Closed

Windows 2003 SBS server groups? query Terminal services

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 6, 2005 8:56:03 PM

Hi all

Is there a newsgroup for Windows 2003 SBS?

If not I hope u don't mind me posting this query, as one of u may know
the answer.

I made the mistake of buying with a server system, a OEM version of
Windows 2003 SBS standard as I was unaware that there was a advanced
version, unlike 2000.
So I can only allow two remote clients to log in using remote login
Question. Is there a way of upgrading Terminal services or do I have
to buy and and install 2003 SBS advanced?

Thanks in advance
Phil

emails welcome

phillip@pmassociates.com.au
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:56:04 PM

Phil J Mitchell wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Is there a newsgroup for Windows 2003 SBS?

Yes - microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

> If not I hope u don't mind me posting this query, as one of u may know
> the answer.
>
> I made the mistake of buying with a server system, a OEM version of
> Windows 2003 SBS standard as I was unaware that there was a advanced
> version, unlike 2000.
> So I can only allow two remote clients to log in using remote login
> Question. Is there a way of upgrading Terminal services or do I have
> to buy and and install 2003 SBS advanced?

You can't use Terminal Services on SBS 2003 in either Standard or Premium,
OEM or retail.. You can use only Remote Desktop (for remote admin).
You shouldn't use a DC/Exchange box for terminal services in any case - even
in earlier versions of SBS that allowed it - users should not log into your
SBS box and no workstation apps should be installed on it. If you need
terminal services, you'll need another TS box (W2000, W2003) - but you
should also look into Remote Web Workplace if you have XP Pro clients &
don't have a huge budget.

!