taz23340

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
hi all new here

i have a 3.4ht 478 socket that i just installed a zalman cpns 7700 that doesnt let the temps go above 46 even at full load at low speed so i was thinking on overclocking it to tweak out a little mroe oopmh untill i go big in the summer and get a core two sli rig(i can dream cant i).
system is
abit vt7 board
kingston generic ddr400 1gig(2x512mb) ram
two sata wd drives(80g xp 200g music)
two ide optical (nec dvdrw-lg dvdrom/cdrw)
raidmax 450w power supply
x1600pro 256mb agp video, possibly x1650pro512 in next few days.

so i read many overclocking how to's on this site and maximum pc. and understand the cpu freq or fsb, and i understand that if i raise the fsb the ram and video speed will increase and be less stable. im just trying to understand what people are saying about putting ram at 5:4 and agp/pci buss at 66/33. can someone explain what will happen when i do that?
and also i understand i should go slowly up by 5mghz or so at a time and then boot up, but when do i try to add voltage to chip and or ram, also it says that my pentium should only go to 1.5v or so after that not much to gain. do i leave ram clock alone since it is generic? and what can i expect to achieve in real world effectiveness in overclocking this chip. will it rip mp3's faster? will i notice a big diff? if i go up maybe to 3.6-3.7?
sry for all the ?'s but would help thanks

taz23340

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
ok all so what ive done is pushed my cpu to 220 times 7, comes out to 3.76. instead of 3.4

i have generice kingston memory so i have to back it down to 5:1 instead of 6:1 so it is at i believe 189 fsb, times 4. i know when i reboot i see 368.

what i wanted to know is

1) what should i do to be able to go beyond 220, i would like to go to 240 so i could get 4 gig. but i tried and i had to reinstall windows as it froze in windows and i got a system32 missing error before loading windows.
i had even tried to repair it but creating tmps and deleting files and installing repair files didnt work.
this is first overclock and you could say the mrs is like why do you need to go faster, i said do you want to spend to buy core 2 now, lol.

2)also could i use to see benefit of overclock in terms of test programs.

3) i would like to get fsb back to 200 so ram is running at capacity, would i then notice the most upgrade?

thanks