Need to SWAP OUT drives...

Have a 4 year old Windows 2000 Server running on 2 9 gig drives
(non-mirrored). Would like to switch out the primary and secondary drives and
add two 120GB hdd's that are mirrored. My Windows Server experience does not
include a task such as this. I'd like to know the best way to get all the
data off the old drives and on to the new drives.

Can I do it all with the "Backup Service" doing a full-backup or do I need a
3rd party tool to make things happen? Seeking advice.

Thanks,

- Rex

In article <12C4D8F1-26A9-411B-BBFB-0400DBEEE30A@microsoft.com>,
codefrog@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Have a 4 year old Windows 2000 Server running on 2 9 gig drives
> (non-mirrored). Would like to switch out the primary and secondary drives and
> add two 120GB hdd's that are mirrored. My Windows Server experience does not
> include a task such as this. I'd like to know the best way to get all the
> data off the old drives and on to the new drives.
>
> Can I do it all with the "Backup Service" doing a full-backup or do I need a
> 3rd party tool to make things happen? Seeking advice.

Before Symantec changed Ghost to the new version I would have said to
use GHOST to make a mirror copy of the old drive 0 to the new drive and
then copy the other files from drive 1 to a second partition on it -
then mirror the two new drives. I'm not sure about the new ghost app,
it's not by the same company that wrote Ghost which was then purchased
by Symantec.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

=?Utf-8?B?Y29kZS1mcm9n?= <codefrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Have a 4 year old Windows 2000 Server running on 2 9 gig drives
> (non-mirrored). Would like to switch out the primary and secondary
> drives and add two 120GB hdd's that are mirrored. My Windows Server
> experience does not include a task such as this. I'd like to know the
> best way to get all the data off the old drives and on to the new
> drives.
>
> Can I do it all with the "Backup Service" doing a full-backup or do I
> need a 3rd party tool to make things happen? Seeking advice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Rex

You can do it with NTBackup in Windows 2000. If you have a tape drive
you can do the backup to tape. Or you can backup to another computer. Or
you can put in one of the new drives and backup to it. If you have
programs installed on the second drive then those programs will need to
be reinstalled to move them over. If just data then you reconfigure the
programs to look for data on C. You could also use Ghost to do the
process, with it you would image to another computer on the network.
Here is the basic process with NTBackup.

1. Backup all of C drive including System State.
2. Backup all of D drive.
3. Replace drives
4. Do a new install of 2000 Server to C drive
5. Partition and format D drive for now because you will restore to
it.
6. Restore the data from old D to new D.
7. Restore all of C including System State.
8. Reinstall programs as necessary and move data until everything is
loaded and working on the C drive.
9. Delete the partition on D.
10. Convert D and C to Dynamic Disks being certain to reboot 2 times
as directed when converting C.
11. Mirror C to the second drive.

This is the basic process. Good luck.

Leonard Severt
Microsoft Enterprise Support

rights.

As a caveat the new ghost 9.0 does not support windows server.
"Leonard Severt [MSFT]" <leons@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> =?Utf-8?B?Y29kZS1mcm9n?= <codefrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Have a 4 year old Windows 2000 Server running on 2 9 gig drives
> > (non-mirrored). Would like to switch out the primary and secondary
> > drives and add two 120GB hdd's that are mirrored. My Windows Server
> > experience does not include a task such as this. I'd like to know the
> > best way to get all the data off the old drives and on to the new
> > drives.
> >
> > Can I do it all with the "Backup Service" doing a full-backup or do I
> > need a 3rd party tool to make things happen? Seeking advice.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > - Rex
>
> You can do it with NTBackup in Windows 2000. If you have a tape drive
> you can do the backup to tape. Or you can backup to another computer. Or
> you can put in one of the new drives and backup to it. If you have
> programs installed on the second drive then those programs will need to
> be reinstalled to move them over. If just data then you reconfigure the
> programs to look for data on C. You could also use Ghost to do the
> process, with it you would image to another computer on the network.
> Here is the basic process with NTBackup.
>
> 1. Backup all of C drive including System State.
> 2. Backup all of D drive.
> 3. Replace drives
> 4. Do a new install of 2000 Server to C drive
> 5. Partition and format D drive for now because you will restore to
> it.
> 6. Restore the data from old D to new D.
> 7. Restore all of C including System State.
> 8. Reinstall programs as necessary and move data until everything is
> loaded and working on the C drive.
> 9. Delete the partition on D.
> 10. Convert D and C to Dynamic Disks being certain to reboot 2 times
> as directed when converting C.
> 11. Mirror C to the second drive.
>
> This is the basic process. Good luck.
>
> Leonard Severt
> Microsoft Enterprise Support

> rights.

May I suggest that due to registry entries you will want to partition
the first disk being restored to as c: and d:. Leave the 2nd drive
disconnected from power during these operations. Get c: and d:
restored, then mirror drive 1 to drive 2.

It has been my experience working with Ghost versions previous to the
latest that when they say it doesn't work with server they mean it
doesn't work running it from inside w2k server. But if you boot up on
a boot disk and run it that way it will work. Problem comes in with
the pagefile too small issue. Running w2k install and choosing repair
is how I have fixed this in the past.

--
wanderer