Coolscan on that chain) which usually blink a few
    times to show they are being detected.

    You are right about your implications: I am petrified about the prospect of
    parsing a whole registry or a whole section of the registry!! (even if I
    knew what it meant)
    I do have a repair folder along with a somewhat suspicious REGBACK folder
    with all sorts of up to 20 megabyte .dat files in it dated 27th December
    (which is unfortunately a few days AFTER the Roxio install). But maybe that
    is an access date? Interestingly the system file shows in PROPERTIES to
    have been created in 2003 and modified in June 2004 so if I can use them,
    they might not be too disastrous?

    But the Repair folder itself has files in it which date back to June 2000
    which is before I even got the computer so they might not be all that much
    use if they cause all my software to stop working and all my working
    hardware to need re-installing? When you said REPAIR folder in your
    message, might it possibly be called REGBACK?
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    Do you still have any Roxio or Adaptec services starting automatically?
    Do Crtl-Alt-Delete and look at the running processes, what's in there?
    Look in your Services Manager and see what services are running and
    which are set to Automatic Start. Before doing a registry restore we
    should make sure that none of the useless Roxio services are still starting.

    John

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > John John wrote:
    >
    >>PS: Do you have a repair folder and what is the date on the file
    >>system._ ? If it's not too old or if you are confident that no
    >>significant hardware changes were made after the date you might be
    >>best restoring that instead of trying to parse that huge .reg file
    >>you made, let us know.
    >>
    >>John
    >
    > Your idea about disabling the offending entries was a good one except that
    > when I rebooted the second time (after the uninstall), I received the error
    > message that it couldn't install the device: It said "YOUR SERVICE DATABASE
    > IS LOCKED" when it found the SCSI device. It then carried on and found the
    > device again about twenty seconds later and said it was installing it and
    > told me to reboot. But needless to say, that didn't assist the problem at
    > all. Funny, though, when it is sniffing around to see what is there on
    > startup before I even go into windows, the sniffing process doesnt even see
    > the devices (Zip, Jaz and Coolscan on that chain) which usually blink a few
    > times to show they are being detected.
    >
    > You are right about your implications: I am petrified about the prospect of
    > parsing a whole registry or a whole section of the registry!! (even if I
    > knew what it meant)
    > I do have a repair folder along with a somewhat suspicious REGBACK folder
    > with all sorts of up to 20 megabyte .dat files in it dated 27th December
    > (which is unfortunately a few days AFTER the Roxio install). But maybe that
    > is an access date? Interestingly the system file shows in PROPERTIES to
    > have been created in 2003 and modified in June 2004 so if I can use them,
    > they might not be too disastrous?
    >
    > But the Repair folder itself has files in it which date back to June 2000
    > which is before I even got the computer so they might not be all that much
    > use if they cause all my software to stop working and all my working
    > hardware to need re-installing? When you said REPAIR folder in your
    > message, might it possibly be called REGBACK?

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    John John wrote:
    > Do you still have any Roxio or Adaptec services starting
    > automatically? Do Crtl-Alt-Delete and look at the running
    > processes, what's in there? Look in your Services Manager and see
    > what services are running and
    > which are set to Automatic Start.

    Going into processes running, none seem to be Roxio or Roxio related.
    Certainly after uninstalling and then doing a Roxizap, nothing is loading
    automatically
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > Certainly after uninstalling and then doing a Roxizap, nothing is loading
    > automatically

    You never know with Roxio! Back to the registry backup and restore.
    The backup files would be in C:\WINNT\repair and
    C:\WINNT\repair\RegBack. (Assuming of course that your system drive is
    C and that the %systemroot% folder is winnt). These are the files that
    would be used to restore the registry system hive. You stated that the
    files in the Regback folder were last modified in June 2004, these are
    the files that you will restore, that will have to do and should do
    providing that no major hardware modifications were made after that
    date. You will concern yourself with only one file or hive, the System
    hive. The software hive is quite frankly a bit old to be restored,
    restoring the software hive would probably cause other software
    problems. Follow these instructions:

    1. Use the Windows 2000 CD-ROM or the Windows 2000 Startup disk to
    start the computer.
    2. When you see the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R for "repair."
    3. Press C to run the Recovery Console tool.
    4. Select the installation that you want to repair.
    5. Type the administrator password.
    6. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following commands,
    pressing ENTER after you type each command:

    cd system32\config
    ren system system.old
    ren system.alt systemalt.old

    7. Copy the backup of the System hive from the
    %SystemRoot%\Repair\Regback folder.

    IMPORTANT: You need to restore the most recent copy of the System hive.
    You also need to reinstall any hardware device drivers or programs that
    run as services that you installed since the last time that you updated
    your Emergency Repair Disk. (You stated earlier that the System file in
    the Regback folder was the newest, June 2004, copy from that folder!)

    To copy the System hive that was backed up the last time that you ran
    the Emergency Repair Disk Wizard, type the following command, and then
    press ENTER:

    copy c:\winnt\repair\regback\system c:\winnt\system32\config

    8. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart
    your computer.

    That will restore the system to the June 2004 configuration. This
    information is culled from
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269075. You
    should understand that this is usually a last ditch attempt before a
    Windows reinstall, meaning that all other attempts to uninstall and
    repair the devices fail.

    On a final note, I am a bit concerned at the size of your registry
    (58MB) and at the size of the registry backup files some being 20+MB.
    These figures seem high to me, I have all kinds of devices and software
    on my W2k machines and none have such a large registry or registry
    backup files. IF the System file in C:\WINNT\repair\RegBack is GREATER
    than 16MB this WILL cause problems, check that BEFORE attempting to
    restore it. Good luck, if this doesn't work you are facing a reinstall
    of some sort.

    John
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    Here is a problem I have always regarded as catastrohic but which in this
    case there may be a way around: I dont have a system disc: I only have one
    of those lousy recovery discs. But I DO have a CD with a complete i386
    directory. Can I use this for the restore you mention?
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    You should be able to launch the Recovery Console with that "lousy
    recovery disk", did you try it? What does it say when you try? As for
    the other cd I don't know, what else is on there? Is it a bootable cd
    of sorts? Maybe it's just a Service Pack CD to accompany the Recovery
    Disk, not much help for what you need. Surely any pc vendor worth 2
    cents would have sent a bootable recovery disk with recovery console
    ustility included. If not they need to be tared and feathered!

    John

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > Here is a problem I have always regarded as catastrohic but which in this
    > case there may be a way around: I dont have a system disc: I only have one
    > of those lousy recovery discs. But I DO have a CD with a complete i386
    > directory. Can I use this for the restore you mention?

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    Yes, I agree with you about "any vendor worth 2 cents would have sent a
    bootable recovery disk with recovery console ustility included. If not they
    need to be tared and feathered! "

    And as a member of an association of journalists, I have often advised
    journalists on their private forum never to buy a computer with a recovery
    disc principally since I discovered what it was and how dangerous it could
    be to use.

    I was proposing to boot off some (windows 98?) disc I can find on
    bootdisc.com and then use the CD which contains a complete Windows 2000 i386
    directory off which (in theory) windows 2000 can be installed. I made it to
    run SFC and wonder if it can operate the recovery console?

    I also have a newer xp pro install disc which contains a newer i386
    directory but I somehow doubt that I could use that?

    The actual last resort might be to upgrade the Windows 2000 installation to
    XP and see if it rectifies the problems inserted by Roxio or if they are
    completely bullet proof as suggested by it somehow stopping the sniffing
    process? I have been trying so hard for the last few years not to go over to
    the intensely annoying xp but might have to do so now if all else fails
    rather than reinstall 2000 from the recovery disc?
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > And as a member of an association of journalists, I have often advised
    > journalists on their private forum never to buy a computer with a recovery
    > disc principally since I discovered what it was and how dangerous it could
    > be to use.

    In the earlier Windows days ie w95, NT4, & W98 new pcs used to ship with
    Windows CDs or diskettes. In order to curb piracy Microsoft changed the
    distribution method for OEM. Now mostly all pcs ship with restore
    disks, but that doesn't mean that the restore cds need to be completely
    crippled and inadequate, the only real difference with these restore cds
    is that because of BIOS recognition they can't be used to install
    Windows on other computers. It's up to the manufacturer to send decent
    restore disks with the computer, I know from experience that Dell for
    example has always shipped fully functional restore disks with their
    pcs. Of course with XP Product Activation the distribution method may
    be changing.

    > I was proposing to boot off some (windows 98?) disc I can find on
    > bootdisc.com and then use the CD which contains a complete Windows 2000 i386
    > directory off which (in theory) windows 2000 can be installed. I made it to
    > run SFC and wonder if it can operate the recovery console?

    No need to do that, plus, if the file system is NTFS the w98 DOS boot
    disk won't even know that there is a hard drive or accessible partition
    present.

    > I also have a newer xp pro install disc which contains a newer i386
    > directory but I somehow doubt that I could use that?

    Probably yes, but I'm 100% not sure, you won't be installing anything
    just using the Recovery Console tool to manipulate files. I doubt that
    the XP Recovery Console is that much different than the W2k one and
    can't see why you couldn't use it to move around your W2k installation.
    For that matter you can probably use an NT4 one. Some commands are
    missing from one to the other but most everything works (I think).

    > The actual last resort might be to upgrade the Windows 2000 installation to
    > XP and see if it rectifies the problems inserted by Roxio or if they are
    > completely bullet proof as suggested by it somehow stopping the sniffing
    > process? I have been trying so hard for the last few years not to go over to
    > the intensely annoying xp but might have to do so now if all else fails
    > rather than reinstall 2000 from the recovery disc?

    Very, very, very bad idea! Upgrading Operating systems (instead of
    clean installs) is a bad idea for starters and upgrading an Operating
    System to try to cure existing problems is an even worse idea! If
    anything you would probably end up with MORE problems. It's a no-no in
    all cases.

    You can install the Windows 2000 recovery console on your hard drive
    from the i386 folder and then have a boot option for the RC show when
    you boot the pc. Once done you can remove the RC altogether or remove
    the path to it only in the boot file.

    CD-ROM drive letter:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons That should work from
    the Recovery CD or that other CD you have with i386 on it. You might
    have to explore the Recovery CD to see where the RC might be hiding.

    How To Install the Windows Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216417

    John
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    Well my recovery disc isnt usable except to boot into a total windows 2000
    installation so I suppose I should try the XP recovery console: All it can
    actually do worst case scenario is tell me I am trying to recover the wrong
    OS

    I am just wondering how big the recovery console is on these discs? I dont
    have much space on my drive which is why I was doing a clone job initially.

    Oh well, I suppose I will find out the answers to these questions simply by
    putting the disc in my drive and running the F:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    command

    > That should work from the Recovery CD or that other CD you have with i386
    on it. You might
    > have to explore the Recovery CD to see where the RC might be hiding.
    >
    > How To Install the Windows Recovery Console
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216417
    >
    > John
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications (More info?)

    It should work right off the XP cd without needing to install, I know
    that the NT/W2k work across versions with some features extra or missing
    depending on the OS. Let us know, I'm curious.

    John

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > Well my recovery disc isnt usable except to boot into a total windows 2000
    > installation so I suppose I should try the XP recovery console: All it can
    > actually do worst case scenario is tell me I am trying to recover the wrong
    > OS
    >
    > I am just wondering how big the recovery console is on these discs? I dont
    > have much space on my drive which is why I was doing a clone job initially.
    >
    > Oh well, I suppose I will find out the answers to these questions simply by
    > putting the disc in my drive and running the F:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    > command
    >

    >>That should work from the Recovery CD or that other CD you have with i386
    >
    > on it. You might
    >
    >>have to explore the Recovery CD to see where the RC might be hiding.
    >>
    >>How To Install the Windows Recovery Console
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216417
    >>
    >>John

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    It should work right off the XP cd without needing to install, I know
    > that the NT/W2k work across versions with some features extra or missing
    > depending on the OS. Let us know, I'm curious.

    Well, following the Microsoft instructions completely screwed up my whole
    system by corrupting my registry

    To be precise, having instlled it, I did mange to get into the recovery
    console and that recovery console did manage to somehow update the registry
    with the one in the place mentioned in the instructions (the repair
    directory) but the system wouldn't boot thereafter. It always just says that
    there is aproblem with the SYSTEM file

    Getting it to do a boot in verbose mode, it gets as far as the system file,
    then moves ot the system.alt file and then stops immediately, citing some
    problem with a supposedly corrupted SYSTEM file (I dont beleive it IS
    actually corrupted, it is just a renamed version of a file which worked up
    until I renamed it according to Microsoft instructions a few minutes before)
    which I presume is the actual registry itself. (I am wondering if there is
    a step they aren't telling you about which you have to take when exiting
    out of the recovery console before you can use that file as a registry such
    as changing its file attributes?)

    I tried going back to the recovery console and renaming all the files which
    ARE there (the one we were trying to cure was a 7.2 megabyte file) back to
    their original names (renaming system.old to system and systemalt.old back
    to system.alt) but I still get the same error message telling me that the
    system file is corrupted. I then tried every combination of the (only two)
    system files I have on my system and the OS wont let me use either of them
    as a SYSTEM file. Naturally it won't let me use the last known good
    installation on an F8 boot either.

    > John
    >
    > Licensed to Quill wrote:
    >
    > > Well my recovery disc isnt usable except to boot into a total windows
    2000
    > > installation so I suppose I should try the XP recovery console: All it
    can
    > > actually do worst case scenario is tell me I am trying to recover the
    wrong
    > > OS
    > >
    > > I am just wondering how big the recovery console is on these discs? I
    dont
    > > have much space on my drive which is why I was doing a clone job
    initially.

    > > Oh well, I suppose I will find out the answers to these questions simply
    by
    > > putting the disc in my drive and running the F:\i386\winnt32.exe
    /cmdcons
    > > command
    > >

    > >>That should work from the Recovery CD or that other CD you have with
    i386

    > > on it. You might
    > >
    > >>have to explore the Recovery CD to see where the RC might be hiding.
    > >>
    > >>How To Install the Windows Recovery Console
    > >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216417
    > >>
    > >>John

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Did you use the file in the repair directory or the one in the regback
    folder? The one in the Regback folder was much newer. You had two sets
    of backups, (C:\WINNT\repair and C:\WINNT\repair\RegBack) try one then
    the other.

    Time to use that recovery disc and do an inplace upgrade. You will need
    these Iomega SCSI drivers on a diskette and tell Windows at the hardware
    detection at begining of the installation that you have a "Mass Storage
    Device" to install.

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

    What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

    John

    Licensed to Quill wrote:
    > It should work right off the XP cd without needing to install, I know
    >
    >>that the NT/W2k work across versions with some features extra or missing
    >>depending on the OS. Let us know, I'm curious.
    >

    > Well, following the Microsoft instructions completely screwed up my whole
    > system by corrupting my registry
    >
    > To be precise, having instlled it, I did mange to get into the recovery
    > console and that recovery console did manage to somehow update the registry
    > with the one in the place mentioned in the instructions (the repair
    > directory) but the system wouldn't boot thereafter. It always just says that
    > there is aproblem with the SYSTEM file
    >
    > Getting it to do a boot in verbose mode, it gets as far as the system file,
    > then moves ot the system.alt file and then stops immediately, citing some
    > problem with a supposedly corrupted SYSTEM file (I dont beleive it IS
    > actually corrupted, it is just a renamed version of a file which worked up
    > until I renamed it according to Microsoft instructions a few minutes before)
    > which I presume is the actual registry itself. (I am wondering if there is
    > a step they aren't telling you about which you have to take when exiting
    > out of the recovery console before you can use that file as a registry such
    > as changing its file attributes?)
    >
    > I tried going back to the recovery console and renaming all the files which
    > ARE there (the one we were trying to cure was a 7.2 megabyte file) back to
    > their original names (renaming system.old to system and systemalt.old back
    > to system.alt) but I still get the same error message telling me that the
    > system file is corrupted. I then tried every combination of the (only two)
    > system files I have on my system and the OS wont let me use either of them
    > as a SYSTEM file. Naturally it won't let me use the last known good
    > installation on an F8 boot either.
    >

    >>John
    >>
    >>Licensed to Quill wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well my recovery disc isnt usable except to boot into a total windows
    >
    > 2000
    >
    >>>installation so I suppose I should try the XP recovery console: All it
    >
    > can
    >
    >>>actually do worst case scenario is tell me I am trying to recover the
    >
    > wrong
    >
    >>>OS
    >>>
    >>>I am just wondering how big the recovery console is on these discs? I
    >
    > dont
    >
    >>>have much space on my drive which is why I was doing a clone job
    >
    > initially.
    >
    >>>Oh well, I suppose I will find out the answers to these questions simply
    >
    > by
    >
    >>>putting the disc in my drive and running the F:\i386\winnt32.exe
    >
    > /cmdcons
    >
    >>>command

    > i386
    >
    >>>on it. You might

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I hope I have a few options yet before putting that recovery disc in and
    erasing all my files: Beware of Toshiba recovery discs!! I suspect I would
    prefer to go over to Linux and use this whole (only slightly elderly)
    computer as a slave for the drive alone before doing that? I am beginning
    to wonder how long one should retain these not brand-new computers after
    yesterday when a friend told me he had just bought a new (admittedly
    Toshiba) computer with a wide screen and Celeron processor for $499 after
    two $200 rebates at CompUSA

    I don't know which registry it prompted me to use, which ever one is used
    when I followed those instructions??

    There is something called a Windows 2000 registry repair tool which installs
    off 6 floppies (which seem to have to be installed through XP???) which
    might be worth a try, especially as I suspect I haven't actually got
    anything wrong with my registry: The boot process which stops stops before
    it actually does anything besides check that there is an .alt file there so
    I suspect there isn't much actually wrong with the registry which it cant
    see

    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I see, one of those all or nothing recovery disc, like IBM F11 boxes,
    they not only format the install partition but also fdisk the drive and
    remove all the partitions! There might yet be hope, but the options are
    growing faint... There were 2 possible backups to use, they would have
    been copied with:

    copy c:\winnt\repair\regback\system c:\winnt\system32\config

    or

    copy c:\winnt\repair\system c:\winnt\system32\config

    (After you issue the copy command you should get a message stating that
    1 file was copied).

    This is an other install option:
    How to perform a parallel installation of Windows 2000 or Windows Server
    2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;266465

    John

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > I hope I have a few options yet before putting that recovery disc in and
    > erasing all my files: Beware of Toshiba recovery discs!! I suspect I would
    > prefer to go over to Linux and use this whole (only slightly elderly)
    > computer as a slave for the drive alone before doing that? I am beginning
    > to wonder how long one should retain these not brand-new computers after
    > yesterday when a friend told me he had just bought a new (admittedly
    > Toshiba) computer with a wide screen and Celeron processor for $499 after
    > two $200 rebates at CompUSA
    >
    > I don't know which registry it prompted me to use, which ever one is used
    > when I followed those instructions??
    >
    > There is something called a Windows 2000 registry repair tool which installs
    > off 6 floppies (which seem to have to be installed through XP???) which
    > might be worth a try, especially as I suspect I haven't actually got
    > anything wrong with my registry: The boot process which stops stops before
    > it actually does anything besides check that there is an .alt file there so
    > I suspect there isn't much actually wrong with the registry which it cant
    > see
    >

    >>How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Is this what you referred to?
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56d3c201-2c68-4de8-9229-ca494362419c&DisplayLang=en

    Give it a try.

    John

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > I hope I have a few options yet before putting that recovery disc in and
    > erasing all my files: Beware of Toshiba recovery discs!! I suspect I would
    > prefer to go over to Linux and use this whole (only slightly elderly)
    > computer as a slave for the drive alone before doing that? I am beginning
    > to wonder how long one should retain these not brand-new computers after
    > yesterday when a friend told me he had just bought a new (admittedly
    > Toshiba) computer with a wide screen and Celeron processor for $499 after
    > two $200 rebates at CompUSA
    >
    > I don't know which registry it prompted me to use, which ever one is used
    > when I followed those instructions??
    >
    > There is something called a Windows 2000 registry repair tool which installs
    > off 6 floppies (which seem to have to be installed through XP???) which
    > might be worth a try, especially as I suspect I haven't actually got
    > anything wrong with my registry: The boot process which stops stops before
    > it actually does anything besides check that there is an .alt file there so
    > I suspect there isn't much actually wrong with the registry which it cant
    > see
    >

    >>How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I suspected it was the process of using that recovery console which was
    causing the file to become corrupted but I wasnt sure. It hadnt occured to
    me that I was copying the wrong registry until you mentioned it so I will
    try it before I try the six disc checkReg file

    > copy c:\winnt\repair\regback\system c:\winnt\system32\config
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > Give it a try.
    Things are getting very peculiar indeed: Nothing will get this system to see
    that there is a registry there. I have now confirmed that the registry is
    exactly as it was before I made the changes, even gone as far as to repair
    the registry to ensure that what wasn't broken before DEFINITELY isn't
    broken now (the repair utility reports that the registry has been repaired)
    and still the system wont boot to any registry

    I also checked that the registry is one which was working before and that
    the backup replacement I tried IS one which was working last June and it is
    (the one in the other directory is one which dates from before I got the
    computer when the original install was done and is only about two megabytes
    as opposed to the recent one which is 7.2 Mb and the June one which is 6.6
    Mb. So the problem isn't with the registry, it is with something preventing
    the system from seeing it. Whatever I do, as I said, I can check by going
    into safe mode boot and it shows verbose mode, goes straight past SYSTEM to
    check for a SYSTEM.ALT file and then stops without reading anything from
    either, telling me immediately that there is no registry.

    Not that I have tried it yet but I am even beginning to doubt that I would
    be able to do an in-place upgrade to XP Pro as the install process might not
    see this registry.

    Any ideas what might be wrong or is there something on the MS Knowledge
    base about systems not being able to see their perfectly proper SYSTEM files
    which might be relevant to this problem? ( I never managed ot figure out any
    way of checking that source and posting to the win2000.registry group doesnt
    seem to be eliciting any responses)
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Well, I guess I wasn't clear enough in an earlier post when I said
    "...if this doesn't work you are facing a reinstall of some sort." I
    should have worded that differently, I apologize, I should have said:
    "...this might require a reinstall if things go wrong."

    Do you have an Emergency Repair Disk?
    To use emergency repair on a system that will not start
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/advanced/help/recovery_erd.htm

    What is exact error message that you get? Post it here.

    What are the specs on the machine and about how much free space do you
    have on the hard drive? What is that XP disc that you have? Did you
    install it and activate it elsewhere? Hardware and space permitting you
    can use it to salvage your files. What is the file system on the
    machine FAT32 or NTFS? Do you have access to a REAL Windows 2000
    install disc? That would be the best way out of this quagmire that I
    and Roxio led you into. If the drive is FAT32, Windows 98 (or even DOS)
    can be used to salvage your files. If your files are small DOS and an
    NTFS DOS reader can be used to salvage them. The drive is slavable to
    another W2K or XP machine but you will need an adaptor cable.

    Until one of your last posts I was unaware that this was a laptop,
    makes a BIG difference when trying to help, laptops are particularly
    finicky and without a doubt my suggestion would have been to consult
    Toshiba website for help. What is the model number of the laptop,
    perhaps Toshiba can still be of help.

    I think this is almost to the point of going into file salvage mode and
    reset the laptop to factory conditions. On the bright side you will
    have a brand new installation and certainly a registry that is nowheres
    near to 58MB in size. And Roxio will be eradicated completely... and I
    will fade in your memory as one of these bad reoccurring nightmares.

    John

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    >>Give it a try.
    >
    > Things are getting very peculiar indeed: Nothing will get this system to see
    > that there is a registry there. I have now confirmed that the registry is
    > exactly as it was before I made the changes, even gone as far as to repair
    > the registry to ensure that what wasn't broken before DEFINITELY isn't
    > broken now (the repair utility reports that the registry has been repaired)
    > and still the system wont boot to any registry
    >
    > I also checked that the registry is one which was working before and that
    > the backup replacement I tried IS one which was working last June and it is
    > (the one in the other directory is one which dates from before I got the
    > computer when the original install was done and is only about two megabytes
    > as opposed to the recent one which is 7.2 Mb and the June one which is 6.6
    > Mb. So the problem isn't with the registry, it is with something preventing
    > the system from seeing it. Whatever I do, as I said, I can check by going
    > into safe mode boot and it shows verbose mode, goes straight past SYSTEM to
    > check for a SYSTEM.ALT file and then stops without reading anything from
    > either, telling me immediately that there is no registry.
    >
    > Not that I have tried it yet but I am even beginning to doubt that I would
    > be able to do an in-place upgrade to XP Pro as the install process might not
    > see this registry.
    >
    > Any ideas what might be wrong or is there something on the MS Knowledge
    > base about systems not being able to see their perfectly proper SYSTEM files
    > which might be relevant to this problem? ( I never managed ot figure out any
    > way of checking that source and posting to the win2000.registry group doesnt
    > seem to be eliciting any responses)

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > Well, I guess I wasn't clear enough in an earlier post when I said
    > "...if this doesn't work you are facing a reinstall of some sort." I
    > should have worded that differently, I apologize, I should have said:
    > "...this might require a reinstall if things go wrong."
    >
    > Do you have an Emergency Repair Disk?
    > To use emergency repair on a system that will not start

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/advanced/help/recovery_erd.htm

    > What is exact error message that you get? Post it here.

    Well things look catastrophic but I dont think they are all that disastrous
    in reality: THere is simply (if that if the word) something preventing my
    computer from seeing the registry on boot. I have followed the Microsoft
    instructions on how to change a registry and it was something in that
    procedure whcih caused this problem. After I had executed the commands the
    system stopped being able to see its system file. Either system file. No
    amount of changing it or trying alternatives (such a 'last knows working
    configurtation' which I presume what system.alt is) would help. although I
    havent got an emergency repair disc, wouldnt it be easier to try to identify
    what is wrong with the system which is preventing it from seeing the
    registty?

    (I can in fact put a working drive in the Toshiba and create another vanilla
    installation if necessary and then create an emergency repair disc if
    necessary IF that procedure is open to me with this lousy recovery dsic
    which they gave me? I seem to remember when I tried it that during the
    create process they ask you for your windows 2000 install disc and I dont
    have one so I couldnt create it last time I tried but I could try again to
    confirm that this was the problem with this procedure: I might be
    remembering the wrong procedure?)

    > What are the specs on the machine and about how much free space do you
    > have on the hard drive?
    The Toshiba sis a 650 MHz 256 Meg Pwntium 111 and space on the hard drive IS
    a bit of a problem: I only have about 115 meg of space on a HDD of 12 gig.
    I can easily free up some of the space by deleting that 58 megabyte file
    which I now discover ISNT a backup of the registry which I cant see how I
    could need if the problem is simply one of the boot proccess not seeing the
    registry.

    What is that XP disc that you have? Did you
    > install it and activate it elsewhere? Yes, it is a spare XP Pro install
    disc which I had used and activated on another computer.

    Hardware and space permitting you
    > can use it to salvage your files. What is the file system on the
    > machine FAT32 or NTFS? Do you have access to a REAL Windows 2000
    > install disc?

    No
    That would be the best way out of this quagmire that I
    > and Roxio led you into. If the drive is FAT32, Windows 98 (or even DOS)
    > can be used to salvage your files. If your files are small DOS and an
    > NTFS DOS reader can be used to salvage them. The drive is slavable to
    > another W2K or XP machine but you will need an adaptor cable.
    That isnt a real problem as I have a desktop machine which I can put this
    notebook drive into to salvage the fiels but I am hoping that I can get this
    computer to see its registry somehow as the move process would be
    exceptionally laborious, what as I use Microsoft Outlook for all my PIM and
    mail: It has a few disastrous faults: Firstly it makes .pst files which are
    between 300 Mgagabytes and 500 megabytes in sixe which include all data ever
    created by outlook and all email and all data you could in thoery put in
    such PIM. Secondly it doesn't crete .iaf files any more so with a dozen
    mailboxes, you have to keep careful track of user IDs and passwords now,
    which is a bit difficult without access to the Outlook because what you are
    doing is to move files on another computer

    What is the model number of the laptop,
    > perhaps Toshiba can still be of help. I am at the moment in New York and
    Toshiba have discontinued all their american support: When you call them
    they try to demoralise you into going away: First they try to get all your
    personal information out of you v e r y s l o lw l y indeed, repeating every
    thing a few times even slower. Then an Indian voce pretends to listen very
    carefully to the problem witout taking any of it in. He then (after trying
    to wriggle our of helping if you have bought your Toshiba computer with a
    global warranty anywhere out of the US, pretends that he is "going to
    double check that" and then after an interval of a timed 35 seconds tries to
    get you to format your hard drive and use the recovery disc without
    bothering to check if you even have a bcakup: Toshiba appparently takes
    great joy in THEN finding out that their users have destroyed al their data
    and configurations AFTER they have destroyed everything.

    I was sorta hoping I could avoid that curious ritual which seems to
    consituute TOshiba AMerica's exit from the consumer computer makret by
    identifying what is preventing my computer from seeing its registry which is
    there and in proper form and (except for the Roxio and SCSI bit) working.
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > John
    >

    > Does anyone know who makes Toshiba drives or who makes a test utility? What
    > is suspicious is that the drive doesn't even read any identification on
    > boot.

    Maybe Toshiba?
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message > Maybe Toshiba?

    It says TOSHIBA on it but I don't believe that they still support drives:
    Maybe, but they deny vehemently that they make these things and if you try
    to ask them, they just ask you your computer's serial number and jump at the
    opportunity to get rid of you if you go down one of their wild goose chases
    and tell them.
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/index.asp?nav=RSC&page=RSC&frame=content

    Licensed to Quill wrote:

    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message > Maybe Toshiba?
    >
    > It says TOSHIBA on it but I don't believe that they still support drives:
    > Maybe, but they deny vehemently that they make these things and if you try
    > to ask them, they just ask you your computer's serial number and jump at the
    > opportunity to get rid of you if you go down one of their wild goose chases
    > and tell them.

Computers Windows