How long do your PSU(s) last? Branded or cheap PSU(s)?

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
From my experience, all the PSU(s) I bought cost around USD 10-15 for the past 8-10 years.

My experience is that they have average life cycle of 1.5 years to 3.5 years life time until some part of them burned and I changed another one.

I usually on my computer 24/7.

Recently, I bought a new PSU which cost around 57USD (included shipping) , FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN (Tier 3 in the chart somewhere).
I could have use the money to buy 4 low cost PSU at USD 10-15.

Do you think they can last at least 10 years?

How about yours? What's your experience with the PSU? Does the tier 1-3 PSU last longer? How long?

I never bought a very expensive PSU before.

Just wondering did I make a good choice or not.

JumpinBananas

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Manufacturers usually state how long they expect them to last. Mine is MTBF of 100,000 hours at 25C on full load, which is 11.4 years, at FULL. Its a seasonic S12+ 650W, and is a more expensive one. Generally the heavier supplies are better quality and last longer, especially those with solid state components. Consider that most PSU's don't run at full capacity, I think the PSU will outlast many other components in the computer in 10 years lol.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i think your time frame applies to many low end electronics.

i had a hipro for over 5 yrs in a hp - win 98 - i took it out and i still use it as a test psu to fire up fans and stuff. that's why i recommend hipro generic low end psu's - i build systems and i used 10 or so none have failed. the opposite is true for cooolmax they are "guaranteed to fail"!

i have never had a good psu fail. cheap ones do alot!

psu-eagle wrote in the sticky: reference to xtremesystems - the sticky reference rates shuttle psu very low - my shuttle runs 24/7 and its 4 years old! same psu

cheap capacitors fail fast - good ones do not - but even the high end people get a load of bad "caps"