BIOS Setup - P&P

What is the practical difference between setting the "Plug-and-Play
OS" in my BIOS to "yes" or "no" when running Win2K?

I've always run with it set to "yes" but I want to get network access
from a dos boot and this requires it to be set to "no" (to access the
netcard). I don't really want to have to reset it in the BIOS each
time.

WoofWoof <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in news:41D74AEE.9E52A2F5
@hotmail.com:

> What is the practical difference between setting the "Plug-and-Play
> OS" in my BIOS to "yes" or "no" when running Win2K?
>
> I've always run with it set to "yes" but I want to get network access
> from a dos boot and this requires it to be set to "no" (to access the
> netcard). I don't really want to have to reset it in the BIOS each
> time.

At its simplest it determines which assigns resources to devices. If PNP
OS is set to no then the BIOS will assign all resources to devices. If
it is set to yes then the BIOS will only assign some resources for core
motherboard components and the OS will assign the rest. Of course it is
a lot more complex than that.

Leonard Severt

Microsft Enterprise Support

rights.