Need Help overclocking e4300 with a gigabyte 965p-ds3 board

Last response: in Overclocking
March 6, 2007 6:11:58 PM

Hey guys, heres is my set up:
965p-ds3 mobo
e4300 cpu
1gb ocz 800mhz ram
xfx 8800 GPU

Heres my problem, I hear people overclocking this chip to 3.3(or at least above 3.0) pretty easily. I am an overclocking noob and i tried for hours and hours and i could not get mine to pass 2.0. Once i increase my fbs to 240, the system would not boot up (then i have to clear the cmos and do all that annoying stuff). I am pretty sure it isnt the hardware problem and there is something really simple that i simply don't know how to do. i was able to overclocking it to 2.6 once and then i tried to go higher than that and the system would not boot back up, ever since that, i can not get it to pass 220 fsb. I am kinda frustrated here.... Does anyone know what i am doing wrong? Any input is appreciated, thanks!!!
March 6, 2007 6:15:23 PM

Did you increase vcore? If not, you should read an overclocking guide. There are several on this forum. I think there's another thread just below this one by another guy with a 4300 that has a link to one, in fact.
March 6, 2007 9:46:26 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, heres is my set up:
965p-ds3 mobo
e4300 cpu
1gb ocz 800mhz ram
xfx 8800 GPU

Heres my problem, I hear people overclocking this chip to 3.3(or at least above 3.0) pretty easily. I am an overclocking noob and i tried for hours and hours and i could not get mine to pass 2.0. Once i increase my fbs to 240, the system would not boot up (then i have to clear the cmos and do all that annoying stuff). I am pretty sure it isnt the hardware problem and there is something really simple that i simply don't know how to do. i was able to overclocking it to 2.6 once and then i tried to go higher than that and the system would not boot back up, ever since that, i can not get it to pass 220 fsb. I am kinda frustrated here.... Does anyone know what i am doing wrong? Any input is appreciated, thanks!!!

What is your fsb to memory ratio?
Related resources
March 7, 2007 3:23:11 AM

Warnysouth, how do i find out?
i think i have memory mhz at auto.
March 7, 2007 5:45:03 AM

Also what BIOS version are you working with? F7 and F10 are the most friendly. Don't flash using @bios! Use a floppy.
March 7, 2007 6:00:39 AM

Quote:
Warnysouth, how do i find out?
i think i have memory mhz at auto.

Download and run CPU-Z. Click on the memory tab that will tell you. If its running 1:2 then you need to change your bios setting for the memory multiplier to 2 (on the F10 DS3 board I dont know about other bios versions/boards). That will bring your ratio to 1:1.

I would also wait and see if someone confirms this before doing this as I am new to this game too

cheers

W
March 8, 2007 6:26:37 AM

Also, have you disabled EIST, smartfan, etc in bios before OCing?
!