Windows 2003 VPN

Mike

Splendid

Hi, I have a Windows 2003 server and would like to enable VPN capability to
access it from home for our employees. I am searching for documentation to
help me do that. I have found a couple of KB docs, but they don't address my
specific situation.
My server has only one network adapter, and is behind a Linksys firewall (as
are all of our computers). Can I set up VPN capability with only one network
adapter in the server? We do not have a DMZ or anything like that as well.
Like I said, I have searched the MS support site for docs on VPN setup, but
haven't found anything that fits my situation. Any help would be
appreciated! Thanks, Mike

In article <8487BEDB-357A-4A79-B42B-7831EDCC66CF@microsoft.com>,
Mike@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hi, I have a Windows 2003 server and would like to enable VPN capability to
> access it from home for our employees. I am searching for documentation to
> help me do that. I have found a couple of KB docs, but they don't address my
> specific situation.
>
> My server has only one network adapter, and is behind a Linksys firewall (as

First and most importantly, the Linksys unit is NOT a firewall, it's a
router that uses NAT to protect you.

> are all of our computers). Can I set up VPN capability with only one network
> adapter in the server? We do not have a DMZ or anything like that as well.
> Like I said, I have searched the MS support site for docs on VPN setup, but
> haven't found anything that fits my situation. Any help would be
> appreciated! Thanks, Mike

The MS docs are very clear in how to setup a VPN into a 2003 server, and
Linksys has documents also for setting up the router to provide inbound
VPN access.

I have a number of 2003 VPN servers acting as end-points being passed
through routers (NAT boxes). It would have helped if you had provided
the model number for your router.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Mike

Splendid

Thanks for the response. My question was, what MS docs can answer my
questions based upon my situation. As I said, I have found a couple of KB
docs, but they talk about configuring with two nics, and I don't have that
setup. I have also found one on the client side setup, but I haven't been
able to find one for my scenario, that's what I was asking about. Can you
point me to specific docs? My linksys's are BEFVP41, which is the VPN router
model, but the VPN connection between sites is somewhat slow, and I wanted to
see if I could do it through software and perhaps it would be faster.

Thanks

In article <D0844181-8B72-49E6-A79C-D830C07C0044@microsoft.com>,
Mike@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Thanks for the response. My question was, what MS docs can answer my
> questions based upon my situation. As I said, I have found a couple of KB
> docs, but they talk about configuring with two nics, and I don't have that
> setup. I have also found one on the client side setup, but I haven't been
> able to find one for my scenario, that's what I was asking about. Can you
> point me to specific docs? My linksys's are BEFVP41, which is the VPN router
> model, but the VPN connection between sites is somewhat slow, and I wanted to
> see if I could do it through software and perhaps it would be faster.

If you're seeing slow connections between the routers, when using IPSec
tunnels configured in the devices, it's not going to be any faster with
a 2003 VPN. Try setting your encryption level to a lower value. It also
makes a difference if you have fixed public IP's or dynamic. You should
also make sure that each router is setup with a different subnet,
meaning the office should be something like 192.168.10.1/24 and the
others should be 192.168.11.1/24, 12.1/24......

Most of the MS doc's talk about dual nic and only tell you that you have
to use a CUSTOM setting for single nic, but, if you read the document
it's fairly easy to setup a 2000/2003 VPN server.

I have one location with a real firewall, a WatchGuard Firebox III unit
as the corporate office with 13 Linksys BEFVP41 units at remote offices
and it's fast. We're using business class cable 3mb/1.5mb for it.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)