Older IDE drive

chuckt

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
I have two IDE hard drives that were built in 1999. I'm looking for an enclosure that would work with them. I was told by one manufacturing representative that their case wouldn't work with mine but I don't know if I am just getting the run around because someone doesn't know, just wants to be safe or just doesn't want to bother with me because they are answering questions I didn't ask and they aren't telling me what kind of controller or enclosure I need.

I wanted a 5.25 inch case that I could swap a RW-DVD drive with.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
heres a selection of external drive enclosures on outpost.com you can look through... depending on your budget and requirements, you may find one that works:

http://shop4.outpost.com/category/Outpost/Electronic+Components/Computer+Components/Cases/External+Enclosures?accipterAreaString=

chuckt

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
I already bought an IDE case and one of the hard drives already runs in my old computer but not in the IDE case. I don't want to buy another case unless I know what I need and a lot of companies don't display enough information to let me know what I need. The case I was looking at said that it accepts 'all IDE drives' and when I talked to the representative he said it only worked with ATA133.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... it could be that the case only supports dma6 (ata133), and only dma6 compatible devices at that (kinda misleading then it sounds like)... but, as long as a case is backwards compatable with dma5 (ata100), dma4 (ata66), or dma2(ata33)... then it should work with your hdds as well, depending on which dma modes your hdds support also

it may be an option you can change in your bios possibly, to switch between different dma modes

chuckt

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Thank you.

I'm guessing that since DMA 33 was available on Windows 95 and if I can find a case that works with DMA 33 then I might be able to read the drive since my computer runs Windows 98.