Case - Antec 900
Cpu - Intel Core 2 Duo e6300
Cooling - Scythe Infinity probably with AS5
Mobo- Gigabyte DS3
Ram - G.Skill 2x1gig pc2 6400 4-4-3-5 timings
Psu - Corsair 620w HX modular
Video Card - undecided
Hard Drives - 1 74gb Raptor, 1 500gb WD

This is my first build. Got some practice by taking apart a custom computer I ordered online several years ago then putting it back together. Put some as5, and did a really good job with cable management. Need some thoughts on those who have similar builds. I will be overclocking to about 2.8-3.1ghz. Got the 6300 through Intel purchase program. Ive read tons of stuff about the DS3 and it looks like its perfect for me, but then I saw 965 Asus board similar in price that overclocks well now too. If I can get some pointers or recommendations, that would be great. Also, any other good ram choices? The Gskill I selected had the lowest timings and overclock great. Love the site. Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about first time builder input
  1. Anyone?!?
  2. What kind of graphics do you need? Do you play new games and what's your monitor's resolution?

Everything looks pretty good although you could probably save a little money on the power supply but that's not really important. The Raptor, though, is generally a waste of money. You'd be better off spending the $200 or whatever it is on CPU or graphics.
  3. Quote:
    What kind of graphics do you need? Do you play new games and what's your monitor's resolution?

Everything looks pretty good although you could probably save a little money on the power supply but that's not really important. The Raptor, though, is generally a waste of money. You'd be better off spending the $200 or whatever it is on CPU or graphics.

i play some newer games like HL2, but not really concerned about my graphics card yet. will prob be getting an x1650 for like $50 from a friend. i chose that power supply since i will be overclocking, with prob 3-4 hard drives. and i really wanted a good modular power supply. my main concern is my mobo choices. i was looking at the DS3 and also at the asus 650i board. i got two raptors for a really good price i couldnt pass up.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking