how to enable copy and paste on dvd-rw drives?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
January 5, 2005 5:52:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I've seen that sometimes users of XP can just copy and paset files on such
drives with removable media without having to resort to third-parties like
nero.
Is it possible to enable this sort of behavior on w2k3 machine?
Actually i'd like to use it in conjunction with backup utility so i'd like
to know if any additional configuration is required. For example the media
pools. i've read a few lines on it but didn't get any clue if i have to do
something with it.
Drive Information
------------------
Drive : TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R5272
Type : DVD-R/RW Combo Drive
Firmware Version : 1030
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : 03-08-04
Serial Number : 432R051324
Vendor Specific : 03/08/04
Drive Letter : G:\
Location : 1:0
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 40, 32, 16, 6 X
Write Speed : 32, 4 X

Maybe the drive's manufacture has to be contacted for driver updates?
Thanks in advance
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:52:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Windows XP does not have native DVD recording capabilities.
You'll need a third-party DVD recording program, such as Nero.
http://www.nero.com/us/index.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"ILiya" wrote:

| I've seen that sometimes users of XP can just copy and paset files on such
| drives with removable media without having to resort to third-parties like
| nero.
| Is it possible to enable this sort of behavior on w2k3 machine?
| Actually i'd like to use it in conjunction with backup utility so i'd like
| to know if any additional configuration is required. For example the media
| pools. i've read a few lines on it but didn't get any clue if i have to do
| something with it.
| Drive Information
| ------------------
| Drive : TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R5272
| Type : DVD-R/RW Combo Drive
| Firmware Version : 1030
| Buffer Size : 2 MB
| Date : 03-08-04
| Serial Number : 432R051324
| Vendor Specific : 03/08/04
| Drive Letter : G:\
| Location : 1:0
| Mechanism : Tray
| Read Speed : 40, 32, 16, 6 X
| Write Speed : 32, 4 X
|
| Maybe the drive's manufacture has to be contacted for driver updates?
| Thanks in advance
January 5, 2005 7:05:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Thank you for your feedback Carey,
I have nero and experience no problems with burning anything with it....
I 'm just trying to figure out the picture what the OS is capable of
natively. I'm interested with theoretical usage ntbackup utility together
with dvd-rw drives...

So, lets say, if what you said was correct and I had a CD-RW drive, the
system would recognized the drive as rewritable media drive which gave me a
chace to do copy and paste?
If that statement is correct, then i'd be able to cut and paste with cd-rw
drive, but now that i have a dvd-rw and insert cd-rw media into it i'am
unable to do it which is a bit unfair but well.... i'm just curious.

> Windows XP does not have native DVD recording capabilities.
> You'll need a third-party DVD recording program, such as Nero.
> http://www.nero.com/us/index.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

-----------------

> "ILiya" wrote:
>
> | I've seen that sometimes users of XP can just copy and paset files on
such
> | drives with removable media without having to resort to third-parties
like
> | nero.
> | Is it possible to enable this sort of behavior on w2k3 machine?
> | Actually i'd like to use it in conjunction with backup utility so i'd
like
> | to know if any additional configuration is required. For example the
media
> | pools. i've read a few lines on it but didn't get any clue if i have to
do
> | something with it.
> | Drive Information
> | ------------------
> | Drive : TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R5272
> | Type : DVD-R/RW Combo Drive
> | Firmware Version : 1030
> | Buffer Size : 2 MB
> | Date : 03-08-04
> | Serial Number : 432R051324
> | Vendor Specific : 03/08/04
> | Drive Letter : G:\
> | Location : 1:0
> | Mechanism : Tray
> | Read Speed : 40, 32, 16, 6 X
> | Write Speed : 32, 4 X
> |
> | Maybe the drive's manufacture has to be contacted for driver updates?
> | Thanks in advance

Related resources
January 5, 2005 7:05:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

AFAIK NTBackup does not (natively) support CD-R(W) devices.
MS itself even suggests, when you desire to put the backup on a CD (or DVD
for that matter) you'd have to make the .bkf on disk and subsequently burn
it to CD (DVD)

george

"ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
news:o GZ41Hs8EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thank you for your feedback Carey,
> I have nero and experience no problems with burning anything with it....
> I 'm just trying to figure out the picture what the OS is capable of
> natively. I'm interested with theoretical usage ntbackup utility together
> with dvd-rw drives...
>
> So, lets say, if what you said was correct and I had a CD-RW drive, the
> system would recognized the drive as rewritable media drive which gave me
> chace to do copy and paste?
> If that statement is correct, then i'd be able to cut and paste with cd-rw
> drive, but now that i have a dvd-rw and insert cd-rw media into it i'am
> unable to do it which is a bit unfair but well.... i'm just curious.

>> Windows XP does not have native DVD recording capabilities.
>> You'll need a third-party DVD recording program, such as Nero.
>> http://www.nero.com/us/index.html
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>
>> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> -----------------
>>
>> "ILiya" wrote:
>>
>> | I've seen that sometimes users of XP can just copy and paset files on
> such
>> | drives with removable media without having to resort to third-parties
> like
>> | nero.
>> | Is it possible to enable this sort of behavior on w2k3 machine?
>> | Actually i'd like to use it in conjunction with backup utility so i'd
> like
>> | to know if any additional configuration is required. For example the
> media
>> | pools. i've read a few lines on it but didn't get any clue if i have to
> do
>> | something with it.
>> | Drive Information
>> | ------------------
>> | Drive : TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R5272
>> | Type : DVD-R/RW Combo Drive
>> | Firmware Version : 1030
>> | Buffer Size : 2 MB
>> | Date : 03-08-04
>> | Serial Number : 432R051324
>> | Vendor Specific : 03/08/04
>> | Drive Letter : G:\
>> | Location : 1:0
>> | Mechanism : Tray
>> | Read Speed : 40, 32, 16, 6 X
>> | Write Speed : 32, 4 X
>> |
>> | Maybe the drive's manufacture has to be contacted for driver updates?
>> | Thanks in advance

January 5, 2005 7:05:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

to add, XP (and thus by extension NTBackup) natively only supports writing
standard ISO format discs and not UDF formatted ones, which is what you
would need to do what you are after: copy and paste.
So far only 3rd party apps support that, not XP (natively)

george

"ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
news:o GZ41Hs8EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thank you for your feedback Carey,
> I have nero and experience no problems with burning anything with it....
> I 'm just trying to figure out the picture what the OS is capable of
> natively. I'm interested with theoretical usage ntbackup utility together
> with dvd-rw drives...
>
> So, lets say, if what you said was correct and I had a CD-RW drive, the
> system would recognized the drive as rewritable media drive which gave me
> chace to do copy and paste?
> If that statement is correct, then i'd be able to cut and paste with cd-rw
> drive, but now that i have a dvd-rw and insert cd-rw media into it i'am
> unable to do it which is a bit unfair but well.... i'm just curious.

>> Windows XP does not have native DVD recording capabilities.
>> You'll need a third-party DVD recording program, such as Nero.
>> http://www.nero.com/us/index.html
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>
>> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> -----------------
>>
>> "ILiya" wrote:
>>
>> | I've seen that sometimes users of XP can just copy and paset files on
> such
>> | drives with removable media without having to resort to third-parties
> like
>> | nero.
>> | Is it possible to enable this sort of behavior on w2k3 machine?
>> | Actually i'd like to use it in conjunction with backup utility so i'd
> like
>> | to know if any additional configuration is required. For example the
> media
>> | pools. i've read a few lines on it but didn't get any clue if i have to
> do
>> | something with it.
>> | Drive Information
>> | ------------------
>> | Drive : TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R5272
>> | Type : DVD-R/RW Combo Drive
>> | Firmware Version : 1030
>> | Buffer Size : 2 MB
>> | Date : 03-08-04
>> | Serial Number : 432R051324
>> | Vendor Specific : 03/08/04
>> | Drive Letter : G:\
>> | Location : 1:0
>> | Mechanism : Tray
>> | Read Speed : 40, 32, 16, 6 X
>> | Write Speed : 32, 4 X
>> |
>> | Maybe the drive's manufacture has to be contacted for driver updates?
>> | Thanks in advance

January 5, 2005 8:05:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Thank you george,
So we figure that neither xp nor w2k3 can support DVD-RW drives for
recording.
however these os can do CD-RW for recording.
could you be more specific on general differencies between iso and udf fs
for the end user or where I could read more on that?

"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> to add, XP (and thus by extension NTBackup) natively only supports writing
> standard ISO format discs and not UDF formatted ones, which is what you
> would need to do what you are after: copy and paste.
> So far only 3rd party apps support that, not XP (natively)
>
> george
>

> "ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
> news:o GZ41Hs8EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Thank you for your feedback Carey,
> > I have nero and experience no problems with burning anything with it....
> > I 'm just trying to figure out the picture what the OS is capable of
> > natively. I'm interested with theoretical usage ntbackup utility
together
> > with dvd-rw drives...
> >
> > So, lets say, if what you said was correct and I had a CD-RW drive, the
> > system would recognized the drive as rewritable media drive which gave
me
> > chace to do copy and paste?
> > If that statement is correct, then i'd be able to cut and paste with
cd-rw
> > drive, but now that i have a dvd-rw and insert cd-rw media into it i'am
> > unable to do it which is a bit unfair but well.... i'm just curious.
> >

> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Windows XP does not have native DVD recording capabilities.
> >> You'll need a third-party DVD recording program, such as Nero.
> >> http://www.nero.com/us/index.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >>
> >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

-
> > -----------------

> > such
> > like
> > like
> > media
> > do

January 5, 2005 8:05:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

google for UDF or Packet Writing.
http://pages.prodigy.net/jdjd/cdr/packet.htm looks promising
http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/udf.htm too
even
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5...
says it nicely
just a few to get you started
:-)

> Thank you george,
> So we figure that neither xp nor w2k3 can support DVD-RW drives for
> recording.
> however these os can do CD-RW for recording.
> could you be more specific on general differencies between iso and udf fs
> for the end user or where I could read more on that?
>
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> to add, XP (and thus by extension NTBackup) natively only supports
>> writing
>> standard ISO format discs and not UDF formatted ones, which is what you
>> would need to do what you are after: copy and paste.
>> So far only 3rd party apps support that, not XP (natively)
>>
>> george
>>

>> "ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
>> news:o GZ41Hs8EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> > Thank you for your feedback Carey,
>> > I have nero and experience no problems with burning anything with
>> > it....
>> > I 'm just trying to figure out the picture what the OS is capable of
>> > natively. I'm interested with theoretical usage ntbackup utility
> together
>> > with dvd-rw drives...
>> >
>> > So, lets say, if what you said was correct and I had a CD-RW drive, the
>> > system would recognized the drive as rewritable media drive which gave
> me
>> > chace to do copy and paste?
>> > If that statement is correct, then i'd be able to cut and paste with
> cd-rw
>> > drive, but now that i have a dvd-rw and insert cd-rw media into it i'am
>> > unable to do it which is a bit unfair but well.... i'm just curious.
>> >

>> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

> -
>> > -----------------

>> > such
>> > like
>> > like
>> > media
>> > do

January 5, 2005 12:44:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I have found at least one thing: how to enable system writing to CD-R,RW.
It turned out that you have to enable IMAP CD-Burning COM Service...

> google for UDF or Packet Writing.
> http://pages.prodigy.net/jdjd/cdr/packet.htm looks promising
> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/udf.htm too
> even
> http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5...
> says it nicely
> just a few to get you started
> :-)
> \george
>

> "ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
> > Thank you george,
> > So we figure that neither xp nor w2k3 can support DVD-RW drives for
> > recording.
> > however these os can do CD-RW for recording.
> > could you be more specific on general differencies between iso and udf
fs
> > for the end user or where I could read more on that?
> >
> > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> to add, XP (and thus by extension NTBackup) natively only supports
> >> writing
> >> standard ISO format discs and not UDF formatted ones, which is what you
> >> would need to do what you are after: copy and paste.
> >> So far only 3rd party apps support that, not XP (natively)
> >>
> >> george
> >>

> >> "ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
> >> news:o GZ41Hs8EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > together

> > me
> > cd-rw

-
> > -

January 5, 2005 2:19:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you probably meant:
IMAPI (stands for: Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface)
and not
IMAP (stands for Internet Message Access Protocol)

:-))

news:o tS3mFv8EHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I have found at least one thing: how to enable system writing to CD-R,RW.
> It turned out that you have to enable IMAP CD-Burning COM Service...
>
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> google for UDF or Packet Writing.
>> http://pages.prodigy.net/jdjd/cdr/packet.htm looks promising
>> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/udf.htm too
>> even
>> http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5...
>> says it nicely
>> just a few to get you started
>> :-)
>> \george
>>

>> "ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
>> > Thank you george,
>> > So we figure that neither xp nor w2k3 can support DVD-RW drives for
>> > recording.
>> > however these os can do CD-RW for recording.
>> > could you be more specific on general differencies between iso and udf
> fs
>> > for the end user or where I could read more on that?
>> >
>> > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > together

> the
> gave
>> > me
>> > cd-rw
> i'am

> -
>> > -

> have

January 6, 2005 4:30:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

george your absolutely right on that but that was what i've been asking
for...

"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o yQKmAx8EHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Not to put too fine a point on it, but you probably meant:
> IMAPI (stands for: Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface)
> and not
> IMAP (stands for Internet Message Access Protocol)
>
> :-))
> george
>
> "ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
> news:o tS3mFv8EHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >I have found at least one thing: how to enable system writing to CD-R,RW.
> > It turned out that you have to enable IMAP CD-Burning COM Service...
> >
> > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> google for UDF or Packet Writing.
> >> http://pages.prodigy.net/jdjd/cdr/packet.htm looks promising
> >> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/udf.htm too
> >> even

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5...
> >> says it nicely
> >> just a few to get you started
> >> :-)
> >> \george
> >>

> >> "ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
> > fs

> > the
> > gave
> > i'am

> > -

> > have

January 6, 2005 9:20:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Inline

Unless I've misunderstood your last remark completely,
IMHO IMAP is an applicatin level protocol to access (mail)messages

"ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
news:o VpwDW38EHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> george your absolutely right on that but that was what i've been asking
> for...
I don't understand this last remark (about what you've been asking for)

IMAP(Internet Message Access Protocol) is an application level standard
protocol for accessing e-mail from your local mailserver. Notably MS
Exchange uses it.
IMAPI (Image Mastering API) is a programming interface that allows an
application to stage and burn a simple audio or data image to CD-R and CD-RW
devices.
As you may appreciate, two completely unrelated technologies for two
completely different things.
So if your quest was: "does IMAP do UDF packet writing to CD's or DVD's?"
Definitely does not and very likely never will.

george

> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o yQKmAx8EHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Not to put too fine a point on it, but you probably meant:
>> IMAPI (stands for: Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface)
>> and not
>> IMAP (stands for Internet Message Access Protocol)
>>
>> :-))
>> george
>>
>> "ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
>> news:o tS3mFv8EHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> >I have found at least one thing: how to enable system writing to
>> >CD-R,RW.
>> > It turned out that you have to enable IMAP CD-Burning COM Service...
>> >
>> > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >>
> http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5...

> udf
>> > fs

> of

> drive,
>> > the
>> > gave
> with
>> > i'am
> curious.

> -
>> > -

> so
> example
>> > have

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:00:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

> I'm interested with theoretical usage ntbackup utility together with
dvd-rw drives

You could use http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/, however it's
third-party and dvd+rw.

ILiya wrote:
> Probably what I've asked could also be put as how to enable recording
> facility on a drive. I didn't know that only CDs are supported
though. So
> the answer could be like enabling IMAPI service would solve the
puzzle with
> mentioning that dvd burning is not yet natively provided.
>
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Inline
> >

> > Unless I've misunderstood your last remark completely,
> > IMHO IMAP is an applicatin level protocol to access (mail)messages
> >
> > "ILiya" <iliya@arh.ru> wrote in message
> > news:o VpwDW38EHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > > george your absolutely right on that but that was what i've been
asking
> > > for...
> > I don't understand this last remark (about what you've been asking
for)

> > IMAP(Internet Message Access Protocol) is an application level
standard
> > protocol for accessing e-mail from your local mailserver. Notably
MS
> > Exchange uses it.
> > IMAPI (Image Mastering API) is a programming interface that allows
an
> > application to stage and burn a simple audio or data image to CD-R
and
> CD-RW
> > devices.
> > As you may appreciate, two completely unrelated technologies for
two
> > completely different things.
> > So if your quest was: "does IMAP do UDF packet writing to CD's or
DVD's?"
> > Definitely does not and very likely never will.
> >
> > george
> >

> > > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o yQKmAx8EHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Interface)