kickbutt

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
To start with I need to say that Im from sweden (europe for those of you that dont know).

We have a tax of 25% and prices in general is better in usa then in europe.

Yes I can order online from tigerdirect but it will be like 70-100$ extra in shipping to sweden. Is it possible to order to my hotell?

So I need to find a good comp shop with "desent" prices.

Also do I have to pay tax when I buy there? Is there a way to get it tax free?

So Im planning to get me one more system with
Gigabyte DS3/4 (pref 3.0) or an ASUS P5N-E
a 2Gb kit of PC6400 brand RAM
320Gb 8800 GTS el cheapo card
a nice c2d 4300/6300/6400 for medium OC (3GHZ +)
possible one more HDD sata 320Gb or larger dep on price

the rest I have or will get at home (weigt constrains)

Im going to New York at the end of the month flying the 22 and going back on the 28/3.

any good advice and the shops have a Homepage please post a link.

h2oman

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
If you are going to buy from a store in NYC you will need to pay the NYC sales tax which is currently 8 3/8 % (.08375). And retail stores will run higher then online. J&R has good prices for retail and they may have all of what your looking for.
If you decide to buy online you can save the sales tax from some companies. (depends on where they have physical offices) Newegg is New Jersey, California and Tennessee. If you are staying at a good hotel I'm sure you will be able to set it up with them to receive packages for you. The only sticking point is you may need to do some leg work with the vendor ahead of time if you decide to buy from newegg for example to guarantee the transaction, as address verification will not match credit card, and they will be hesitant on shipping. Newegg orders tend to arrive in 3 business days or less so your length of stay is good. I can help you out if need be but I'm in New Jersey so I pay 7% tax on my Newegg purchases. But I still buy everything from newegg.

kickbutt

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Tanx for the help

Prices seems pretty bad tough compaired with OL prices
Will have to check if I can order from NewEgg or tiger to my hotell instead (Yes, Im a cheap bastard - naah not really but if I cant get good prices I can just as well buy at home)

To start with I need to say that Im from sweden (europe for those of you that dont know).

Uhh, where's Europe? :D

As madmurph stated, J&R is a pretty good retail store with decent prices for a brick and mortor store.

Other places to check out are:

www.compusa.com

www.bestbuy.com

There are several store locations so you can find the one nearest to your hotel by using the store locator feature and entering your hotel's zipcode. Their prices are usually a bit higher than J&R (not by a lot though), but they might have sales that are worth checking out.

Newegg.com is a possible option. You can find out if Newegg will ship to a hotel address by calling customer support (it's a toll free call):

http://www.newegg.com/CustomerService/ContactUs.asp

The only problem with ordering online is that you must do so immediately once you get to your hotel because there may be potential shipping delays.

Refer to the following page for order processing FAQs:

http://www.newegg.com/CustomerService/FAQDetail.asp?Module=1

How long does it generally take to process an order?

It takes one to two business days for us to process an order (prior to shipping it). Once the order has shipped, your estimated time of arrival will be determined by your selected shipping method and your local FedEx guidelines for delivery. Newegg.com offers Rush Processing for orders placed before 12PM PST for a small additional fee. Newegg.com will put forth its best efforts, however, we cannot guarantee that your order will ship the same day. If we fail to ship your order on the same day, we will refund the Rush Processing fee.

12PM PST would be 3:00PM in NYC.